User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree252Likes

Thread: What summer jobs did you have as a teen?

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

My first summer job was a lemonade stand - I think I was 5 or 6 - it was plastic made by Kool-aid then I moved on to babysitting, dog sitting ( a little ole lady actually paid me to watch her dog while she went to bingo?? still never figured that one out) then I moved on to McDonalds ) My friend Kathleen and I would actually pick up guys on thier way to the lake thru the drive thru winodw lol - Those were the days!!

But my fav summer job was that of my high school gym teacher - In the summer he worked as the pizza delivery driver and boy were we shocked when we were having parties at the lake and he would show up with our pizzas lolol

Ok who has a time machine I miss those days!!

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Flyer route - I used to recycle walk all the time doing them and dig through ppl's blue bins for Pepsi Points. I got myself a t-shirt and a CD wallet as a Christmas bonus. lol.

Babysitting

Games Carni - yeppers at our local amusement park. Ran, hula hoops over box (scam), rings on bottles (scam), milk jugs with baseball (trick is a back spin) and skeeball. The scams are pure luck we would have about one winner on each a summer. I would practise when it was dead. I can usually walk away from Canada's Wonderland (in Ontario) with a big stuffie...oh my hidden secrets!

Lifeguard - first at the water park where I was a games Carni. Then they shut that place down and I worked at three local pools both life guarding and teaching swimming lessons.

They were all great jobs!
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Junior High and High school I had various jobs.. babysitting,dog walking, mowing lawns, delivering flyers. High School I worked a few days a week in the evenings at a Community Club. In the food canteen, usually during bingo hours or other events.
    Natalka, McSkier, ninna and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Attachment 126074

What types of jobs did you do in the summer months between school years
    - both in high school, and post-secondary?

My work years started in the 1970s.
    I started earlier than high school, I babysat summers when I was 11 and 12.

When I was in Grade Eight, I started working at the public library as a page. That was heaven; I spent most of my time there anyway! I was underage, but that somehow wasn't a big deal then.

Changed that when I started working part-time at a publishing company/newspaper through my Grade 10 year, and worked full-time there the summers after Grade 10 and Grade 11. I was a typesetter.
    I felt very fortunate to work for this company, because they were very future-looking, and it was the mid-70s so I was able to work on computers earlier than my peers. I ended up working for this company years later at two different times as a reporter, photographer, and editor.

The summer fter Grade 12, I worked at The Met (department store) at the Mall. I was a cashier and in charge of smokes and jewellery.

Following my first and second years of university, I was SO lucky to get a summer job at the Saskatchewan Hospital, a mental hospital. I say lucky because it was a government job, and it meant that I could save a lot of money for uni in the four months each summer. Some of my friends were aides or worked in the laundry, but I was a float, so would change positions every two or three weeks when someone went on holiday (I did everything from accounting, tailoring, to canteen). Most fascinating place I have worked, but also the scariest.

Attachment 126076

A job I would have wanted, lol!
    Natalka...wtg on the numbers and diversified jobs you did!!!
    Natalka, McSkier and DaveP like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I worked at Bick's Pickles in Scarborough, back in the day. I had to take the GO Bus from the Scarborough Town Centre to Ajax. EVERY day. About an hour, if no traffic jam. I smelled like pickle juice/vinegar and got some looks on the GO bus. Didn't care because it payed well for a food factory job and I saved for school.
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Fri, Jul 6th, 2012 at 06:48 PM.
    Natalka, McSkier, lecale and 6 others like this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    I worked at Bick's Pickles in Scarborough, back in the day. I had to take the GO Bus from the Scarborough Town Centre to Ajax. EVERY day. About an hour, if no traffic jam. I smelled like pickle juice/vinegar and got some looks on the GO bus. Didn't care because it payed well for a food factory job and I saved for school.
    Oh, I loves me some Bick's Garlic Dills!!

Name:  6680742235_89565cec3f.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  33.7 KB

