User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: ODSP - I've had to apply.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

lecale, are you sure you want to put your health in jeopardy by trying to go back to work? Have you tried doing volunteer work (I know you help out in your neighbourhood, but what about working for a larger charity in an office setting)?

Whatever you choose to do, please don't overdo it & listen to your body. You don't want to crash. I speak from experience on this.

In my case, I stopped working when I first got sick & had to go on dialysis (I was supposed to go back to work on a modified schedule, but the day I went in to talk to HR, I was laid off - since I'm a saccharinely sweet optimist, I choose to think that she got me a nice severence - the company went kerplunk a month later & everyone lost their jobs). I did a bit of volunteer work (mostly online research for a charity) & once in a while a friend would ask me to do some research for her, but I hadn't worked in 5 yrs when I started volunteering at the theatre. My first night I played coat check girl at a gala event (I was one of 10) & was terrified of messing up (I didn't sleep the night before & nearly called in sick). I went back to help at other events & eventually felt very much at home. My then-boss took a shine to me & eventually offered me a job. I credit him with helping me get my confidence back, although he would argue otherwise.

So, now I work 1 (or at most 2) days a week. I made the mistake of trying to do more & ended up crashing for a week (& more pain for nearly a month). My once a week outing fills my need to work & feel like I'm a contributing member of society. I do some volunteer work, mostly in my neighbourhood since travel can be a bit of an issue with my lack of stamina. I also have great parents & a lovely network of friends (some I've known since childhood, some since university days, some recent that I met through Lily dog, some online who I now meet with regularly & some online whom I've yet to meet) who fill any empty spots left in my life. & of course I have the roommates (Lily dog who was my physiotherapist & helped me relearn to walk & Quincy cat who is my jealous boyfriend) who make sure I eat on time, have lots of play time & get fresh air every day. At this point, between my lack of energy & the things going on in my life, I don't think I'd have time for a full time job!

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Sexy Canadian Genius Miss_April's Avatar
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

I'm hanging in there my best!

Had a rough night on thursday had a seizure and fell down the stairs. Thank god my boyfriend was home at the time to be there when I came to. So I will be recovering for a week or so now.

I'm glad this thread is here for anyone who wants to share their odsp stories, feel free to share anything you would like I will keep anyone negative out of here.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Mon, Aug 13th, 2012 at 11:50 AM.

Trading Score
    11 (100%)

It was quite the fall! I'm used to it now (strange, huh?) falling down and such. Bruised, bitten tounge, the works. I'm so happy I didn't seriously hurt myself, I usually just run up and down stairs no problems but this was so sudden. I don't know! It's all bit of a mess. I just hate scaring my boyfriend half to death.

I've recently started looking into seizure alert dogs so maybe that is an option for me.

Well I certainly love my meds. I couldn't survive without them. I don't know what I would do if I had no money to buy them or no job with benefits to get the medication.

I feel like running away!

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Take a look at VNS (Vagal nerve stimulator), it had pretty good results for depression and epilepsy. 1st indication is epilepsy but also has proven results for depression and migrains.

Hopefully you find a treatment that works for you asap!

Happy easter!

PS, if you have questions let me know, I used to work for the manufacturer, Cyberonics.
    Last edited by ING_rep; Sun, Apr 8th, 2012 at 11:48 AM.
    MY ORANGE KEY 16680564S1
    Every time a friend opens a Tangerine Account with $100 or more and uses your Orange Key, you'll both get $25.

Trading Score
    11 (100%)

Thank you

I will take a look into it!

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Mon, Aug 13th, 2012 at 11:51 AM.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Wow lots of info here!! I have a question what do you do if you dr. Will not fill out anymore forms ? But she will not put me back to work?? I got my GP to refer me to a new dr but ltd is telling me they need the last dr??? My union will not get involved until after my appeal is denied! (my claim was denied and my neurologist will not write the appeal letter-- she said she already wrote everything--so I said but me back to work!) she says no you can't!!!! So frustrating!!! I have not got paid since March 2011!
    New mom October 2014!

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

^soo tricky!!!! Yes my neurologist (old) did the forms but just put the minimum !! That is why I got denied she did not state what I could not do and do . She just put I cannot do anything!! She wrote one word answers and tht is it. When I asked and asked for the appeal letter. She wrote 5 sentences !! Saying what I suffer from. That I need to be off work. And that no treatment is working. And that I cannot do anything! She also wrote that she sent me for cognitive behavior therapy and I refused!! (I said I could not come to her hospital every week to do the therapy!!and that I will get my GP to find me one by me-which I did!! And told her I did!!)but then again I only saw her 2 x and then I have seen her nurse practitioner for the rest!! So frustrated!! She took me off all meds and said to come back in 9 months!! So I am going to a pain clinic now and a psychiatrist---but they don't know what to do with me!!!
    New mom October 2014!

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

I GOT GAME, DO YOU? gameprogirl's Avatar
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I'm still having issues too. This is unbelievable. I've been sick and getting worse since 2007. 90% of the time I cant even go out because of my illness. Been denied twice, I wish I could just go back to work, I haven't had a paycheck since 2009.

They should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this to continue. Not only am I stressed from being ill and having no income, now I need a lawyer and have to fight for what I need.
    Join Ebates for cashback on all purchases!
    http://www.ebates.ca/referrer?referrerid=Hm3B6tvDY78%3D

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

I GOT GAME, DO YOU? gameprogirl's Avatar
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    Do check out Legal Aid. You have to have income under $18k for singles and $27k for couples...if you have kids it's higher. Eligibility and ODSP/OW info

Honestly, it seems that if you have a good education behind you it is harder to get approved with these programs. Specifically, it seems that a high school dropout who is older, who does a physical job and later needs to apply to ODSP, is more likely to be approved than someone who has the skills for office work...because the older manual worker without a high school diploma has fewer alternate jobs open to them, it easier to find them disabled.

So, if you are an office type, make sure you are putting in a lot of detail about your mental state. I don't mean you personally, but if "you" have an addiction...I have met people who hit the bottle due to pain...do mention it in your application because ODSP cannot discriminate against you for this. If you present it as part of the picture of your illness it will help. If your relationships, particularly family ones, have gone down the toilet, write about this as well. There is no such thing as TMI when it comes to those forms. (Now, because electronic health records you will have that tag on your file forever, for better or worse...again I think I have seen it help more than hinder though.)

Thanks for the advice, my situation is one I could write a book on for sure. My family life is very erratic and my husband has adhd which is difficult to deal with. I'm very depressed right now actually. I have to go to a meeting with a disability assessment worker so they are gonna hear it all. I might have even had some sort of breakdown last Nov when we were evicted for Christmas. Its been really rough.
    Join Ebates for cashback on all purchases!
    http://www.ebates.ca/referrer?referrerid=Hm3B6tvDY78%3D

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information