User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I am close to buying a new computer & was wondering if anyone here has had any dealings with Staples.....Good or bad? It's between them and The Source/Circut City & I am just trying to find out who has the better quality products & customer service. Future Shop is definately out of the question. Everything there was overpriced except for their computers & the salespeople try to use scare tactics to get you to buy more warranty.
    This thread is currently associated with: Future Shop, Staples, The Source

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I would put The Source slightly above MDG computers which is at the downright bottom. Staples is good - Futureshop/Bestbuy I'd rate second.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Thanks. I found Future Shop was trying to use "scare tactics" to sell me the extra warranty which I did not appreciate. It's like telling me we are selling junk which will likely breakdown & if you do not buy our warranty you are done. Plus they said if it did crap out in the first year I would have to send it back to the manufactuer & would be without my computer for 3 months or more. 90% sure I'll be going with Staples, they seem to have the best rep from what I have been told so far.

Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Bought mine at staples 6 years ago.....(did purchase the insurance which I didn't need) but no complaints !!!!

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

With the high depreciation of technology over 1 or 2 years it makes little sense to purchase any type of extended warranty. Manufacturers usually cover the item for at least 1 year some 2 or 3 years. Most often the extended warranty is where retail stores draw a lot of profit from. I figure they're just a scam..

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

There's always a "Clearance Board" in Staples stores; some new, some open box, some demos. Cheaper prices, but still get full manufacturer warranty.

I managed to get a Toshiba laptop (demo, otherwise "new") for under $300 just last month! Not to mention, I also grabbed a brand new/factory sealed desktop comp for my friend a couple weeks before that - $147!

Mine, my wife's and many of my friends' computers are from Staples thanks to my deal hunting prowess!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i am montior searching right now and best buy i am not a very happy camper with anyone know of where i can find some coupons or coupon codes to see if i can get a bit more of of one thanks

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

I wouldn't buy anything from The Source, just my opinion, but I have had too many problems with items from them.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I went with Staples. Thanks for the feedback, they seem to have the most positive reviews from the people I haved talked to.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Honestly, I'd go with a dell. I have known some ppl to have issues but we have both a dell desktop (its 8 years old now, but has been upgraded ram etc) and a laptop (3 years old) and haven't had any major issues.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm one of the many people who have had quality issues with Dell, hence why I build my own or buy from Gateway. Neither
    has failed me yet.

It seems more and more common for people to buy the cheapest c***, ie, DELL, and expect to work with no problems. Rarely, this is true.
    Why should I stay? Why should I go? I'm no longer on here. I might ghost in once in a while. But don't bother talking to me, I'm not to stay. Sorry.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Freebie View Post
    I'm one of the many people who have had quality issues with Dell, hence why I build my own or buy from Gateway. Neither
    has failed me yet.

It seems more and more common for people to buy the cheapest c***, ie, DELL, and expect to work with no problems. Rarely, this is true.
    I didn't buy the cheapest c***, thank you very much. Dell had the computer I had wanted with the specifications I wanted, I think it was around 2500 for the laptop (the desktop was cheap, we bought it used from a friend). The laptop I don't consider cheap. For me, dell had the best service contract because I move around so much, its easier for me to deal with something nationwide if I have an issue.

I was just saying that for me, that worked. SO no need to call what i buy cheap c***, or to say that I expected no problems. I had a so called "custom built" computer from a local computer store and had nothing but trouble with it for the four years I had it. So with any computer problems can arise.

I guess I'll just have to keep working with my so called "cheap c***" and expect no problems. As its obvious that must be what I buy and expect.

bcteagirl
    I don't thing YF meant to imply that you bought a bad computer.. I think he meant simply to warn people off of cheap computers from Dell

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by bcteagirl View Post
    I don't thing YF meant to imply that you bought a bad computer.. I think he meant simply to warn people off of cheap computers from Dell
    Right on, I just worded it wrong @.@

Quote Originally Posted by matrix82 View Post
    I didn't buy the cheapest c***, thank you very much. Dell had the computer I had wanted with the specifications I wanted, I think it was around 2500 for the laptop (the desktop was cheap, we bought it used from a friend). The laptop I don't consider cheap. For me, dell had the best service contract because I move around so much, its easier for me to deal with something nationwide if I have an issue.

I was just saying that for me, that worked. SO no need to call what i buy cheap c***, or to say that I expected no problems. I had a so called "custom built" computer from a local computer store and had nothing but trouble with it for the four years I had it. So with any computer problems can arise.

I guess I'll just have to keep working with my so called "cheap c***" and expect no problems. As its obvious that must be what I buy and expect.

And for you, I only have to say that if you buy their $500 and less laptops... they are c***. I don't know about their $2500 ones since I never buy from them after the under $500 mistake I made, so I have no experience with their better stuff. I meant no offence, I just say what first comes to mind.

Thinking about it now, it would be odd for me to complain about them... my dad's Vista laptop is a Dell... although unreliable, it might be Vista, not Dell to blame.
    Why should I stay? Why should I go? I'm no longer on here. I might ghost in once in a while. But don't bother talking to me, I'm not to stay. Sorry.

Have a Banana Daily Beast Master's Avatar
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Staples is ok, but, they do not administer warranties at all.
    Circuit city I have had no problem with them looking after warranties, but, I think it has been changing.
    Future Shop will only provide service if you pay for it....like on a $1600 TV they wanted about $450 for an extended warranty......ridiculous!!!!
    The bottom line is that they all seem to be working towards the same point, they all want you to buy the extended warranty in order for them to provide any after sales service, which is in most cases a total rip off.
    I just shop around and buy the lowest price and avoid makes/brands of electronics I have never heard of before.
    As much as I hate to say it, Wallymart is probably the best around, they often have very low prices and if something goes wrong in the first few months they don't tell you "well...it's your problem not ours".
    Please vote daily for my ferret site.
    http://1award.co.uk/addvote.php?vote=3368

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information