Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By MortgageQueen
  • 3 Post By tjthemanto
  • 1 Post By ashedfc

Thread: terrible customer service from CIBC in regarding to the fraud issue

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

so this happened by the end of April,2012,which is a week ago,I found out my bank account has been hacked ,somebody somehow got my visa debit card information and made 4 online purchased through a Chinese website. I was really freaked out when i see that,it was part of the rent,and I never buy anything in through any chinese websites online in my entire life,and really nervous at the meantime,because I still had some money left in that bank account,but all the banks are closed(the banks closed at 4 pm on Mondays.)so the only way for me to get in touch with the bank was to call the customer service,it was a busy day ,so i actually was on hold for 1.5 hour until I got to speak to someone.(I was really surprised they don't have an emergency number for debit card holder to call to report in for this kind of issue.)
    The first conversation wasn't pleasant at all,the representative told me that I have to contact with the Chinese shopping website by myself and ask them to stop the purchase and reverse the money back to my bank account, and then he got me the website's info by googling it.
    Luckily I speak mandarin although not very well.
    So i called in but the representative for the chinese website told me that I should be contacting with the bank not them because they don't have any information for me .
    So I call back to the bank and complain for this situation and ask for help,so this time they actually refer me to a supervisor. The supervisor told me he will start an investigation and send this case into the fraud department ,they will investigate it for me right away and I will hear from them in 5 days.
    During the waiting period ,I saw 2 purchases out of 4 reversed back to my bank account,it made me believe that they are looking into this for me now. But the crazy thing happened this morning which I logged into my bank account and check the balance again ,i find out Cibc has recharged me the purchases they had reversed back to me again,so I called the customer service and request to speak to the supervisor again ,and this supervisor talked with me with no helping info,and even questioned me if i spent them by myself and give me nothing but just asking me to call back to china and ask them to cancel my purchases,it just doesn't make sense with what she had told me ,why and how do i have to deal with it with no any transaction information,and what if I don't speak mandarin??
    and when she doubted on me,i told her those transactions shows on my bank account as International visa debit retail purchases,I am in Canada,how could I make international ones, then she said: No,as long as I use my visa debit online to purchase something,it will always show up as International visa debit retail purchase. And of course this is BS!!! I had other online purchases with my visa debit i just made couple weeks ago,it never shows anything with international words... I don't understand why she had to made up the store just because she doesn't want to help me out and just wanna sit in her office and do no work and still getting her pay on time?
    so basically she told me she ,the cibc can do nothing for me,and the only thing i can do is to call to china and speak to them and ask them to cancel the purchases,and once again ,i made this international phone calls and talked to the customer service and of course without any information,the lady can't do any help at all and just to told me what i should do is to contact the bank and let them to deal with them ,not me dealing with them and do all the investigation by myself.
    So hopeless me called back to the customer service and request to speak to another supervisor as the last one wasn't trying to help me at all.
    So thankfully,this last supervisor i spoke to was nicer ,and told me they didn't send this case to the fraud department yet...so why the first supervisor i spoke to a week ago promised me ,i will hear the report back from the department in 5 days???
    and this last supervisor promised me she will send it in as an urgent,and someone from the fraud department will contact with me in 24 hours,we will see about that if i actually get a phone call in 24 hours as she promised.
    At the mean time I questioned her that if my account is insured because for this kind of issue that happens to any of my friend (well ,they are in state ,not here in canada) they got their money back right away,and bank go ahead deal with the rest of the issues,but all i get from the ban k is that they ask me to try to go deal with it by myself. and I also feel they are taking advantage on me just because i can speak some mandarin ,so they can go ahead and ask me to talk them . when i complain to one of the supervisor that i have a little bit hard time communication with them or understanding each other ,she was so naive and asked me don't them have anyone who speaks English? Well,the hell i would know everything about that website...
    anyways... it is just awful experience,and I am so worry now that I wont get the money back since all they seem to do is to drag it and making me feeling tired and disappointed in the all situation and then give up by myself...
    the worst bank experience I have ever had!!!
    Of course they won't bother worrying if they lose me this customer because I am not a millionaire,don't have million dollars saved in that bank,but if I do I would start to worry if one day they got robbed or somebody actually hacked in my account and took all the money ...
    I don't know what the right processors are,but this is definite not a beautiful one consider how much hassel and worries the person who got fraud and all they do is to be not helpful!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Ask them the name and contact number for their ombudsman. That might light a fire under their butts. . .

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

https://www.cibc.com/ca/cibc-and-you...ombudsman.html

Hmm, it seems there is a need to wait on that review or follow-up promised by first supervisor. Still, make contact and see what happens, OP.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Follow the 4 steps below and escalate your complaint . You can even take it outside CIBC in Step 4 if CIBC doesn't do anything.

Our Process For Resolving Your Complaints

We have created a process for dealing with complaints that we believe is both effective and efficient. We expect every CIBC employee who receives a customer complaint to take ownership, and ensure that the complaint is resolved quickly.
    If you have a complaint, we encourage you to follow the complaint procedure outlined here.
    Step 1 - Where you do business with us

In most cases, a complaint is resolved simply by telling us about it. You should be able to get swift results by talking to our employees or Manager where you do business with us.
    You can speak with us in-branch or by calling Telephone Banking at
    1-800-465-CIBC (2422).

