User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Trading Score
    386 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ashokia View Post
    What do you do if your DS is only nine months and already trying to climb out of the crib? We've dropped it as low to the floor as it can go, but it seems like it's just a matter of time before he escapes and I'm worried about him falling and hurting himself.
    How on earth does he manage that :O
    You have yourself a little houdini!! We took the bumper pads off when DS was about 7 months to prevent this climbing from happening. Other than that there is nothing for him to get up on to climb out.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

DD's not yet tried to climb out.
    I've given up (for now) moving her, DS is doing fine in the bed, so I'll leave it as is for now.

And I'm sooooo enjoying having my room back to myself. I missed reading myself to sleep.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

With #2 we went through a whole week of getting out of bed/put back into bed/getting out of bed/put back into bed (you get the idea, it was repeated many many times a night). I spent a week sitting at the top of the stairs going through this (I sit at the top of the stairs so the minute their little feet hit the ground they hear "Get back to bed"). There were tears and yelling. But in the end, she stayed in there. She just needed to realize it was non-negotiable. But it also fits her personality. She pushes the limits constantly.

With #3 we had to take her out of the crib a few days after her 2nd birthday. She broke the crib and it just wasn't safe anymore. It's only now, 6 months later that it has occured to her there is actually nothing keeping her in the bed! I see a few days of sitting at the top of the stairs in my near future!
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    83 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by shmeelady View Post
    How on earth does he manage that :O
    You have yourself a little houdini!! We took the bumper pads off when DS was about 7 months to prevent this climbing from happening. Other than that there is nothing for him to get up on to climb out.
    He just puts both hands on the top of the crib and pulls himself up a couple of inches. He's starting to figure out that he can use his feet against the crib railings as leverage. I couldn't believe it the first time I saw him doing it.

We've never had bumper pads at all, because they told us during the prenatal classes they are not recommended.

It's just such a long way to fall, much higher than the couch or a bed, I'm worried sick about it.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ashokia View Post
    He just puts both hands on the top of the crib and pulls himself up a couple of inches. He's starting to figure out that he can use his feet against the crib railings as leverage. I couldn't believe it the first time I saw him doing it.

We've never had bumper pads at all, because they told us during the prenatal classes they are not recommended.

It's just such a long way to fall, much higher than the couch or a bed, I'm worried sick about it.
    You can put pillows or a mattress by the crib so he'd land on that. Keep in mind in order to get over the rail he has to be able to get up and get at least 1/2 his body over the rail or his leg. He may just be experimenting. But sounds like he is far from actually getting himself over.
    Last edited by Insane; Fri, Mar 16th, 2012 at 12:09 AM.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

My Mother still tells 'horror stories' about my ability to get out of my crib early on (about 18 months). She used to sit at the top of the stairs and wait until I went to sleep (or so she thought), but alas, she would wake up a few hours later after nodding off (since I could out wait her) and find me asleep on the floor beside my crib with a pillow & my blanket that I would pull through the rails (the blanket, not the pillow), and find clothes all over the floor, since my game was to empty my dresser every time too.

I didn't break anything thankfully, but a few of those Houdini tricks was enough for my Mom to put me in a toddler bed early on.

My oldest was also a crib climber, so he went into a toddler bed early as well; I simply installed a baby gate in the bedroom doorway and being persistent with the in/out episodes until he learned that bedtime MEANS bedtime.

couponchick
    Trading Score
    172 (97%)

we had a party for my 21 month old son...with a new baby arrivingin 4 months i wanted some transition time. The day the bed arrived, we took apart the crib, moved it in to the new babies room but kept it dismantled until closer to the time (to allow our son not to see it together and feel someone is stealing it right away). We talked about the big boy bedand made it sound realyl cool, he would have a big boy party, complete with a little cake and his favourite auntie (his only one lol)....

He got shark bedding....we washed it the week before and looked at it every day.

The day the bed came (first thing in the am) I took the day off since it was a friday and we literally played in the bed ALL day long. He now loves it.

Only problem is he wakes in the night, always has but now at least he dosent cry when he wakes but just comes running through the hallway.....sigh

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My daughter was a climber at an early age. I think she was 14 months the first time she got out of her crib. We quickly got a toddler bed for her since staying in a crib was not an option for her safety. I think all I did was put a baby gate up across her door to slow her down when she got out of bed and attempted to get out of her room.(she would also climb the gate) After a few night she got the idea that she had to stay in bed. Now that she is 16 it is a battle to get her to get up and out of bed!!!!

Now my youngest son didn't really go into his own bed full time until he was 4. He had some health issues and since I was a single parent since he was 6 months old I just kept him in bed with me. It was the only way I could sleep at night when he was ill since even a cold could cause a trip to the e.r. (he is now 8 and is healthy after a minor heart operation at the age of 4) To this day he still doesn't sleep thought the night at times and will attempt to run havoc through the house if I don't get up and make him lay on the couch with me on one end and him on the other. (he is ADHD/ Autistic.) But I refuse to let him in my bed since I am not on my own anymore.

Now my 13 year old son was great moving into a bed. We made a huge deal about him getting a big boy bed. Let him pick out bedding and got him to help take the crib down and set up his "big boy room" All it took was a few nights of me sitting beside the bed rubbing his back for him to sleep in there.
    Not All Disabilities Are Visible. Proud owner of a medical alert wonder pup. (formally a puppy mill pup that was rescued and assists a special needs child)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information