User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Need advice about a small dog

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I went to the pet shop today for rabbit food,and usually i go to the same one but didnt feel like driving 30 minutes, so i went to the closest one. Well as i was looking where to find the food, i walked in front of the cats and dogs that where for sale..there he was, just looking at me and wagging his tale like crazy. Anyways, that was not so bad, i smiled at him and talked a bit then i went to go get my rabbit food. Well, once i got to the counter, i tell the owner how cute the dog was and then he tells me that he had the dog for 2 months and nobody seemed to want him. I went home and i thought about that little dog all day.. just feel really sad that he's been in that cage for 2 months and watching people do like i did..talk to him a little and leave..

I already have a German Sheppard, 4 cats, a rabbit and fishes...i know i could really give him a good life, it's just that i dont know if i'm really prepared for the extra work that it's gonna involve.. plus more expenses..food, vet, ect... The owner was asking 300$ but offered me to pay 200$ tax included. He's mixed (Dachshund and something else but forgot what it was) and he's about 5 months.

So, any advice would be most welcomed... i never had a small dog. I always had big dogs and have no clue if i would be even good taking care of a smaller breed/mix dog.

thank's in advance.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    129 (100%)

Small dogs require a little more personal attention as they are typically "lap dogs" that enjoy people company. They don't like to stay alone or outside without you. I have a wonderful Boston Terrier (I've always had small dogs). The smaller dogs tend to shed less, stink less & eat less. The love to walk & are typically easy to control on a leash. If you enjoy the company of a dog on your lap during the evening TV programs, then the smaller the better!
    I would say if your heart tells you he needs a home, then what's one more little soul to take care of? Your German Sheppard might love the company, but I would take the little guy in "on consignment" to see if they get along...be sure to get a 100% money back guarantee just in case things dont work out. Perhaps you could bargain a little cheaper for him, or get something more added in like rabies shots/vet check or food/dog toys/bed/etc...
    Good luck! I know it's tough to walk my these little critters...this is why I don't often go into our local Humane Society. I just want to take them all home!
    Lynn49 and hollyquaiscer like this.
    Click here under "about me" to view my wish list.
    Visit Swagbucks.com to earn freebies! Click my referral link to get started!

Tangerine bank GIVES YOU $25 cold hard cash for opening an account!
    Use my Orange Key 14220607S1 & it's $25 for me too! NO FEE BANKING!!

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Thank-you Lucy
    I was also wondering how often would he need to go outside to pee and all ? I am asking this because i heard that small dogs needs to go very often..is that true? Right now, i'm at home doing extra credits for a job i want and i figure i should be good being at home for another year, so that would work out great for now, but once i go to work i would need a plan of some kind. Do you know if the "wee wee" pads are a good option while i'm gone or it's just something that small dog owners have tried and mostly says it's not worth the money?

Taking the dog home on consignment would be a great option but the problem would be me..lol! See, the rabbit was on consignment and after about 3 months i had realized that rabbits werent my cup of tea but never brought it back because i felt like i made that choice and zoe (the rabbit) shouldnt pay the price. So, 4 years later, zoe is still part of the family...and still eating my furniture
    hollyquaiscer and wolfwoman like this.

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

I have a 7.4 pound yorkie mix - my baby!
    He is house trained to go on a pee pad when we are at work - I trained him the first day we got him (he was 10 weeks). BF has alwayas had big dogs (last one was a Rottie) and after our fur baby he says he prefers small dogs now - there just so loving, cuddly and darn cute (all dogs are!).
    Is your current dog friendly, will he/she be ok with another dog coming into the family?
    Lynn49 and hollyquaiscer like this.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

How is the German Shepherd with other small dogs?
    Has he had access to them and gets along with them?

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by VeeVee View Post
    I have a 7.4 pound yorkie mix - my baby!
    He is house trained to go on a pee pad when we are at work - I trained him the first day we got him (he was 10 weeks). BF has alwayas had big dogs (last one was a Rottie) and after our fur baby he says he prefers small dogs now - there just so loving, cuddly and darn cute (all dogs are!).
    Is your current dog friendly, will he/she be ok with another dog coming into the family?
    I have no clue if maze( my german) is dog friendly. He's cat and rabbit friendly...

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshyne1 View Post
    How is the German Shepherd with other small dogs?
    Has he had access to them and gets along with them?
    He never had access to other dogs because i was always affraid something would go wrong. because he's a big dog (165lbs), we always took extra precautions with other dogs and strangers. Maze as been part of our family for about 7 years, and he's an amazing dog. He's sleeps almost every night with grisou, one of our cats, and doesnt even blink when zoe, our rabbit, bites his ears.. he just looks at her like.. scram, you weird looking furball

oh i dont know...such a big decision.
    gameprogirl and hollyquaiscer like this.