Step 2 - Customer Care Centre

If the problem is not resolved to your satisfaction, you can contact the CIBC Customer Care Centre.
    You can reach us by:
    Telephone: 1-800-465-CALL (2255)
    Fax:
    1-877-861-7801
    E-mail: Please click here to send your e-mail to Customer Care.

Write to: CIBC Customer Care
    PO Box 70,
    Station T
    Toronto, ON M6B 3Z9

Be sure to include:

• Your name and contact information where you prefer to be reached
    • The nature of your complaint
    • Details relevant to the complaint and with whom you have already discussed the issue

If you are dissatisfied with the decision of the CIBC Customer Care Centre, you may contact or be directed to the CIBC Ombudsman.
    Step 3 - CIBC Ombudsman

Assuming you have followed the complaint escalation steps outlined above and you remain unsatisfied with Customer Care's resolution, you can contact the CIBC Ombudsman. Then, if the matter falls within the CIBC Ombudsman's mandate, and providing legal action has not been taken on the matter, the Ombudsman will conduct a further investigation.
    Learn more about the assistance available to you from the CIBC Ombudsman.
    You can reach the CIBC Ombudsman by:
    Telephone: 1-800-308-6859 or 416-861-3313 in Toronto
    Fax: 1-800-308-6861 or 416-980-3754 in Toronto
    E-mail: [email protected]

Write to: CIBC Ombudsman
    P.O. Box 342
    Commerce Court
    Toronto, ON
    M5L 1G2

If the above steps do not resolve your complaint, you may consider escalating the matter further. See the listing for Independent Consumer Support Agencies.

Step - 4

Independent Consumer Support Agencies

In addition to CIBC's service commitment to you, there are a number of external agencies that monitor Canada's financial industry to ensure compliance and reliable access to financial services.
    Ombudsman For Banking Services And Investments (OBSI)

You can contact the OBSI who is independent from CIBC and whose purpose is to review your personal or business complaint when you do not accept the decision of the CIBC Ombudsman; or when 90 days have elapsed since escalating your concerns to the CIBC Customer Care Centre.
    Where appropriate, OBSI may seek the assistance of the firm's internal complaint-resolution staff - including the internal bank ombudsman - to facilitate the earliest possible resolution of your complaint.
    You can reach the Ombudsman for Banking Services and Investments by:
    Telephone: 1-888-451-4519
    Fax: 1-888-422-2865
    E-mail: [email protected]

Write to: Ombudsman for Banking Services and Investments
    401 Bay Street
    Suite 1505, P.O. Box 5
    Toronto, ON M5H 2Y4

If you choose to contact the OBSI at the conclusion of the CIBC Ombudsman investigation, you should do so, within six months from the date of CIBC's response to you, as OBSI reserves the right to decline any investigation after that time.
    The Financial Consumer Agency Of Canada

The Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC) supervises federally-regulated financial institutions, such as CIBC, to ensure they comply with federal consumer protection laws.
    Federal consumer protection laws affect you in a number of ways. For example, financial institutions must provide you with information about their fees, interest rates and complaint handling procedures.
    The FCAC also helps educate consumers and monitors voluntary codes of conduct and public commitments designed to protect the interest of consumers.
    If you have a regulatory complaint, or a complaint concerning a voluntary code of conduct, you can contact the FCAC by:
    Telephone: 1-866-461-3222
    Write to: Financial Consumer Agency of Canada
    6th Floor, Enterprise Building
    427 Laurier Ave. West
    Ottawa, ON K1R 1B9

The FCAC will determine whether the financial institution is in compliance. It will not, however, resolve individual consumer complaints.
    The Privacy Commissioner of Canada

If your concern involves a privacy issue you may contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada by:
    Telephone: 613-995-8210 or 1-800-282-1376
    Fax: 613-947-6850

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

GREAT ANSWER tjthemanto!!!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

thank you so much for the suggestions,folks!
    I just spoke to the fraud department ,he asked me how i found out and what happened and promised me the money will be reversed back to my account by tomorrow!
    thanks god!!! now i can pay my rent!!!
    but we are thinking to change the bank soon ,after experiencing this poor customer service ,we just had enough!
    Thanks again!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You could contact the police this is theft and fraud.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by fightingalone View Post
    thank you so much for the suggestions,folks!
    I just spoke to the fraud department ,he asked me how i found out and what happened and promised me the money will be reversed back to my account by tomorrow!
    thanks god!!! now i can pay my rent!!!
    but we are thinking to change the bank soon ,after experiencing this poor customer service ,we just had enough!
    Thanks again!!
    All the banks are same..
    Its not the bank who reply when you make a call; they are individuals; & its the same everywhere..... (some have experienced & some haven't)
    some say cibc is the best; & you are upset with cibc..

end of the day, you have approach the specific dept. to get your work done..

And, someone suggested: reports to police.. they will be of very little use.. "they only know to give traffic tickets; & take someone's child away from the parents to put in foster care"
    fightingalone likes this.

Thread Information