User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: The truth behind Cineplex Scene "promotion"

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I'd like to nominate Cineplex for the next Ig Nobel Prize in Mathematics for their excellence in introducing imaginary numbers to the general public.

In my previous thread, I mentioned that I followed up with the Valentine's Day x2 points promotion. Each ticket normally earns you 100 points, I assume most of my fellow Canucks would understood "x2 points when you buy 2 tickets" as getting 400 points.

Name:  cpx_valentines_poster.jpg
Views: 2099
Size:  12.5 KB

Here's what they have to say:

Thank you for your message. For the ‘Valentine’s Day’ bonus points promotion, a minimum of 2 tickets were required to be purchased on the same transaction in order to participate. When a SCENE member purchased 2 ticket, 200 points were earned instead of the regular 100 points. Giving this SCENE member a total of 200 points: 100 points for their purchase + 100 extra bonus points.

This is the ‘Valentines’ x2 bonus points promotion from the e-mail SCENE sent:

“Roses are red, violets are blue. Cineplex wants to celebrate...you. Come to the theatre on Feb. 14 with a beau or a belle (Though a sibling, parent or friend's also swell) The theatre's the perfect place for movie lovers to go... You'll earn 200 SCENE points* each on a Valentine's show!

*Bonus points will be awarded 3-4 weeks following the end of the promotion, which is February 14th at 11:59:59 p.m. Purchase an admission ticket for yourself and a guest and you will earn 2X the SCENE points on both tickets. A maximum of 100 SCENE bonus points will be awarded for per admission ticket purchased and a maximum of two admission tickets purchased on February 14th, 2012 will be awarded. Offer cannot be combined with any other promotions. Only the SCENE member to whom the email was addressed shall be considered the recipient of the direct email from SCENE”

Therefore, for your purchase, we have added 100 bonus points to your account for your 2 tickets.

Should you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Lina Gomez-Isaza
    Guest Services ~ Cineplex Entertainment LP
    So you would only get 200 points when you buy 2 tickets. The "x2 points" really means shifting the points from the 2nd ticket towards the first person's Scene membership. This is just genius. I mean, they offer a "x2" promotion without having to pay up. They just shift the points from the one member to another. Bravo. **Slow Clap**

When I emailed back arguing that common sense would understood that as 400 points. Vague language is discouraged. And here's what she said:

The SCENE loyalty Program describes that when purchasing tickets, you will receive 100 points for your own individual ticket purchase with a maximum of 200 points at Cineplex Entertainment theatres, for up to 2 unique performances per day. Also, you will receive 20 bonus points for purchasing tickets online.

In your case, you earned 100 points for your transaction and we added 100 extra bonus points for the Valentines’ Day 2x promotion since you bought 2 tickets (one for yourself and an extra one): “A maximum of 100 SCENE bonus points will be awarded for per admission ticket purchased and a maximum of two admission tickets purchased on February 14th, 2012 will be awarded”.

Please note that the SCENE Entertainment Rewards Program is based on individual membership was designed to reward each member for their visits to the theatre. Each member earns points for their individual admission purchase regardless the amount of tickets purchased, and the accumulative points can be redeemed for a reward for themselves for their participation in the program.
    An additional member who accompanies any member to the theatre can also earn points when multiple tickets are purchased.

Details on the SCENE Rewards program are available on the SCENE.ca website, with additional details listed in the Terms & Conditions, which required your prior acceptance to join this free rewards program.

Please note that the points allocation policy has not changed since the program was launched.

Regards,

Lina Gomez-Isaza
    Guest Services ~ Cineplex Entertainment
    Next time when we post their "promotion", we should be aware that "bonus" doesn't mean additional, "x2" doesn't mean multiplication. It is rather just a point-shifting system.

I'd love to be in one of their meetings. They must be high fiving each other every time they come up with a proposal like this. Their seniors padding the accountants' shoulders. "Well done! I love to give people the illusion of gifts without having to spend money!"

I was so pissed, I live for justice. So I emailed her back thanking her for her extensive explanation of the new mathematical breakthrough in the multiplication. And reminded her that Ministry of Consumer Services discourage mathematical creativity. I'm looking forward for a reply.
    This thread is currently associated with: Cineplex & Scene Rewards
    Last edited by EvilTofu; Fri, Apr 20th, 2012 at 09:06 PM.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    442 (100%)

the problem with cineplex is that they gives you 100 points per transaction ( even if you bought 2 tickets) so if you want to get more points you have to split transaction.
    itsjustmebub and Natalka like this.
    Get FREE Amazon gift cards and Paypal @ Superpoints http://superpoints.com/refer/mipip Don't forget to fill out your basic profile

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

This is the reason why my fiance and I always buy our tickets online and separately. Then we each get our points and the bonus points for online.
    itsjustmebub and Natalka like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

The scene card is an individual earning card. You only earn 100 points on the same movie/show time regardless how many you bought with the exception 1 child ticket will earn you 50 points on the same movie/show time (child is under 14, when the child can apply for his/her own card).

