User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bejaap
  • 1 Post By marstec

Thread: Can I get some help with a baking question.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

I'd like to take advantage of the cooler weather while its here to make the desserts for my sons graduation party.. my idea is to take chocolate cupcakes bake them, turn them upside down once cooled and then stick a skewer in them after they've been cooled for a bit and coat them in melted chocolate and then place them on a baking sheet with the bigger side down and let them harden. the reason I want to do this now is once its hot in July (his grad/birthday) im not going to be wanting to heat up my house. I figured if I made them ahead of time and froze them once july gets here I can take them out and put the finishing touches to them. Will they be ok after I do this. I don't want them to be all sweaty afterwards. how do I prevent this from happening.. or can I. once im done I'll be adding little chocolate frosting and then topping with a chocolate covered graham cookie then a little more icing an m&m and a piece of licorice lace for a tassle. voila.. a graduation cap.
    This thread is currently associated with: M&M Meats
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

I'm thinking that if you would defrost them slowly in the fridge they should be ok. Also, after taking them out of the freezer maybe first put them in another container before defrosting to cut down on the moisture content inside the container.... sounds like a fun project

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have frozen choc dipped stuff in the past with mixed results-one time all is fine but on others the choc has gotten a white haze in time.

You could do the backing but save the choc dipping for much later and use a small crock-pot to melt choc and dip into. They don't give out much heat to the room and the choc would set up quickly in the fridge

What yu have in mind sounds really cute good luck!
    flyingdutch likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I would freeze them unfrosted because of the potential "bloom" issue. If you do freeze them, make sure you are wrapping the cupcakes really well so that they don't get freezer burn or end up with weird odors from other foods.

Have you thought about making cake pops?
    flyingdutch likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

I took a chocolate making course several years ago. They told us that when defrosting frozen chocolate, keep it in the container in which you froze it until it is completely thawed. Don't open the container and expose the chocolate until defrosting is done. There should be no bloom that way. It works for me....

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Never tried that, but I'd suggest doing the baking now and then dipping them in chocolate close to the event.
    Would you consider baking the cupcakes and frosting them with whipped chocolate ganache then decorating them?
    Ganache will freeze better than plain melted chocolate!
    Use an airtight container and wrap that with plastic wrap, just in case.
    Whatever you do, don't put the cupcakes in the fridge, as it'll dry out the cake!
    Get a $5 sign up bonus @ EBATES.ca -------------------- Come join me on WAGJAG!
    P.S. The cash out minimum for Ebates is $5.01!

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

yummm ganache sounds wonderful.. is this a recipe I can do easily on my own. i will follow all of the other tips provided wrapping well and freezing the prebaked cupcakes..
    @marstec.. I was going to do cakepops but with the look and deisgn im going for i need a flat design to work with... 'google' graduation cupcakes.. you'll understand. im not using the reese cups as I want to be careful of allergies. so thats im doing chocolate/graham crackers.. for those that like white cake im doing white cupcakes., chocolate frosting and white fondant rolled into certificates. plus cookies, and fruit/chocolate fountain. our families love chocolate.
    a little bit of everything for everyone. i might even start buying fruit now and cutting it up and freezing it for the fountain.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    yummm ganache sounds wonderful.. is this a recipe I can do easily on my own.
    Hi MrsSunshine!
    Ganache is super easy: It's basically heated cream and chocolate stirred together.
    Alton Brown has a great recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html
    This site has great visuals! http://savorysweetlife.com/2009/08/s...recipe-3-ways/
    Get a $5 sign up bonus @ EBATES.ca -------------------- Come join me on WAGJAG!
    P.S. The cash out minimum for Ebates is $5.01!

Thread Information