User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Store clerks not giving proper change back

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

It seems to be happening more and more frequently around here. Last week at the video store the total was $5.99 and I paid with a $20.00 and she gave me back $14.00. I said "I though the price was $5.99?" and only then did she offer me the penny she owed me. Same thing tonight at Subway. Is this only happening to me or are others seeing this as well?
    This thread is currently associated with: Subway
    matrix82 and Aimz like this.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

maybe they are getting ahead of themselves with the disappearance of the penny coming soon frustrating though I like my pennies
    Last edited by Midnightly; Sat, Aug 11th, 2012 at 08:53 PM.
    DH666 and MomOfOne79 like this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i get this all the time but usually its a couple bucks they're giving me over, they're lucky im a honest person! LOL
    smartshopper888 and DH666 like this.
    join my superpoints network and get gifts card for amazon , or paypal, or rewards.
    http://superpoints.com/refer/skid13_mm
    http://www.surveysavvy.com/?m=4263495

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It's happened to me, and funnily enough, it's always a penny difference. I let it go a few times (always different stores), but I remember asking for my penny once. It may sound ridiculous, but I reasoned with myself that if I were to hand them a penny under, it probably wouldn't be shrugged off and they probably wouldn't say "oh well." A penny is a penny, and money is money. I don't pay you less than you ask for - don't take more than is deserved!

ETA: I've never actually said "give me my penny back." More like I've asked, "the total was $3.99, yes? I thought I gave you $4.00."

Also, I'm totally one of those people who hates the fact that the penny is being discontinued. I actually like being able to use up my change by giving the exact amount [and I don't want to see prices rounded up].
    Last edited by Aimz; Sun, Aug 12th, 2012 at 12:50 AM.
    rehender, Natalka, DH666 and 5 others like this.

[*A I M Z*]

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

For me it's not the money, it's the principle. If they would have said something like I don't have a penny in my till, I would probably tell them it's OK. It's the fact that it is owed to me and they did not even offer it or say something. As Aimz said, they would not accept it if we under paid them at all. I find it dishonest.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    166 (100%)

Happens all the time and you are right I always let it go but I bet if I was short a penny I would need to go to my car searching for one!
    DH666 and smileyKT like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightly View Post
    maybe they are getting ahead of themselves with the disappearance of the penny coming soon frustrating though I like my pennies
    Next time I visit these places I will short them two pennies and wait for them to ask. Then I'll give them my two cents.
    Jezebel, Tabby40, Safyre and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

I was actually at Subway once when they had the 5 dollar footlongs, the cashier tried to charge me $6.56 on the debit machine instead of $5.65, very sneaky.

A dollar difference, I'll make a big deal out of it but a penny... I tend to leave my extra pennys in the penny dish or the donation box.
    smartshopper888 and DH666 like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I wouldn't make a deal over a single penny, personally. I absolutely get where you're coming from though, it absolutely doesn't go both ways, so they shouldn't hold onto any money that isn't rightfully theirs unless you say so.

A lot of people get really mad when you try to give them pennies, especially since they're to be phased out quite soon. Some act like it's toxic waste burning a hole in their hands. But I always ask if people want their pennies back, I don't just assume.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I totally agree with the principle of it. The worst is drive-thrus. They never attempt to give your change back (I am generally pretty much right on with my money so maybe a dime back from them) and they rarely hand it over.
    matrix82 and DH666 like this.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

last week i was shorted a dollar at tim Hortons but i didnt notice till i left and drove away!
    DH666 likes this.

Trading Score
    90 (100%)

Slightly off topic but I used to manage a pop up seasonal store and received several complaints about one of my part timers shorting customers with change. Turns out she would do it to every customer that paid cash and would walk away with about 10 dollars a day. needless to say she was let go.
    DH666, DaveP and MomOfOne79 like this.

Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Sorry but I want my penny back! A while ago, my lil brother was ordering ice cream and when he paid, the cashier said he'd not be getting his ice cream cos he was a penny under. Like seriously??? He's a kid! So I dished out the penny when he came to me as I was waiting outside for him but since then, I demand my penny back. I always count my change now before I leave and there have been times where I've been shortchanged and nope, I don't care...me counting my own money isn't cheap! Just I know from bitter experience!
    DH666 likes this.
    Shop online often? Join ebates.ca to get cashback on your purchases! I have earned over $230 to date.

Always looking for Pampers Gift To Grow codes! If you don't use them, please RAOK them to me.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lorressa View Post
    last week i was shorted a dollar at tim Hortons but i didnt notice till i left and drove away!
    That could be just a mistake since kids these days don't seem to be able to make change properly, or it could be someone making their own "tips". Hard to tell anymore.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

One Christmas in Pickering, Walmart hired extra staff for the increased shoppers. I gave the new cashier a 20 dollar bill. My change should have been $15. She gave me a $5. She tried to tell me that I gave her $10.

I know the regular cashiers there and wished they were working.
    I told her that I would wait until she called her manager and have them count the till total to compare with sales. She was surprised that I knew that this could be done.

When the manager came over, I told the manager that the $20 I gave had a small tear in the upper corner, and it would be the one on the top of the pile. The manager opened the till, gave me $10 and apologized. The cashier didn't.

From that point on, I decided to wait for my favourite cashiers, even if it is a long line.
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Sun, Aug 12th, 2012 at 06:55 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information