User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Granger

Thread: Mat leave

couponchick
    Trading Score
    172 (97%)

Hello has anyone recently applied for maternity leave benefits and if so how long did it take to process as I know my company sent in the roe electronically
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    422 (100%)

If you applied right away it shouldn't take longer than 3 weeks. 2 weeks are your waiting period (which you do not get paid for). Then you will get paid out one week first and then after that every 2 weeks. Good luck and CONGRATS!

couponchick
    Trading Score
    172 (97%)

Thank you I don't think I have a waiting period as per my hr person bc I was on sick leave for three weeks. With my first I was on sick leave for two weeks and bypassed waiting period too but it was processed within one week so this time it's been over a week already

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

My last day of work was November 10, and I didn't get paid anything until the last week of January. When I called them, they said that they needed to check into things because I had done a 3-day temporary job doing marking of provincial exams in addition to my regular job back in July. Of course, they didn't "check into things" until after I called them, so payment was terribly delayed.

If a person was living paycheque to paycheque, that kind of delay (especially over Christmas) would really hurt! I hope things like this don't happen too often!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I went on medical leave one month ago. I did the application on the computer at my local Service Canada agency, submitted my doctor's note and my ROE was submitted electronically. I was told it would take 28days to receive my first payment. The first two weeks of this time would be my waiting period. I did not get paid, so I called in this morning. Turns out I was not properly informed that I need to do my EI reports while on medical leave...whereas you do not need to do the reports once you are on maternity or parental leave. I just received a letter in the mail this afternoon that told me my application was approved and I needed to submit these reports. When I spoke to the person on the phone this morning I was finally able to find out exactly how much money I should be receiving.

You can always call 1-800-206-7218 (that is who I spoke with this morning). You will need your SIN and your access code.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    369 (100%)

Mine didn't take long at all, was between two and three weeks. Last day of work was end of May and got first cheque mid June.

Trading Score
    213 (98%)

I had to wait a month...I was mad....

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Don't even get me started on El Maternity/Parental Benefits. Usually things are smooth and things will process in 2-3 weeks (which is fast). Stay on top of them though because they can make mistakes which cause delays and headaches.

To anyone, use your local MP to advocate for you if you have multiple problems with Service Canada. Oh, and you have to press 0 to speak to someone for the phone number above. They don't list that as an option. Oh, and sometimes you have to call 4 times+ and press 0 because they have a high call volume (really?) and disconnect you. I think it is a tactic to deter you from getting through and filter Canadian Citizens. Conspiracy theory? I think so.

You may all know this already as you have been through it once. But I regularly feel the need to warn others from my learnings.

On that note, may your money find its way quickly and safely to your bank account and congratulations!
    matrix82 and ame555 like this.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kw01ai View Post
    Don't even get me started on El Maternity/Parental Benefits. Usually things are smooth and things will process in 2-3 weeks (which is fast). Stay on top of them though because they can make mistakes which cause delays and headaches.

To anyone, use your local MP to advocate for you if you have multiple problems with Service Canada. Oh, and you have to press 0 to speak to someone for the phone number above. They don't list that as an option. Oh, and sometimes you have to call 4 times+ and press 0 because they have a high call volume (really?) and disconnect you. I think it is a tactic to deter you from getting through and filter Canadian Citizens. Conspiracy theory? I think so.

You may all know this already as you have been through it once. But I regularly feel the need to warn others from my learnings.

On that note, may your money find its way quickly and safely to your bank account and congratulations!

Agree! My last leave had my baby in November, finally got paid by the end of Jan! I was on sick leave a few weeks before, 2 weeks my employer paid and 1 week EI and somehow someone got all confused about this and it took forever to get straightened out!

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I had my baby in Aug, finally got a payment in middle of Oct.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Here in Quebec, since there is no waiting period, I got a payment right away without any problems.

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

I am anticipating a major headache from the EI system. I'm due at the end of December and am not eligible for EI (I'm self-employed, so there's a 1 year wait) until the end of January. DH plans to take parental leave, but I don't think we could go without his income during a "waiting period." Heck, even though I'm the lower income earner I probably won't be able take very much leave. Then again, I normally work from home and if there's any way I can work even 2 days a week total (a few hours here and there or working weekends when DH is available to be the primary caregiver), I would earn more from my work than from EI. (There are no employer top-ups, benefits, etc. when you're self-employed)

Thread Information