I GOT GAME, DO YOU? gameprogirl's Avatar
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I love my small dog, they require less work than a big dog. My dog has set times for pee and poo, 4 times a day, morning, lunch, supper and before bed. She was easy to train and I tell everyone, small dogs rock. I think if you can handle it, and you can afford it, that dog would be a great companion for both you and Maze. My sister has a bloodhound, a french bulldog and a pug and the little ones get mothered by the big one. This is up to you. If I had room, I would have more dogs. They are social animals and usually it's nice for a dog to have a friend.
    hollyquaiscer, kazm-l and VeeVee like this.
    Join Ebates for cashback on all purchases!
    http://www.ebates.ca/referrer?referrerid=Hm3B6tvDY78%3D

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

First off, I would say wait til Monday to make a decision. You don't want to make a strictly emotional decision.
    Secondly, small dogs can hold their bladder fairly well, but I would definitely have an area with a pee pad, that he is trained to use in "emergencies".
    Your sheperd will "probably" be fine with the other dog if he is gentle with cats and rabbits. . .no gurantees tho.
    Best thing would be to introduce your big boy to the little guy at the pet shop. It's neutral ground.
    Another thing is to do some research on Daschunds (and whatever the other breed is) Each breed comes with their own pluses and minuses. (I can tell you this as the owner of a jack Russell- Eddie the Terrorist- lol ) I love mischievious active dogs, so good for me. Good for a quiet, inactive person?. . . not on your life.

If you do decide to take him and your worried about potential vet bills, I cannot stress enough. . . make your own food. It makes a HUGE difference.
    gameprogirl and hollyquaiscer like this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

thank-you gameprogirl and MortgageQueen..much appreciate your opinions.

I will try to take a day or 2 to really decide if that's what i want...just so hard not thinking about that dog. I just keep thinking about him in that cage and knowing nobody wants him. All animals should have at least one person in this world that loves him/her until their last breath. It just breaks my heart when i see animals treated like crap and nobody that loves them.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

We have a mini-poodle(male) and introduced another little dog 3 times now. The first one was a great match (also a male) - shih tzu and they were real pals until the second one met his untimely death on the road. We tried adopting a female and it was a disaster - she had to go back to the Humane Society - they had vicious fights. We then adopted another male mini-schnauzer They are great companions and after a few little "accidents" we put the new fellow in a crate when we are away - he likes it there and never messes. We are usually home but do have occurances when we have been away up to 7 hours. They follow us everywhere - they like to be "near" - on your feet, beside you or ON you when you are sitting down. They are great pals and great company for us.
    This last doggie is not a big expense but the shih tzu had many medical challenges and was VERY expensive and had to have special food and medications all the time.
    I don't know about daschunds - but if you pm Lynn49 - she is absolutely IN LOVE with hers and could tell you about there needs and Pluses! I know that dogs sold in Petstores can be results of puppy mills. You might want to ask about where he came from and whether it was a reputable breeder. You might even want to visit his original "home". Good luck in your decision.
    hollyquaiscer likes this.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by avoncallingu View Post
    We have a mini-poodle(male) and introduced another little dog 3 times now. The first one was a great match (also a male) - shih tzu and they were real pals until the second one met his untimely death on the road. We tried adopting a female and it was a disaster - she had to go back to the Humane Society - they had vicious fights. We then adopted another male mini-schnauzer They are great companions and after a few little "accidents" we put the new fellow in a crate when we are away - he likes it there and never messes. We are usually home but do have occurances when we have been away up to 7 hours. They follow us everywhere - they like to be "near" - on your feet, beside you or ON you when you are sitting down. They are great pals and great company for us.
    This last doggie is not a big expense but the shih tzu had many medical challenges and was VERY expensive and had to have special food and medications all the time.
    I don't know about daschunds - but if you pm Lynn49 - she is absolutely IN LOVE with hers and could tell you about there needs and Pluses! I know that dogs sold in Petstores can be results of puppy mills. You might want to ask about where he came from and whether it was a reputable breeder. You might even want to visit his original "home". Good luck in your decision.
    Yes, i know that Lynn49 as a dashunds and was kinda hoping she would see my post and give me some sort of advice.. maybe i should of put in my title.. need advice with a dashund/mix..that would of gotten lynn all over it..

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just message her. . have you ever seen Lynn NOT happy to talk about her little Jenny?!
    hollyquaiscer likes this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post
    Just message her. . have you ever seen Lynn NOT happy to talk about her little Jenny?!
    lol..true!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Before anything where did the pet store get the dog? it it hosting for a shelter or a puppy mill?

has the store been doing regular vet care? by 5 months of age the dog should have had at least his 2 cd set of shots and dewormings done.

I hate that im jumping in sounding so dismal but I sadly ended up with a puppy mill dog before I knew better and I had to rehome him becasue he was just safe in my home and I dont want to see others have the same thing happen, not to mention how it supports puppy mills and all that.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information