User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Need advice about a small dog

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Okay so here's my advice! I work in a pet store so I kind of know the other half of your situation a little. It does depend on every pet store though
    First is that yes it sucks when cats and dogs end up waiting in the store for long periods of time looking for a new owner but despite a lot of negative public image, Pet stores are not as bad as they're made out to be.
    The cages have to cleaned and maintained perfectly or guaranteed a customer will walk in, be upset with the conditions and call the by law or other services to come check it out or they'll give an earful to the workers. Plus the dogs have to be exercised twice daily and if the people working there actually love the animals, the ones that don't sell for longer periods of time become store favourites and get swarmed and loved by the employees all day.
    So don't worry to much about the dogs emotional state in the store although it can be stressful for some dogs, if you saw the little guy wagging his tail he seems fine.

If its pulling at your heart strings though you need to put some serious thought into your decision. One thing people forget about pets that I'm happy you've already considered is that they surprise you all the time with lovely bill from the vet. What you could do is put $5 in a jar every week and have that as the emergency vet jar. That way if anything happens outside the ordinary vet check ups you've got the jar as a little back up, it takes a while to build it up though.

The German Shepard is a greet breed and if he's good with other small animals its likely that he'll be great with the puppy. Daschund's are usually not super aggressive but I would find out the other side of the mix and look into its background. The way the puppy acts will trigger the way your dog acts around it.

I have a large and small dog and I love them both! Sometimes the bigger the dog, the more exercise they require (sometimes!) Daschund's like walking and other relaxing forms of exercise where as your dog would love running around, jumping, chasing, etc. So you might find it less challenging to tire the little one out. Now it still depends on the other breed but this dog may be a little less work and a little more laid back than your GS.

It is a very big decision and I hope my Novel up there helped you make it. What I recommend is honestly asking yourself if you can handle it. Don't feel bad for him in the pet store because if you don't adopt him, someone else will.
    I would find out the other breed, maybe bring your dog in to see his reaction in the store before you take the puppy home. Consider the costs, small dogs are less costly to feed and are really not that expensive at the vet in comparison to larger dogs (depending on the treatment). Small dogs can also be easier to train especially if you already have a larger dog to assume the role of dominance.

Let me know what you end up doing!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

We adopted a small dog from the SPCA about 6 weeks ago. We already had a King Charles Spaniel cross and this new dog (Mojo) is also a King Charles Spaniel. We took our dog to the shelter to meet Mojo and had them play together in a fenced area and took them for a walk together. They were okay together, so we did a 'foster to adopt' for a week in order to allow us to see how he did in our home. Mojo was a puppy mill dog and was almost a year old when he was rescued -- we knew this going in. We have worked through the separation anxiety and he is now okay when we go to work for the day, but he requires a lot of cuddling and interaction from us. We have only had three 'accidents' and Mojo and our dog, Sami, are already inseparable.

I would really encourage you to ask the pet store if they will allow you to 'foster to buy' for a week. Mojo had a brother who rescued at the same time and he was terrified of everything and everyone. He was fostered to special SPCA fostering volunteer and he is still not at the point where he is ready to be put up for adoption. He will be eventually be adopted to a home with no children and no other pets. A one-week trial should let you know whether you are facing major issues that you are not equipped to deal with, or, if things look good and you are ready to move forward.

Good luck with your decision!
    Last edited by DianneS; Sun, Jun 10th, 2012 at 01:27 PM.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Update
    Thank-you all for all your awsome comments and just overall being super nice about my doggy problem. I have read every post carefully and i must say, it really helped me decide.

I decided to go with my heart with this one... i beleive that everything happens for a reason and even though i might not know at this point the reason why, i do beleive i was meant that day to not go at my usual pet shop so i could meet him for the first time...

Harley!

Last edited by Kalmel; Tue, Jun 12th, 2012 at 05:23 AM.
    hollyquaiscer and wolfwoman like this.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Congrats!! I was kinda hoping you would go back and get him. LOL
    Kalmel likes this.
    Do you want to buy and sell Bitcoin? Sign up for Ndax to buy and sell bitcoin in Canada. Other altcoins available on the platform too! Quick, simple and secure.!. Have a look around. https://one.ndax.io/bfQb65

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

[QUOTE=Kalmel;4756979]Update
    Thank-you all for all your awsome comments and just overall being super nice about my doggy problem. I have read every post carefully and i must say, it really helped me decide.

I decided to go with my heart with this one... i beleive that everything happens for a reason and even though i might not know at this point the reason why, i do beleive i was meant that day to not go at my usual pet shop so i could meet him for the first time...

Harley!

Awww Rats!! Can't see the photos! Big Congrats on your new Fur-baby!!!!!

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

oops, sorry! keep forgetting, i lose my pictures when i moved them in another folder.

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

OMG HE IS ADORABLEEEEEEEE!!!

Im sure Harley loves his new home and new fur brothers and sisters!!

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

wow! been years i havent taken care of a puppy... he got up at 3 am this morning and was barking like crazy! figured he wasnt tired anymore but i sure was.
    hollyquaiscer likes this.

I GOT GAME, DO YOU? gameprogirl's Avatar
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

That puppy is awesome. I'm so happy you adopted him. He looks absolutely lovely. CONGRATS!
    hollyquaiscer and Kalmel like this.
    Join Ebates for cashback on all purchases!
    http://www.ebates.ca/referrer?referrerid=Hm3B6tvDY78%3D

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

He sure is a special puppy. He follows me everywhere i go in the house, i tripped over him several times today. . My cats seem to "tolerate" him to some point. I noticed each time he pops in a room where there's a cat...strange..the cat just disappear.. Maze, my german, is ok with Harley. He keeps a distance, and so far he prefers just to stare at him from another room.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Aw, Kalmel..he's absolutely muchable!!! I believe in fate, too, call it coincidence, what have you, but things happen for a reason...he was meant to be with you....He found a good home, bless his little heart....enjoy!

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

What a cutie! He looks VERY comfortable! Enjoy your new family member!
    gameprogirl and Kalmel like this.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

OMG!! Sooooo cute! what interesting markings!
    gameprogirl likes this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    Aw, Kalmel..he's absolutely muchable!!! I believe in fate, too, call it coincidence, what have you, but things happen for a reason...he was meant to be with you....He found a good home, bless his little heart....enjoy!
    Thank-you Lynn! Yes, things do happen for a reason. Harley was never part of my plan..now that i think about it, all my pets were never part of my plan..lol!!! Maze came into my life when i was super sad. Jake, my other dog, was 15 years old and died of old age. I cried for weeks and promised myself i would never feel that pain again by not having another dog..well, that lasted about 6 years until one day i went to visit a friend and saw maze.. he was the last puppy left and he had problems walking. The vet had told her it had something to do with his bones and probably could never walk properly. Well since she couldnt sell him, i brought him home and after 2 years of therapy and tons of vet bills, he got much better.

All my 4 cats as a story..heck, even my rabbit zoe as a story...lol! I guess if i had to find a reason why this happens to me, i'd say by not having a plan i'm able to open my heart and make it my life's plan.
    gameprogirl and Lynn49 like this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by avoncallingu View Post
    What a cutie! He looks VERY comfortable! Enjoy your new family member!
    thank-you!! he his a special puppy.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information