User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: I need a hdmi cable!?

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Believe it or not Dollerama sells really good gold plated HDMI cables. My dad bought an expensive one for his TV and I picked up the gold plated dollerama brand and we honestly cannot tell the difference between the two.
    Last edited by liltiggy23; Tue, Mar 13th, 2012 at 01:56 PM.
    Earn money for paypal at cashlagoon
    http://www.cashlagoon.com/?ref=177228

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I purchsed one at Dollarama too. To my surprise, it works great!
    Check out Beyond The Rack for great deals on clothing, accessories and houseware!
    http://www.beyondtherack.com/member/invite/B9563660
    Have you tried Swagbucks? As a student, I am very thankful to have an opportunity to earn gift cards and even cash through PayPal! Good luck =) http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/tomatosoupx

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Unlike an analog signal where size and gold plated and whatnot makes a difference, HDMI is transferring a digital signal, so it either is there, or it's not. The only thing to look for is if the connector is properly attached to the cable or not. This is the stuff I picked up in my classes on this. I would never in a million years pay a "monster" price. I would pay no more than 50 cents per foot, MAX. IF you are transferring over a long distance, (closer to 50') you may begin to notice the picture quality will weaken, but I highly doubt many here will be doing that.
    Last edited by BCSparkyGirl; Thu, Mar 15th, 2012 at 11:42 AM.
    gone shopping!

Hooked on coupons
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

monoprice.com is the only place i buy my stuff

bought many $1.95 hdmi cables there before !!!

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BMyltoft View Post
    I always thought that the monster ones were better made. We never paid full price for them because my Bf's brother worked at a electronics store and would get them at cost. So they are all made the same? A cheaper on isn't going to wreck my device?
    CBC marketplace did a piece specifically on this topic http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/blog/2...tra-bucks.html

The extra $$ for Monster cables etc.... not necessary

Friends don't let friends trade at max value

MY WISHLIST
    RRLF 2014 -> RENEE'S !!! Lactantia butter, Marc Angelo, Casa di Mama

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tbites View Post
    CBC marketplace did a piece specifically on this topic http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/blog/2...tra-bucks.html

The extra $$ for Monster cables etc.... not necessary
    ALWAYS take Marketplace with HUGE grain of salt in their reports. I don't care if it's CBC, Marketplace is exploitative and trash-reporting. The tests they conducted in the segment (c.2008*) only test conductivity of the cable contacts and signal strength over a short term. Also, I'm not convinced they were testing a full-bandwith signal, carrying 1080p screen images, with high bit rate, and uncompressed 7.1 track audio. In fact, the tester used the term 'DVD player', in which the content output does not even HALF fill the bandwidth limits of an HDMI cable.

What he tested were the ability to reproduce the R, G, B, and Sync signals

The tests really don't take into account actual signal transmission nor quality of that signal over time.

The statement that "it's Digital... it's just 1's and 0's... ON or OFF, so it either works or it doesnt work" is a fallacy. there are other variables like CONSITENT signal over a period of time.

Your picture and sound are created of millions of simultaneous 1's and 0's to make up a brief blip on the screen. Any one of those signals failing can cause glitches, even if they aren't readily observed or are insignificant... they're there.

I used to agree with the "$10 cable is just as good" until one day my picture kept artifacting and audio was cutting out. I went to check the connection and found the HDMI cable was hot as blazes and the sheilding was super-soft, near the point of melting.

I started checking my other cables of the same brand, and found they too were hot to touch after only an hour or two of use.

In my case, the online retailer was also the manufacturer and gave me a refund. I bought a higher grade cable, and have had no such problems since.

While I do STRONGLY agree that Monster cable prices are ridiculous, and I would STILL never pay those insane prices, I just as strongly dispute the notion that cheap cables are every bit as good as the most expensive cables. There is a middle ground where a good quality cable can be had for a respectable price point.

--

*Incidentally, and not that it matters, but despite the blog-date on the CBC website, this segment is actually about 4 years old. (I remember seeing this when it aired and it wasnt last fall -- As evidence, notice the classic HNIC theme song which was bought by CTV/TSN back in 2008, and no longer aired on CBC beginning the 2008/2009 season).

That being said, HDMI signals and cables have changed drastically since 2008 and now require more bandwidth for upgraded systems. Features such as uncompressed high-def audio, 3D TV signals, equipment control, audio return, ethernet pass-through, compatibility with greater than 1080p resolutions, etc. have all been introduced and require a high-bandwidth HDMI cable. They have new specs on the cables and often are referred to as HDMI 1.4a (the latest official revision). Buying a $10 dollar-store cable might not be any good.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Tue, Mar 27th, 2012 at 06:27 AM.
    4sure5 likes this.

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

BhLombardy,

You sound like a techie.. which I'm definitely not.... reason why I rely on things like Consumer Reports, consumer shows and reviews. Thanks for the enlightening post.

Friends don't let friends trade at max value

MY WISHLIST
    RRLF 2014 -> RENEE'S !!! Lactantia butter, Marc Angelo, Casa di Mama

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I purchase mega items from http://ww.monoprice.com

They have the BEST prices and shipping is super fast and quite reasonable! I've purchased HDMI cables, ethernet cables, iPhone/iPod/iPad charges, etc., etc.

My husband bought a 50' ethernet cable from Walmart for $30. I bought the same length from monoprice for $6.11. It's way better quality! I always look to monoprice first when I need to buy something!
    Check out my Trade/Wish List here:
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/273700-...-lists-canada/

Commander:Northern armies rock lobster's Avatar
    No one goes off-trail. No one walks alone.
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I bought a new Toshiba blue ray player
    at Sam's club(here in the U.S.) came with a HDMI cable included.
    @
    ;

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

My Shaw cable box came with a HDMI cable. I was surprised to see one.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Mono price, Dollarama, Ebay. While infinitecables.ca 123inkcartridges.ca. Genericcables work well in lengths up to 20-25 meters. If you need something longer, then itmight be worth it to buy something better, like a cheap cable may not be able to manage bandwidth.

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

I tried buying mine at Factory Direct and I so regret it. The picture keeps cutting in out in out while watching a movie. I ran out last night and bought one from Walmart. Not a bad deal, I got a 2pack for $28.96, good size cables and they work great. Some things you can skimp on and somethings you can't. Well at least not too cheap.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

danger_dan likes this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by LegobrandonCP View Post
    Awesome find! The people selling expensive cables must be making a fortune
    Earn money for paypal at cashlagoon
    http://www.cashlagoon.com/?ref=177228

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2