YUMMY!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My first job was babysitting and I loved it although didn't get the opportunity to do it very often as I was so young myself.
    My next job was working at a horse camp. I would work in the stables in the morning, cleaning the stalls, feeding and grooming the horses. In the afternoons I would teach riding lessons to the kids. It was absolutely great and perfect except one thing: I had to go up into the attic to get hay down for the horse stalls. But it was... what's the best way to describe this... covered with a curtain of spiders/spider webs! I still get the creeps about that and remember my boss yelling at me to keep moving as I crawled through head first into the webs as the spiders fell down on me. And those were not your average small house spider oh no... I had to quit because as I was bringing a horse in from the pasture and he stepped on my foot and broke it I still had to do the lesson before leaving for the day though. That was painful.
    For the next 8 years I worked my summers at a farm. I picked fruit and vegetables and then there was a stand up at the main road where we sold the stuff. I enjoyed working in the fields the best. I would sometimes work over 60 hours a week at that job and loved it. I got there at 6 or 7am and stayed until 5 or 6pm for 6 days a week. After work I'd get a ride home on my coworkers dirt bike or 4-wheeler and had a much needed shower... only to be back there a few hours later to party with them all night! It was exhausting but I had some really great summers there and made lots of money.
    During university I worked a slew of jobs. One was at a health food store and I really liked it. I opened and closed the store and sometimes would be the only one working all day but had lots of fun stocking the shelves with interesting foods and talking with customers about natural health products. I worked as a cashier at a grocery store at the same time and can't say I really enjoyed it but it wasn't too bad. That summer I lost 33 pounds and it was probably the best summer I ever had.
    My next jobs consisted of retail until I finally landed an office gig about two years ago.
    I have a great job now that I worked very hard for 2 whole years to get just the entry level position. I've been there for just over a year and aspire to work my way up.
    Last edited by papillon; Fri, Jul 6th, 2012 at 11:20 PM. Reason: it was just too long...
    Natalka, McSkier, lecale and 1 others like this.
    "Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than You." - Dr. Seuss

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Oh, I loves me some Bick's Garlic Dills!!

Name:  6680742235_89565cec3f.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  33.7 KB

YUMMY!!
    I use to make those when I worked there!
    Natalka and DaveP like this.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

First job was at Dominion as a cashier. Worked there for a year and loved it. Got paid every week, (mind you it was only a shift or two a week, but a $60 paycheck is pretty good when you`re 17)

Actually pretty sure it wasn`t even $60, maybe $30 haha
    Natalka, DaveP, cath007 and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Well I was thinking of those years yesterday!!!

First job as a young teen was to baby-sitting kids I got the baby-sitting court and I love it...well paid(4or 5$ hrs)...and I had like 5 familly..kids was awesome!!!
    Another one was to pick the rasberries and strawberries ..we got a bus at the church who bring us to the farmer..and we get paid everyday by the weight we pick

Another one was to do some cleaning at my house and get paid or helping my familly with theirs gardens.

Another one was to pass the circulars and make it all the publisacs....I was like 13 years old made maybe 7$ per week...get paid extra when they have more flyers than the limit...but coupons did not exist at this time...I did not knew what was a coupon...today if I could redo it...I will take the extra inserts..because they always add extras!!!

Another one was not payed but was for pick up food door to door for christmas or to collect money for the less fortunate people and make some basckets...very gratified

Another one was a volontary humanitary travel with my school...we paid some of the fees on your own but sell all kind of things to raise money...we went 3 weeks to do humanitary work in Guatemala and I learned so much there..the best learned experiences and lessons in my life...

And the last job was 1 summer working with defficents peoples...like a camp ...was not well payed but I was feed and was very rewarding!!!

Its not how much you have in life who count....it's the value and how you live your life who count...and learn that was priceless!!!
    Last edited by cath007; Sat, Jul 7th, 2012 at 07:57 PM.
    Natalka, lecale, DaveP and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

cath, your last sentence is very, very true - I totally agree! I, too, did lots of volunteer work right from when I was a kid til just a few years ago - so many valuable lessons learned.
    McSkier and cath007 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

First job was a candy striper at a downtown hospital, then the next summer I worked at a lodge near our family cottage.
    Then a couple of years at a local hospital....al in prep for going into nursing.
    I still volunteer to this day - er though not as a candy striper - ahahah - doubt that vol position even exists today
    Volunteering truly does help make a difference in our communities
    Natalka, lecale, DaveP and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Well, I saw the cutest thing today. A 7 year old on a quasi-busy street in London. It wasn't the little white tent that was cute. Nor the pitchers of lemonade set up on the table. Nor the little girl in her pink shirt and jean skirt.

It was her DAD marching up and down the sidewalk in the hot afternoon sun with a cardboard sign advertising his daughter's lemonade stand to the traffic that passed by.

Naturally we made a huge u-turn in the middle of the road and went back to buy some lemonade! What a great daddy for a little girl to have!
    Natalka, DaveP and cath007 like this.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

babysitting
    cleaning reclaimed bricks for resale (basically chipping off the mortar and discarding any bricks that were not suitable for re-use)
    corn sorting/dryers
    Natalka likes this.
    Collecting Campbell's soup labels for our school RAKs greatly appreciated.
    Using WagJag for great deals!

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I thought this article had some intereasting points , several of which we have already discussed.

But I'd be wary of saying that everyone who does this kind of work is destined to move on to other things." The sad reality is that some people will be doing these jobs all their lives, he suggests. And sometimes people "slum it" for a few weeks and dine out on the experience for the rest of their lives.
    "They may dabble in menial work and then wear it as a badge of pride. 'I know what it's like - I spent a summer fruit picking'. It's almost worse than someone who's never done a part-time job in their life."
    I had the (mis)fortune to work with one of those humblebraggers. She was proud of "slaving away in a shop for 3 whole weeks " before Daddy relented and raised her pocket money.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information