User Tag List

Page 2412 of 3022 FirstFirst ... 1412 1912 2312 2362 2402 2410 2411 2412 2413 2414 2422 2462 2512 2912 ... LastLast
Results 36,166 to 36,180 of 45330
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Club Q Q107-Loyalty Club (Southern ON Only)

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Andit View Post
    They seem to come every 3-4 months. I've done 2 since last Aug (had dial-up before & couldn't even access the page, let alone do them - I was living in the dark ages).

Hope this helps.
    Thanks Andit.

I go poking around Club Q and keep checking on it, so I got curious....Not unlike this site- I keep poking around my profile, trying to figure out what these "rep" things are! As soon as I figure it out, I'll return some of the reps I've been receiving...lol
    Are there any SUBURBAN legends?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Chers1 View Post
    My Grandfather, who live till he was 95 quoted the very same thing, but more in regards to beer..he also loved his scotch...glava.. brandy.. wine..ok.. so my Grandfather was well preserved..but when he died..he still had all his wits about him AND still had his red hair
    That sounds a lot like me....the "well-preserved" and red-haired parts, not so much the 95 year-old part.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred404 View Post
    Thanks Andit.

I go poking around Club Q and keep checking on it, so I got curious....Not unlike this site- I keep poking around my profile, trying to figure out what these "rep" things are! As soon as I figure it out, I'll return some of the reps I've been receiving...lol
    Reps are a way of sending little notes to people. On the left side of a post, under a poster's name, you'll find 3 symbols. The funny looking one in the middle is supposed to be a scale & looks like this:

If you click on it, you'll get a message saying, "Add reputation to (poster)?" with a blank space where you can post a note if you like (it's not mandatory).

The more rep you give (& subsequently receive), the more bars & hearts & stars you get along the side. I don't have a clue how all that works (not high on my list of priorities, since I don't really pay attention to these things & use the reps as a means to say hi to folks).

Hope this makes it a tiny bit less confusing.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Andit View Post

Hope this makes it a tiny bit less confusing.
    Absolutely, and thanks again!

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Hope everyone has fun this afternoon!

I'm off to make sure that Billy Bishop gets to war on time, yet again. That or I have to see to it that Love's Labours don't get Lost, especially the day before Valentine's.

Can't wait to hear an update from the boys on the concert tonight!

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Summer365 View Post
    I really do not think they will continue. Very few will want to make that decision in the event that someone else dies. And from what I have seen and read, that would be a very distinct possibility. The track was very poorly designed, and someone needs to take responsibility for that fact.
    The track has been there since prior to the 88 Olympics. It is classified as a world best. It's only flaw in it's design is that it allows the athletes to push beyond their limits. I do agree that a screen should have been up in that area since it's obvious the speeds are still great there. Well you won't have to worry about these breakneck speeds at the next Olypics because the Russians were already told prior to these accident to keep the speeds down at 130ish kmh. Hindsight is awesome isn't it.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by tartanrocker View Post
    ....I thought the ceremonies were really good, considering the diminished budget and distinct lack of access to a gazillion bodies to cover the stadium floor, as per the China summer games....loved the whales, k.d. lang, can't stand that Furtado babe, fabulous poem read by the fella from the NWT, great show of support for those poor Georgia athletes, what a nightmare for them and the games in general.....the whole thing was understated, and very clever with all the screens and video show on the floor....it came across as typical "don't mind us, we're Canadian" .... wouldn't have expected anything different there, but still, it was very elegantly done.....

....and oooh boy, you just don't wanna be the guy responsible for the final support column not erupting at the end.....everything went off really well, but the last column malfunction will be what is remembered ....I can just picture all the people running around insanely, trying to get it working.... such is life..... as Roseanne Roseannadanna used to say, "There's always something".... LOL!!....TR
    I do not think that the opening ceremonies went well at all. Not only were they somewhat botched from the word go, due to a lack of organization, but they did not in the least portray an accurate image of Canada. We are not a land comprised mainly of Aboriginal People, nor are we a land where French is a common language outside the province of Quebec, but that is exactly the images that the ceremonies portrayed to the World.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by 6ffightr9 View Post
    The track has been there since prior to the 88 Olympics. It is classified as a world best. It's only flaw in it's design is that it allows the athletes to push beyond their limits. I do agree that a screen should have been up in that area since it's obvious the speeds are still great there. Well you won't have to worry about these breakneck speeds at the next Olypics because the Russians were already told prior to these accident to keep the speeds down at 130ish kmh. Hindsight is awesome isn't it.
    No, the track has not been classified as the World's best. It has been classified as the World's fastest. There is a vast difference! Faster does not mean better, as this tragic accident has clearly proven.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

No, the track has not been classified as the World's best. It has been classified as the World's fastest. There is a vast difference! Faster does not mean better, as this tragic accident has clearly proven.
    Actually the athletes themselves have classified it as one of the best tracks because of the combination of tight turns with high speeds to test their technical skills. Not the best because of it's scenery. Also as psells asked why did those steel columns need to be so close. People will always get hurt or die when you push them to the limit of their skills and ability, and that applies to everyday activities also.
    Last edited by 6ffightr9; Sat, Feb 13th, 2010 at 12:40 PM.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Actually the athletes themselves have classified it as one of the best tracks because of the combination of tight turns with high speeds to test their technical skills. Not the best because of it's scenery. Also as psells asked why did those steel posts need to be so close. People will always get hurt or die when you push them to the limit of their skills and ability, and that applies to everyday activities also.
    Again, No! The athletes have not classified it as one of the "best" tracks. Quite the opposite! The athletes have classified it as the "fastest", and in fact very dangerous. Nowhere do I see where any athlete has used the word "best". It should also be noted that many comments regarding the track's potential dangers actually came out before the accident, but were apparently ignored. Again, I do not think you will find any article anywhere using the word "best" to describe the Vancouver track, especially from an athlete. If you actually have one, please provide a link to it.

