User Tag List

Like Tree10Likes
  • 4 Post By marstec
  • 3 Post By Natalka
  • 1 Post By gunsguy
  • 1 Post By Gazpache
  • 1 Post By toban

Thread: I got a good cell phone deal today.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I bought a Nokia cellphone at Costco for my son who is going into grade nine. The phone was $129.99 with a $50 rebate. We bought the $50 warranty that extends repair coverage from one year to three years, and is rebated back in the form of Costco gift cards if you don't use it. You get unlimited texts and 300 daytime minutes and free evenings and weekends. There is no data, but the price per month is only $12.75, or around $15 all fees in.

This is with a 3 year plan through Rogers. The increased competition has been good for consumers...the charges aren't nearly as onerous as they once were for breaking your contract. His Nokia phone is very sturdy and had wi-fi capability and you can download maps for it and use the GPS function that is included.

The prices vary depending on what phone you choose, but this monthly plan is even cheaper than the pay as you go. I'm not sure whether this is available across Canada, but there are always deals at the Costco phone kiosk, and particularly as we head into the Fall/back-to-school.

Btw, I am now the only member of my immediate family without a cell phone.
    This thread is currently associated with: Costco, Rogers (Plus)
    Natalka, walkonby, ssbean and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Glad you found something affordable which works for him.

Oh, you aren't the only one - I am also cell phone-less.

When my son was in high school, that's when we started him on the 7-Eleven Speakout phones and plans. Great Nokia phones, always lot of deals on phones if he wanted to upgrade, and it's pay-as-you-go, and that was the best of all.
    He pays $10 for unlimited texts; he rarely calls, so I don't know those charges.
    Only other fee is $1 for 911; no other monthly fees.

His friends can't wait to be rid of their contracts to go on the same plan with phones he is on...
    walkonby, toban and marstec like this.

Trading Score
    34 (100%)

I use petro canada wireless pay as you go $39.99 / month unlimited calls and texts
    toban likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I'm with telus for pay as you go. I bought my phone 8 years ago.. it's so old it doesn't even have a camera! I pay $10 a month and usually at least 8 of that rolls over to the next month. I never use the thing! I'll stick with this until my phone dies.. then I guess I'll be forced to upgrade.. but I love telus's pay as you go! cheap and totally awesome
    toban likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

marstec, that sounds like a great deal There are so many companies and plans it can be difficult in choosing one.
    marstec likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by toban View Post
    marstec, that sounds like a great deal There are so many companies and plans it can be difficult in choosing one.
    Yeah, this was for the son, so it had to have some features to it...couldn't get away with a simple flip phone on a $10 pay as you go plan. Actually, my other son has a pay as you go with Sasktel and we pay over $18 per month for it and the phone is not as good.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

But it's still ridiculous we have to sign 3 year contracts to get a good deal. In the US they only have 2 year contracts. I believe none of the European countries have 3 year contracts either. We Canadians are the only ones who put up with this crap while the telecoms make record profits.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I heard Canada has the highest cell phone fees in the world

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    But it's still ridiculous we have to sign 3 year contracts to get a good deal. In the US they only have 2 year contracts. I believe none of the European countries have 3 year contracts either. We Canadians are the only ones who put up with this crap while the telecoms make record profits.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    209 (100%)

Great plan OP. Hope your DS enjoys the new phone.
    If you are interested in Houseseats here is my referal link:
    http://www.houseseats.ca/[email protected]

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

the only reason why i got a cell phone is because i was able to transfer my landline number to it, which i have for 30 years.... now i just have the cell.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by frugal50 View Post
    the only reason why i got a cell phone is because i was able to transfer my landline number to it, which i have for 30 years.... now i just have the cell.
    I've heard a lot of people are doing this now. Do you get a lot less telemarketing calls? We've had our landline forever, can't see us doing away with it any time soon.

My daughter has an iPhone and we have to watch carefully because, since it is a data plan, Sasktel likes to nickel and dime you for everything extra.

Cystal
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

A good deal, i just search for one online!

Thread Information