User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Why doesn't SDM better train their employees on the Optimum Program??

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi everyone...this is my first ever post on SC. I hope this is in the right place.

I was at SDM this morning to take advantage of the 20x point event. I carefully planned my purchases and knew that I had over $50, before coupons and taxes. When the cashier was finished with the order she pointed out that the subtotal was less than $50, so I wouldn't get the 20x points. I got confused and asked if the policy had changed (that the total was before coupons to be eligible). She told me that the policy was the same, but that I didn't have enough to qualify. I added up the sale (came to over $50) and explained that it was because of the coupons that the subtotal showed less than $50.

Well, she got quite rude with me and eventually got the head cashier to "explain it to me". The head cashier was of no use, since she "wasn't sure" how the program worked.
    Eventually I added a couple of small things to get that subtotal over $50 to make the cashier happy and of course, I received the 20x points.

When I got home, I called Head Office and the gentleman confirmed that I was correct and that the cashier should not be going by what the subtotal says. He went over the details of my purchase and confirmed that 20x points would have been awarded without those couple of extra items.

I find it incredible that 2 employees (one being the head cashier) had no idea how the program works and instead get a customer all confused. They need to do a better job training their employees.
    This thread is currently associated with: Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

But SDM doesn't want the general public to know that is how it works. Head Office usually doesn't say that it s before coupons because their party line is that it's after coupons. If they did tell us how it works, well mostly us couponers, then the cashiers wouldn't push people to boost their OOP over $50 (those extra $3 here and there add up). Just know what you know - as long as the subtotal is above $50 (without bottle deposits etc) and your coupons are entered as 2001, just go with it.

My total was $66 before coupons, $47 after coupons and the cashier tried to make me purchase something extra. I just said "no thanks, not interested in the points" and in the end I got 13200 which is 660 x20. So just don't worry about it with the automatic SDM point events, except if you have FPCs (entered as code 2002).

Also, welcome to SmartCanucks
    Last edited by alicia; Sat, Apr 14th, 2012 at 03:07 PM.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I hear ya...they tried that with me the last time and I said ..oh well thats all I need...she was stunned when the points showed up.
    I am on my way now to SDM my total should be 52.96 before tax and 38.46 after coupons...I will update how it goes when I return...
    LOL

Savingyourhardearnedmoney
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I agree...very frustrating! I actually carry a receipt from the first time I was brave enough to ignore them and get my total under $50. The receipt is in my wallet and says EXAMPLE!!!!(my writing) across the top. This helps me when I shop there. My number one, complaint(on the surveys) is that the staff are almost totally clueless as to the optimum program, even the managers! When they had the GC promo for 8000 points I was amazed that they wouldn't be taught to promote this as it's good for their revenue, even the manager had no idea it was even happening! I feel your frustration! I am super thankful for this forum, so I can get it straight before I shop!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Welcome to the forum! My mom just called me extremely annoyed about how a cashier demanded she get $6 more to get the 20x, same story you got with their blah blah blah. Mom had spent $80 before coupons and got really mad that she had to buy $8 toilet paper (that she is already fully stocked on), to get it over the "$50." Told her to take it back and that she will still get to keep the points from this time.

Meanwhile I spent $36 after coupons today and my cashier didn't complain one bit. But am now just realizing I got overcharged for excess scans, even after they adjusted my bill!! Arghh. Not going back now
    Last edited by torontogal12; Sun, Apr 15th, 2012 at 09:52 AM.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Both the regular employee and manager last night were shocked I could spend less than $50 but still get the points. The employee even insisted that I take items from my cart to add to DH's transaction in order to get the points. I just said nevermind, its okay, I don't care. Of course DH pipes up and says I thought thats the whole reason why we came. Shut up I mutter under my breath.

