User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Saving money is my goal..
    Trading Score
    19 (100%)

OMG, I hadn't heard anything about RCSS before today. We have always bought our food there, I guess I will be going else where now. Yikes...

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I think everyon needs to realize this just isnt Superstore, its widespread to a lot more stores and chains we as consumers need to stop putting up with this disgusting practice.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

We have bought our meat from a local farmer who my dh knows and trusts for years now. The meat tastes so different/much better then anything I ever bought in a grocery store. It costs us a bit to buy a half cow at a time, but I think it does save in the long run. We never throw meat out and I'm not going all over town looking for sales. We have also started buying chickens this way, and finally realized what chicken is actually supposed to taste like! Again, we have to buy in bulk, but I will never buy a store chicken again.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cardmaker View Post
    We have bought our meat from a local farmer who my dh knows and trusts for years now. The meat tastes so different/much better then anything I ever bought in a grocery store. It costs us a bit to buy a half cow at a time, but I think it does save in the long run. We never throw meat out and I'm not going all over town looking for sales. We have also started buying chickens this way, and finally realized what chicken is actually supposed to taste like! Again, we have to buy in bulk, but I will never buy a store chicken again.
    I would love to be able to do this - I don't like buying meat from big-box stores, and love the idea of both organic meat and supporting farmers directly, but my lack of a deep freezer prevents it (love my little condo, but it is too little!!).

Trading Score
    232 (100%)

I've never bought meat @ RCSS for the same reasons as many have already mentioned here. I also stopped buying stuff made in their bakery when I saw flies landing on their fresh baked goods () because 1 of the window panes where the products are displayed/sold was broken. It was soooo disgusting!! Don't even get me started on the bulk bins there!

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Theres lots of great local butchers and seafood stores who would love your business, and a lot of them have very high quality standards... ever wonder why the high end restaurant meat tastes so good? This is where they get it from.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I cannot believe this is happening in Canada! And I think if RCSS is doing it, probably every grocery store is doing it cuz there's no regulation to control this.

My bf once bought a pack of sausage in Safeway. When he got home he found there were some mold on the sausage. He went back to Safeway and the clerk told him to pick another same product. So he check the item again and found out every pack of sausage all had mold! He told the clerk about this then they agreed to give him money back.

I heard that Canada government has strong control when it comes to vitamin and medicines, but this is a big turn off for a lot of consumers (at least me!) I don't even know where to shop now....
    Last edited by yahoo1014; Wed, Jan 25th, 2012 at 10:49 PM.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I see lots of stores that change the best before date on meat. And that meat is usually marked down by 30% or 50%. I've never had a problem with the meat because I usually cook it or freeze it the same day I buy it. If the meat looks grey or discolored though, I don't buy it.
    SMILE - and make the world a better place

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    49 (100%)

Son use to work in the meat dept .. He told me NOT to ever buy meat that has spices as it old meat ready to expire and they put spices onit tomake it last a bit longer....btw it also cost more... yuck...

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I've overheard a few diferent meat dept guys chatting about which packs to take in the back and rewrap... I thought it was illegal to alter the best before dates.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by grannyg View Post
    Son use to work in the meat dept .. He told me NOT to ever buy meat that has spices as it old meat ready to expire and they put spices onit tomake it last a bit longer....btw it also cost more... yuck...
    unfortunately it's a very common practice in a lot of countries.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

theres a thread already about this when they got caught last year! I swear!

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

here it is! Merging

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

one year later and they haven't learned their lesson.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

The problem with seafood is that a lot of people are conditioned to think it's normal for fish to stink. Fresh fish shouldn't have any bad odor. I buy most of my fish frozen from Costco and I haven't had any problems. I do remember years ago that Superstore would put a very small "r" on their package labels in the fish department, which meant it was rewrapped. I'm not sure whether they still do this.

Every time I'm at a grocery store, doesn't matter which one, I find perishable goods left in the aisles. Would it kill a person to put it back, or at least put in a cooler or hand it over to the cashier? Sometimes it is obvious when meat or vegetables have been thawed and then refrozen, sometimes you can't tell.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information