User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lealgen

Thread: Gift card vs. Mastercard points question

Wise Canuck
    Trading Score
    18 (100%)

If I purchase a SDM gift card, I know I get points.

If I buy something using my SDM Mastercard, I know I get points.

My question is this: I need to fill a prescription that is not covered thru benefits and has to be paid out of pocket. How do I maximum my points? Should I buy an SDM gc and then pay with that - but not get Optimum points, or should I just pay the entire thing using the Mastercard - I think you get 25 points per dollar.

Suggestions? TIA!
    This thread is currently associated with: Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    58 (100%)

You can buy a SDM gift card with your SDM Mastercard, that will get you the 25 points per dollar.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    220 (100%)

Our SDM does not allow GC to used on drug purchases. You may want to check.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    209 (100%)

I purchase a SDM GC with my SDM Mastercard and then use the SDM GC to get my prescriptions. My SDM will allow a GC to purchase a prescription.
    If you are interested in Houseseats here is my referal link:
    http://www.houseseats.ca/[email protected]

Trading Score
    471 (100%)

If you just paid using your SDM m/c wouldn't you get the same amount of point vs purchasing a Gift card for the same amount?
    RRLF Disney Movie Reward codes found inside Disney dvd/bluray cases
    View my tradelist here: http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/4073305-post7.html
    Wishlist here: http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/248827-...a/#post4396113

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

I say buy the GC with your MC then use that GC to buy the perscription. That way you're getting double the points.

My SDM does allow GC to buy perscriptions they just usually have to ask a manager because they don't know how to do it. I guess so few people do this.

If SDM refused a GC on purchasing something in their store (perscription) I would be livid. What good is it then if they put restrictions on it as to what I can and cannot buy?
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Ilovecoupons!
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Not sure what province you're in, but in Ontario, you don't get points on prescriptions - so the way to maximize your points would be to purchase a GC with your SDM Mastercard and then use the GC to purchase your prescription. Assuming the prescription costs $100 ...

Scenario 1 - Purchase GC with SDM MC and use GC to purchase prescription:

Points for purchasing GC - 100 x 10 points = 1000
    Regular points for using SDM Mastercard - 100 x 5 points = 500
    Bonus points for using SDM Mastercard at a SDM store - 100 x 10 points = 1000

Total Points = 2500

Scenario 2 - Purchase prescription using a SDM Mastercard:

Regular points for using SDM Mastercard - 100 x 5 points = 500
    Bonus points for using SDM Mastercard at a SDM store - 100 x 10 points = 1000

Total Points = 1500

You're getting an extra 1000 points by buying the GC first. Not all SDM will allow you to purchase prescriptions using a GC (not sure why??), so you may want to check to see if your store does!
    thor9 likes this.
    Wanna Join WagJag? àhttp://www.wagjag.com/?wid=32ea912f41ea7fd17f7c8a136779b461<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    Wanna Join Groupon? àhttp://www.groupon.com/r/uu20943525<o:p></o:p>

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Well don't i feel like a dummy, never thought to use gift card for my perscriptions. Will have to ask and start doing this. I just spent 100.00 tonight duh. Thanks for the info

Wise Canuck
    Trading Score
    18 (100%)

geniemom - don't forget you can also buy a giftcard and then purchase lottery tickets too - another way to maximize out on Optimum points.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Buy a SDM gift card to buy ANYTHING at SDM, including to cover the tax during redemptions. You get points when you buy the gift card, and for the most part, get points when you redeem the gift card. I do this monthly to buy transit passes (although I have had trouble with this in the past, resolved with an email to HO, but as a result I don't shop at that location much anymore, they make me feel like a criminal). I don't get points on transit passes, but do on the GC purchase.

We are also able to use a GC for prescriptions - I have insurance that direct pays, but DH has to pay for some of his, so works for his.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Thanks so much for this info! I just called my SDM pharmacy and they said that you can use a gift card to pay for prescriptions. I don't see why you would be refused as a gift card is just like money.

It's a shame they aren't accepting any more applications for the SDM Optimum Mastercard, I would get that too!
    Want to earn free Aeroplan or HBC points for completing short surveys? Click here to join Asking Canadians!

Thread Information