User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Doesn't it drive you crazy when people don't listen?

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Okay, I know people are entitled to make their own choices about how they spend their money, but it really drives me crazy when you tell someone about an incredible deal on expensive baby products you know they use frequently and need a large amount of on a weekly and monthly basis, and they don't act on it. I'm talking about the once-in-a-blue-moon kind of deal that would cut their usual costs on these items by at least 50%, easily save them over $100, and that they could pick up with a 10-15 minute drive. The kind of clearance deal I'd be thrilled about (as a hardened deal-getter, yet) if I used that product or brand! In the past, I've told someone about a great diaper clearance, and they've gone in and bought one box or bag when there's a whole pallet of them available! Do they somehow think that their need for diapers is going to go away when their child is currently in size 1 or 2? (And yes, these are people who can afford to stock up!)

I've had this happen a few times in the last several months, and then in line recently at Superstore, a woman behind me was buying President's Choice baby formula. I asked her if it was on sale, and let her know that I had seen a ton of it on 50% off clearance at another store 5-10 minutes away on the same street (I believe it was under $7 a tin, and it wasn't close to expiry!) I think she thought I was crazy.

Their loss, I know, but AAARGH! They must see the situation differently, but I don't understand the thinking. Can anyone explain?
    This thread is currently associated with: Real Canadian Superstore RCSS

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

Lol, the only reason I can come up with is they've got the money to burn?

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

It can leave us wondering why when someone either doesn't act on a deal or only buy's 1 or 2. I have found that when we think people have money to burn (they are spending on eating out, clothes etc...) they are actually quite in debt. Perhaps this person really didn't have the money you thought they did. Or, they really aren't interested in a deal. There are still people out there that believe the only people who buy clearance items or use coupons are people who are on welfare.....yes I know, they must be from mars, but it's true....seems sometimes there is a stigma attached to coupons and purchasing items from a clearance rack. I call that stigma a BRAG and WHAT A DEAL, but others call it OH THAT POOR PERSON IS SOOOO BROKE! You can't teach a Heinz pickle anything, so if I were you, I would stop telling them about the great deals. You will be less stressed, and they can continue to pay F...F....FU.....FUL.....sorry, it's just so hard to say that word .....FULL PRICE
    MiaowTheCat likes this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    182 (100%)

just don't let it ruin your day.... is their loss ... like my brother (i would say he is into the "high class")...hehehehe and he wouldn't buy fruits at NF or FB...he will only go to Costco or Highlands and pay triple the price....just because HE CAN.....

Smart Canuck...Oh Yeah!!! Koolaid's Avatar
    Trading Score
    145 (100%)

Next time just ask for their money...you go get it and keep the difference. See how they like that...lol!
    Join Swagbucks and save up for Christmas!!! Message me for help! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Koolaid1977

Please help us raise lots of much needed Autism research funds...donate to my son's walk today here:
    http://asca.convio.net/goto/tyler2016

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Some people (that I'm related to!) would not do as suggested just to be contrary I think, they have to see the deal first for it to be valid for them, then it would be their deal. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Maybe they don't have the space. We sure don't and have to forego lots of deals and stockpiling because we only have two closets and they are full of either clothes or linens?
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

LOL. I guess we just have a different mindset on here than the average person does. Funny that shopping at Costco (a warehouse!) would be considered "high class", but I guess it is...many of the people who go there seem very financially comfortable (and they're pushy with their carts!), but people who shop there do tend to stockpile a bit, as everything is in large quantities (but they're not always getting an amazing deal). I actually feel a bit overwhelmed by the excess and the huge impulse purchases people are making when I go in there, while I know a lot of other people just love going to Costco and make a Saturday afternoon of it.

As for people feeling embarrassed to shop the clearance rack, I guess it's possible. I hadn't thought of that, as pink clearance stickers are like gold to me. Maybe they assume that there's something wrong with the products, or that they're always close to expiry if they're stickered? I know some people are embarrassed to use Groupons or Entertainment Book coupons, too. They're afraid to look cheap. Most of the people I know won't go to garage sales, either. My mother would never go to a garage sale -- until she started seeing the great stuff I was getting for next to nothing.