After I got the receipt I showed her and she was stunned. She wasn't very nice about it she seemed kinda jealous in a mean way.
    Kyles_Mama and momof3heathens like this.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBunny89 View Post
    Of course DH pipes up and says I thought thats the whole reason why we came. Shut up I mutter under my breath..
    This made me laugh out loud.
    neelkamalll1979 likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    179 (100%)

I always purchase a Shoppers GC prior to my purchases. This morning the cashier stated that she didn't need my Optimum card, that I don't get points on GC's. I told her that yes on Shoppers cards you do. She wasn't that happy that I asked her to put through my optimum card, but did anyhow and I showed her the points that showed up on the end.
    I put through two seperate transactions today. When I told her I was going to do this she told me it was one transaction per person for points. I said that was ok, I have all my stuff I don't want to go anywhere else...I didn't really care for the points just the sales.
    After I gave her all my coupons I heard again that I didn't have enough...blah blah blah. I finally showed her my total points that I earned at the end and she was stunned.
    I was there so long, that we got to talking about coupons and where she can get them too. Finally she relaxed a bit. She had a good deal of patience putting through my $50.00 dollars worth of coupons today...so I gave her some too.
    walkonby likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Its best to just say you aren't interested in the points and you would like to buy your items.
    They have no control over it, the cash register will just give it to you.

I am surprised headoffice admitted it.
    Most stores don't properly train their staff, its not just shoppers!
    FallenPixels and torontogal12 like this.
    Get free gift cards for amazon & paypal. I've earned $100's with the click of my mouse!
    Swagbucks: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/TremorKitty
    Superpoints is BACK! https://www.superpoints.com/join/5Gp...0VOe51KdfmpCzw

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Well, it's hard to say, once I heard from a cashier that since the promotion changes every week, ie this week 20x points, next week Timmy, etc, they wanna make sure everything perfect as it should be, so if you know you are sure over 50$ before coupon (except FPC, or 2002 code coupons) then go ahead, let it go! You will get points for sure without getting the grumpy look from the cashier!
    Want Free Paypal money or Gift Cards? Here you go!!!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/thiennga

Thanks for being my referral!!!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I am guessing most franchise owners, who seem to be the owner-pharmacists, don't have an idea of the staff training for the Optimum program. Have you noticed how many SDMs are named after the limited companies owned by the pharmacists?

For employees to insist on customers on buying more--not only is that bad customer service, it does the chain no good. Might be a good time to caution cashiers "would you prefer that I take my business to a competitor?" when that "insistence" happens. Now, if you do get cashiers that don't know better and pretty much admit it without much attitude, the gentle teaching might get through.
    I noticed that most cashiers at stores are younger (teens, 20s) than me and very few older cashiers who have been with the stores from the start are around (not to mention that it is rare for two store tills to be open--usually it is one cash at exit and maybe the till in cosmetics is open). However, I have found it worthwhile to chat up the long-term staff if line is not long, as they like talking about specials esp. if I have one that they had not realized was in the flyer. Or something of interest to them.

2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post

However, I have found it worthwhile to chat up the long-term staff if line is not long, as they like talking about specials esp. if I have one that they had not realized was in the flyer. Or something of interest to them.
    Smart.
    I agree - scope out the good cashiers and make friends with them.
    It does pay off.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I am surprised HO admitted it also, they are usually very strict on saying coupons are a redemption or discount and so do not count towards totals, I remember when the rep said it on their facebook page and people called to ask (almost to say I told you so) and they said the rep was mistaken
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    162 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBunny89 View Post
    Both the regular employee and manager last night were shocked I could spend less than $50 but still get the points. The employee even insisted that I take items from my cart to add to DH's transaction in order to get the points. I just said nevermind, its okay, I don't care. Of course DH pipes up and says I thought thats the whole reason why we came. Shut up I mutter under my breath.

After I got the receipt I showed her and she was stunned. She wasn't very nice about it she seemed kinda jealous in a mean way.
    First lol at your hubby.

Second why are you guys doing more than one transaction? You would get the same # of bonus points regardless of how much you spend as long as it was over $50 before coupons. 1 $100 transaction is the same as 2 $50 transactions.
    CouponasaurusRex and rigatti like this.
    Zoombucks are back: Please consider using my link to sign up again: https://zoombucks.com/?ref=IIHO0L

Trading Score
    432 (100%)

I run into this all the time too -super frustrating!!

I always have to do more than one transaction, as my local store limits you to 4 of any one item. So if I want to buy 5 cartons of cream etc I have to break it up into 2 transactions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information