"Even before the accident, questions about the “exceedingly dangerous,” 1,450-m-long course — the fastest on earth — were being raised. The top speed reached at the track at Fitzsimmon’s Creek, on Blackcomb Mountain is 153.93 kph. Kumaritashvili was believed to have been travelling at 143.3 kph."

“I think they are pushing it a little too much,” Australia’s Hannah Campbell-Pegg said Thursday night after she nearly lost control in training. “To what extent are we just little lemmings that they just throw down a track and we’re crash-test dummies? I mean, this is our lives.”

Source: http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/02/12/d...mpetitiveness/

"Deadly Olympics Luge Track Had Worried Athletes"

Source: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...ad_worrie.html

"Athletes had feared luge track's killer potential: Fastest course ever claims Georgian luger"

Source: http://olympics.thestar.com/2010/art...r-luged-before

"Too fast. Too dangerous. And too deadly for a mere sled — basically, a missile upon which a human being slides face-up and feet-first, vulnerable to his immediate demise."

Source: http://www.frugal-cafe.com/public_ht...thlete-killed/

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by electric_viking View Post
    hey gang, big show is tonight. can't wait.
    went to soho and st pancras this morning. bought a 16 y.o. bottle of scotch from a small shop in soho. was their own brand. hope it's good. was expensive.
    catch you all when i return.

e_v
    Oh man, what a wonderful adventure! Stay sober enough to remember the whole thing though! Have a great time!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have a friend who's goal in life, it seems, is to refute the existence of anything that requires "faith", as in religion, kharma and fate. While I share the same beliefs as my friend, he often gets into heated arguments with people over what amounts to inconsequential opinion.

In general, my friend is always polite, whereas I am usually quite abrupt with most people. He is soft-spoken whereas I am harsh. I have many friends and he has only a few. He doesn't understand why he is always "getting attacked" by people he talks to.

My simple explanation is that he needs to learn to pick his spots and not turn differing opinions into arguments, even if those opinions are wrong. I get along well with everyone, simply because I respect everyone's right to be wrong...and if I'm wrong, I hope they can respect my right as well.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Again, No! The athletes have not classified it as one of the "best" tracks. Quite the opposite! The athletes have classified it as the "fastest", and in fact very dangerous. Nowhere do I see where any athlete has used the word "best". It should also be noted that many comments regarding the track's potential dangers actually came out before the accident, but were apparently ignored. Again, I do not think you will find any article anywhere using the word "best" to describe the Vancouver track, especially from an athlete. If you actually have one, please provide a link to it.

"Even before the accident, questions about the “exceedingly dangerous,” 1,450-m-long course — the fastest on earth — were being raised. The top speed reached at the track at Fitzsimmon’s Creek, on Blackcomb Mountain is 153.93 kph. Kumaritashvili was believed to have been travelling at 143.3 kph."

“I think they are pushing it a little too much,” Australia’s Hannah Campbell-Pegg said Thursday night after she nearly lost control in training. “To what extent are we just little lemmings that they just throw down a track and we’re crash-test dummies? I mean, this is our lives.”

Source: http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/02/12/d...mpetitiveness/

"Deadly Olympics Luge Track Had Worried Athletes"

Source: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...ad_worrie.html

"Athletes had feared luge track's killer potential: Fastest course ever claims Georgian luger"

Source: http://olympics.thestar.com/2010/art...r-luged-before

"Too fast. Too dangerous. And too deadly for a mere sled — basically, a missile upon which a human being slides face-up and feet-first, vulnerable to his immediate demise."

Source: http://www.frugal-cafe.com/public_ht...thlete-killed/

Over 20 years and now it's a problem. It sounds like some of the lesser established athletes want the course brought too their level not the athletes up to the challenge of the course. Now they are going to start from the womans spot. Like teeing off from the ladies tee in golf. There wasn't as much said when the bobsledder was killed at Lake Placid. It was just one of those things.

Oh on another note. I thought the rules of this forum banned advertising products on it.
    Last edited by 6ffightr9; Sat, Feb 13th, 2010 at 01:29 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The Whistler sliding centre completed construction in 2007. The first test runs on the luge track were in February 2008. There are obviously many flaws in its design - too steep - too fast - no crash barriers. Yes hindsight is awesome, even more so when it is accurate.

But hey, we made some progress here - looks like we agreed on the crash barriers and the placement of the columns.
    Last edited by psells; Sat, Feb 13th, 2010 at 01:40 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by psells View Post
    The Whistler sliding centre completed construction in 2007. The first test runs on the luge track were in February 2008. There are obviously many flaws in its design - too steep - too fast - no crash barriers. Yes hindsight is awesome, even more so when it is accurate.

But hey, we made some progress here - looks like we agreed on the crash barriers and the placement of the columns.

When your right your right.

Thread Information