Torontogal, I guess space would be a consideration for some bulky items, or for items that are normally reasonably cheap anyway (like cans of beans), but when a person can save $23 on a case of formula concentrate or an extra almost $7 off of the sale price of a tin of generic powdered formula, the money adds up fast, and the items aren't all that bulky. In some cases I've seen in the last few years, the people ignoring deals have houses of 1800 square feet or more and full basements. I know housing prices are really high in downtown Toronto (I've been horrified watching some of those real estate shows on television), so there, lack of space might be a major consideration, even if a person has a really good salary and has spent a lot on their home. Maybe some of the people I know are just minimalists?

MamaF... that's a very interesting possibility... it all seems to come down to psychology. I wonder if our mindset is somehow abnormal? We're thrilled on here if someone shares a great deal with us!
    Last edited by Minou; Sun, Apr 29th, 2012 at 10:38 PM.
    MamaF and torontogal12 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I know quite a few people that do not have alot of money to spend and I have tried to help them numerous times. I tell them there are great sales, where to get coupons and they do not listen to a word I say. I have gotten several excellent deals on soup, tomatoes, canned vegt., condiments, shampoo, bodywash (you all know, because you have probably gotten the same ones) and they won't go to the store and use coupons, but then they come to my house whinning wanting me to sell them my stock for what I paid. Some even have gotten angry because I have said no. I have been told I am greedy and most peope would do it for family. I no longer talk about the deals I get with certain members and friends of our family.

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

If I were you, if they don't really take your advice or what you say seriouslyjust don't tell them lol. Let them do the work.

If it's free it's for me! newwestcouponer's Avatar
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

I feel ya. I saw someone looking at the Resolve when it was on for $2 and I had a bunch of the $2 off coupons. I offered her a couple coupons and explained that it would be free, and she said, No thanks. I'm looking at carpet cleaner. I said, Okay.. But it's free.. And left them on the shelf right in front of her. WHAT-EVER.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Tabby40- You're not alone, I have a friend that acts the same. She wants to save money so I try to educate her on where to get coupons and where to price match. But everytime we take her shopping she forgets her coupons all the time even if I told her about the deals beforehand and told her what coupons to use or asks to use mine and she'll give them back when she gets home (sometimes I never get any back). I don't mind sharing my coupons or if I have extras, give them to her but she ALWAYS forgets and I feel like I'm her coupon holder/binder and she doesn't have to do anything. Or I tell her about a deal and she wants me to go get it for her (because she doesn't want to go) or sell her my stuff at the price I bought it. I can only help her so much.
    Last edited by AmorDeRosa; Sat, Apr 28th, 2012 at 08:40 PM.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Minou View Post
    As for people feeling embarrassed to shop the clearance rack, I guess it's possible. I hadn't thought of that, as pink clearance stickers are like gold to me. Maybe they assume that there's something wrong with the products, or that they're always close to expiry if they're stickered? I know some people are embarrassed to use Groupons or Entertainment Book coupons, too. They're afraid to look cheap.
    My mother was proud that she could work and buy full-priced stuff for her, my sister and me. It had nothing to do with looking cheap but more to do with misplaced pride. Both Dsis and I have feet problems since she could not afford to buy us shoes when we needed them. Saving a few pennies here and there could have meant we had proper fitting shoes in our younger days...but ?

Torontogal, I guess space would be a consideration for some bulky items, or for items that are normally reasonably cheap anyway (like cans of beans), but when a person can save $23 on a case of formula concentrate or an extra almost $7 off of the sale price of a tin of generic powdered formula, the money adds up fast, and the items aren't all that bulky.
    They are if you don't have a car...I spent half as much as my neice bringing up 3 children to her 2 as I had a car ands she didn't. She was reliant on a family member, a bus or a taxi when she went shopping. try carrying a 72 pack of diapers and a couple of cans of formula for a mile...it isn't easy...

MamaF... that's a very interesting possibility... it all seems to come down to psychology. I wonder if our mindset is somehow abnormal? We're thrilled on here if someone shares a great deal with us!
    Each person has their own reasons ...to infer they are wrong is in itself wrong. Intereasting assumptions are just intereasting...passing judgement on some-one you don't know, family included, is the height of bad manners.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

And they would probably downplay the favour if you did offer to sell it! "Aw, you got it for free anyway...."

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Minou View Post
    And they would probably downplay the favour if you did offer to sell it! "Aw, you got it for free anyway...."
    only if they are so "spechul".....

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information