• 1 Post By Poirot
  • 1 Post By hollyquaiscer
  • 1 Post By katmunster
  • 2 Post By GracieAnne

Thread: Not so happy vacation for my sis

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    118 (100%)

First of all this is a rant about what happened to my sister but I got mad about it too so I figured this is the best place to just let it all go (or try at least).

So my sister has been visiting this month. She lives in Germany, so we dont get to hang out much.
    The first 2 weeks were great then as she was getting ready to go to the states to visit some family she gets the worst call.

(I don't have all of the details yet but this is what we know so far)
    Her neighbor, who is taking care of the house and plants while my sister and nephew are here, gets in touch with her. My sister doesnt really know this lady, but she trusts her enough with the house, so she wasnt expecting any calls/emails as there isnt much to take care of around the house.

So her neighbor tells her that her house was robbed and ransacked!!!!!!

This neighbor also called the police which ended up fingerprinting the place and found a HUGE KNIFE on the sofa.
    Looks like the burglar was running around the house with a knife before stealing anything.
    The don't know what exactly is missing yet as my sister wont be home until this coming Saturday.
    The police did find out that they took a PS3, Wii and the games for it.
    Which you know is not that big of a loss, I mean what if my sister was there when it happened?!?!!?!?
    who knows what the resolute would have been, so luckily no injuries.

But what really makes me super mad is the fact that my sister had my grandmothers jewelery. My grandmother passed away only 4 years ago and its the only items we have left to remember her. So now were all anxious about finding out if any of it was stolen and what kind of damage they did to the place. We know they broke a window but that's all we really know for now.

My sister is now terrified of going back and will be making some calls while shes here to get someone to fix the window and install bars on them and/or get a security system.

I just cant believe that happened and I'm scared for my sister since we don't know how long the fix/security installation will take.

All I can say is I hope they catch whoever did it and lock them up for good. And hopefully its not someone from the neighborhood.

Thanks for reading this, just really had to get it off my chest.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    -- Kat --

Started couponing June 1st,2011

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

How very awful; but it was good there was no one at home there to be hurt.
    hollyquaiscer likes this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

What a terrible thing to have happen, especially when you are out of the country.
    Jonesy

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That's scary.Thank goodness your sister wasn't there.

Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I can sympathize how your sister is feeling. I lived in Australia for a year going to school. For the last month I travelled around Australia and New Zealand. A friend was staying at my apartment while I was away. Anyway, one day while traveling I check my email and receive one from my friend who tells me that my apartment was broken into. He had trouble telling what was taken. Money and a laptop were missing for sure, and some of his belongings. He called the police, and then packed up as much of mine and his things and moved into another friend's apartment until I returned. He was a 6 foot 4 big athletic guy, and he was too scared to stay in the apartment alone. I still had two weeks of travelling before I flew back. It was difficult with this weighing on my mind. When I returned, we both went back to the apartment together to get the rest of my things, and I didn't stay there for the last few weeks of my year in Australia.

You feel so violated. Please be sure to have your sister change all her locks, just in case. If you find out that certain things were taken, then contact hock shops with descriptions of these items.

I'm so sorry this happened.
    ......SEARCH USING SWAGBUCKS!.....
    ..................EARN $$$ FAST!..................
    .............Join using my referral..............
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/K8sFate

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

That is terrible, I'm just happy that nobody was home. Things can be replaced as I'm sure she had insurance. The sad thing is, if they did take your grandmothers jewelry, it cannot be replaced. I'm angry too, the fact that people think it's ok to invade anothers home and help themselves to years of memories and heirlooms from generations past.

I am wondering though, with your sister not home, how do they know that your sister even had game consoles and games. It strikes me odd, as you said that your sister didn't know this neighbour that well. I can see if the connection wires were left behind, but how would they know what type of console she had, or that she had 2. Even with the games, how would they know she had any games. Something just doesn't seem right.
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    118 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hollyquaiscer View Post
    That is terrible, I'm just happy that nobody was home. Things can be replaced as I'm sure she had insurance. The sad thing is, if they did take your grandmothers jewelry, it cannot be replaced. I'm angry too, the fact that people think it's ok to invade anothers home and help themselves to years of memories and heirlooms from generations past.

I am wondering though, with your sister not home, how do they know that your sister even had game consoles and games. It strikes me odd, as you said that your sister didn't know this neighbour that well. I can see if the connection wires were left behind, but how would they know what type of console she had, or that she had 2. Even with the games, how would they know she had any games. Something just doesn't seem right.
    The neighbor is the one that called my sister and the cops right away, shes an elderly lady that lives next door. Unless shes a games I don't think its her lol. The police knew what was missing because wires were left behind and they also found the boxes of the consoles that my sister kept in one of the closets, as for the games, the stand where they were was completely empty (right by the TV) so I guess they assumed it was the games for the consoles.

And yes most things can be replaced, Im just praying that our grandmothers jewelery is still there untouched.
    Wont know the extend of the damage till Sunday.

And thank you everyone for reading and your responses.
    I will definitely get my sister to read this.
    -- Kat --

Started couponing June 1st,2011

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

That is awful, I do also have suspicions about the neighbour, even if it wasn't intentional, she could have mentioned to someone that she was house sitting a neighbours house while they were out of the country just in casual conversation. I know my grandma has the habit of saying things before she thinks. :/
    Poor dear though, hopefully she has decent insurance.
    hollyquaiscer and Shwa Girl like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    40 (100%)

I can totally sympathize with your sister. I know exactly how terrifying it can be to return to that type of environment. I was mugged at gunpoint close to my home. The mugger learned my name, address, phone number, and even got me to tell him my pin code for my bank card. Fortunately, the police caught him in the act of mugging me and he was put under arrest immediately. From that moment on I was terrified to leave the house. I refused to go anywhere by myself.

I can only imagine that fear that one would feel knowing that their home has been broken into while away. I hope that she finds a way to feel more secure.

Thread Information