User Tag List

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By curt81
  • 1 Post By scbpooh
  • 3 Post By curt81

Thread: My new toy~~~ HP Pavilion 10-e020ca TouchSmart 10.1 inch Notebook PC NEEDING HELP!!!

Trading Score
    442 (100%)

Just bought myself this new toy over the weekend and really knowing not much about it. I know stupid move right... Well our desktop has been starting to give us some problems so we thought we'd pick up a nice little toy.

It has Windows 8.1 with Office Home and Student 2013, and 320GB hard drive. My problem is, it seems so slow!!. Im very computer illiterate so me setting things up by myself, I hope Im doing it right! My daughter went through and got rid of a few things I have no use for but just wondering if anyone has this notebook , and if there are any tips or tricks to things I should know about that they wouldnt have told me when I bought it!

I went through and did all the set up, I upgraded the java so i can use my printer on both computers for printing coupons. What else should I be doing???????
    This thread is currently associated with: Microsoft

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I did a search and not sure if it's the same computer but if it is, you bought a slow computer.

What's the processing speed and the size of your memory? If you don't know how you can find this information, you can click the windows key and x at the same time. A pop up will show up - click Run, then type dxdiag in the open box and a pop up with show up with your system settings. You should have two categories called Processor and Memory.
    Lynn49 and hollyquaiscer like this.

Trading Score
    442 (100%)

Processor: AMD A4-1200 ApUU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics (2 CPU's), ~1.0GHz

Memory: 2048 MB Ram

I also did some googleing yesterday I found out that when I initially started the system load up I did a "recommended start up" instead of a "custom setup" and that apparently would have not slowed me down as much either, so im really not sure what to do now!
    hollyquaiscer likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You could try to reformat the drive but 1.0 GHz is pretty slow. I recommend atleast 2.0 GHz and 4 GB of Ram (4000 mb)
    Last edited by curt81; Tue, Sep 9th, 2014 at 10:46 AM.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

I'm sorry you're having computer issues, nothing more frustrating to me. Especially because I don't know all that much, and it seems when I try to do what I've found online, it never works out. Thank goodness for my dd's and there spouses.

Hope you get the issue fixed. I know when I purchased this laptop a few winters ago, I didn't have a choice but to get the windows 8. I HATE it, not sure why I've never had it take out and the window 7 put in, just slacking I guess. I have heard from a lot of people that the processor you have, the AMD, in general is slow, but windows 8 doesn't help any.

Just a suggestion, since you just purchased it, perhaps you are able to take it back and replace it with something else I purchased a Samsung tab 4S at Costco about 3 weeks ago as I find this laptop getting extremely heavy as I get older, it's a 17 inch screen Vaio. Anyways, after the 2nd week, I was questioning my purchase, the keyboard (onscreen) was off, it was slow and I generally was not happy with it. I spotted an an last week where I could get an iPad for $10 more, so that's what I did and it was the best choice I've made in a long time.

Sometimes is easier to return it, then trying to correct something that may not be possible, it just gets more frustrating. I wish you the best of luck. Keep us informed.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

The place where you bought it should be able to help you out with initial setup - I know at London Drugs the tech spends time with customers, and I'm sure Best Buy and Future Shop would do the same - or any electronics place where you purchased the computer.

Or just another alternative - any techie friends at all? If not you, how about your daughter in high school? I know when I had computer problems before my son in high school became more skilled, he had a friend who would come over and help us when we were in a jam. It is absolutely amazing what some young 'uns know! (now in his early 20s, this same dude is making a killing on an app he made!)

Trading Score
    442 (100%)

I got it at London Drugs and the guy working at the time seemed like he knew nothing about anything

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Call there and talk to them - explain the problem and ask if you can bring it in.

Thread Information