You don't earn points buying a ticket for a friend (unless it's a different show time movie).

I will interpret the promotion as you get your regular 100 points + 100 points added later. You can do this for a maximum of 2 times (different movie/show time to earn another 100 points for the 2nd movie)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

you get 100 x2 for the same movie if you pay each seperately unless this has changed recently.

That promo on borders false advertising doesn't it

Quote Originally Posted by emmafb View Post
    The scene card is an individual earning card. You only earn 100 points on the same movie/show time regardless how many you bought with the exception 1 child ticket will earn you 50 points on the same movie/show time (child is under 14, when the child can apply for his/her own card).

You don't earn points buying a ticket for a friend (unless it's a different show time movie).

I will interpret the promotion as you get your regular 100 points + 100 points added later. You can do this for a maximum of 2 times (different movie/show time to earn another 100 points for the 2nd movie)
    Swagbucks- http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mom2teens

Carrot Rewards Promo Code: kerryj6770

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

hmm i did not know this
    my hubby and i always bought our tix together. I feel cheated.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

like the others say you only earn points on 1 ticket.. you could buy 1 or 10 tickets in a transaction you will still only get 100 points for the first ticket purchased.. when hubby and i go to a movie we both buy our tickets separately to get the bonus points, it is a bit of a tricky promo.. it's encouraging 1 person to buy two tickets to get a "bonus" but it really isn't much of a bonus since it's the same value if two people purchased tickets separately

if you want to talk about questionable ethics.. i'm still waiting on bonus points (emailed them about it and they said they were looking into it) for going to see conan... last summer.. on opening day!
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    91 (100%)

Usually, my boyfriend and I buy the tickets together in one transaction, but present both of our scene cards. I always thought that we each got 100 points. Reading this, I'm not so sure. Does anyone know? I am going to see if I can trace my transactions!

Rocky! Rocky! Rah Rah Rah c_mcarthur's Avatar
    Trading Score
    102 (100%)

I understand why your mad BUT they specify in the fine print, like other posters have mentioned, you only get 100 scene points per transaction. So unless you buy your two tickets seperately, you only get 100 scene points.
    in this feb 14th scenerio, they're advertising saying you get 2x the points wub 2 tickets, meaning you get 200 points instead of just 100.
    It makes sense to me... its not the greatest deal of course, but it is all in the fine print....
    Last edited by c_mcarthur; Sat, Apr 21st, 2012 at 08:46 AM.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Yeah, I know that you only earn 100 points per transaction. But you know what I mean. The "promotion" isn't a promotion at all. I normally buy tickets separately. But on Valentine's Day. They say buy 2 tickets and you get "x2 points".

I'm not mad about not getting another 200 points, I'm mad about their shady practice. Besides, if I hadn't contacted them, I wouldn't even get the 100 bonus. I bet most people didn't check.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I have an easy way to solve your problem and save money! Do not go to Ciniplex, download the movie to your computer, then burn onto DVD. You can fit 4 to 5 full length movies onto one DVD and have a continuous movie night!

I can honestly say that I NEVER go to the movies, not a movie person at all. Heck I still have the BOGO coupons from the cereal sitting around that haven't been used. Nothing really good to see!
    kaylamcd and bmpsmommy like this.
    Missing my Best Friend since 1971. RIP Lynda (1947-2012)

Have Questions About Internet Marketing? ASK ME!

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I learned this the hard way once before, thinking I'd get 100 for each ticket I bought only to find out it's per transaction as many above me have mentioned.
    Huge bummer, but I buy my tickets at the kiosks, online or at the register and we do separate transactions!
    Get a $5 sign up bonus @ EBATES.ca -------------------- Come join me on WAGJAG!
    P.S. The cash out minimum for Ebates is $5.01!

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

yep it's so incredibly stupid. ALWAYS buy your tickets seperately and you'll get 100 points per transaction

Member of rep ho-ing club kelly25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Yep Name:  bravo-7466.gif
Views: 1483
Size:  15.2 KB indeed. They contradict themselves in the explanation too..

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Do you get 100 pts when you pay using a pass? I bought a few passes from my uni for $9 each (I know if you order them directly, they cost 7.50 per but I only needed 3 and not 100+ or whatever the amount is). So if I go to the theatre and use one of those passes then will I get scene pts for the movie?

And if so then to get 200 pts for 2 tickets/passes, would I have to pay separately and is this even allowed or would the cashier just reject you saying no we aren't going to load the same pass twice?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information