• 1 Post By Crochetlady
  • 1 Post By Natalka
  • 1 Post By Natalka
  • 1 Post By Crochetlady

Thread: Mystery in the Kitchen

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Mystery in the Kitchen

*1958* Why does a housewife concerned for her family's welfare feed them so inadequately that she endangers their very lives? The film is a humorous and satirical attempt to remind the average housewife that it is not enough to be aware of modern food facts; they must also be applied in daily food purchasing and preparation.

http://www.nfb.ca/film/mystery_in_kitchen/
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Crochetlady, walkonby and vesper like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

bluerose! I watched all of that! It was weird, but I could not look away! lol Everyone if you get a chance watch the other one that is called " Hold The ketchup " from 1977. Wow, it is a film that will warm every immigrants heart! I am certain if my aunts and uncles were alive to watch that, they would roar at the impression of what immigrants thought of Canadian food, and rightly so I'm afraid.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Just look at all those manicured lawns and neat as a pin houses, we only wish that could happen today. AND the SMOKING in the grocery store yet! The guy doing the narrating reminds me of an old saga of twilight zone. I'm like you WOB, I had to watch the entire video, not sure why, god, just dating myself I guess, nothing like a good ole classic Doesn't it remind you of leave it to beaver or mother knows best They definitely got the message across though, we need our vitamins!
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

The mystery one is hilarious!

In Hold the Ketchup - ay, on her making the strudel dough! Wowsers!

Lucky thing when my grandparents and dad came, the foods they wanted and were used to using very basic ingredients which were common on the prairies.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Liked the kitchen ,blue stove? and the metal acsseories ,the mystery food was yougurt lol. Well NFB rocks in my world.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    The mystery one is hilarious!

In Hold the Ketchup - ay, on her making the strudel dough! Wowsers!

Lucky thing when my grandparents and dad came, the foods they wanted and were used to using very basic ingredients which were common on the prairies.
    That was the sexiest strudel ever. And wow, I wish I could get meat that fresh!!
    hollyquaiscer and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I had to cover my eyes when they were slaughtering the chickens and bunny. ( wah!!!) and yet I eat meat, what a hypocrite eh?
    Nostalgic memory: my mom's chore as a kid was to pluck the feathers off the chickens that her dad raised and killed for the family's meals.
    Crochetlady likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

WOB, I remember my mom telling me about the first time she had to kill a chicken on their farm; she was a young teen... ick!
    Gosh, what they went through!
    Crochetlady and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Nostalgic memory: my mom's chore as a kid was to pluck the feathers off the chickens that her dad raised and killed for the family's meals.[/QUOTE]

That was my job too. I hated it.
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    WOB, I remember my mom telling me about the first time she had to kill a chicken on their farm; she was a young teen... ick!
    Gosh, what they went through!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crochetlady View Post
    Nostalgic memory: my mom's chore as a kid was to pluck the feathers off the chickens that her dad raised and killed for the family's meals.
    That was my job too. I hated it.[/QUOTE]

Oh my!! I thought no one would even identify with my Mom's plight! She would have been around 11 or so when she did this. Like you said Natalka....ew!! Also, with all the " cruelty to animals " laws present today and where sometimes they find a serial killer started out first killing animals as a young child, I wonder what effect doing it for food had on young kids back in the day?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

That was an interesting clip! I have to say, these days, it's the children that are doing it to themselves. I can provide all the healthy in the world, whether they touch it is another thing.

Only in the 50's would you have outfits that required a second set of hands to zip up! I am so accustomed to being comfortable in my home, can't imagine having to wear a suit jacket to the supper table!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post

Oh my!! I thought no one would even identify with my Mom's plight! She would have been around 11 or so when she did this. Like you said Natalka....ew!! Also, with all the " cruelty to animals " laws present today and where sometimes they find a serial killer started out first killing animals as a young child, I wonder what effect doing it for food had on young kids back in the day?[/QUOTE]

Actually, it was good - because it wasn't like the kids who do it for torture and sick fun and turn out to be killers later...

The farm kids knew and respected where their food came from, it was a very positive and healthy thing.

Interestingly, my husband growing up in Eastern Europe, had similar experiences growing up - a generation later than my mom here. They didn't have a farm, but there they had big lots where they did some farming, had orchards, and farm animals.
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

sorry, don't know why it quoted the above oddly....
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I spent part of my childhood on a farm. Dad raised cattle, pigs and chickens. Mom had 2 huge gardens. I feel sorry for kids that grow up in the city and have no idea where their food comes from. And NO brown cows do NOT produce chocolate milk lol
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post

Oh my!! I thought no one would even identify with my Mom's plight! She would have been around 11 or so when she did this. Like you said Natalka....ew!! Also, with all the " cruelty to animals " laws present today and where sometimes they find a serial killer started out first killing animals as a young child, I wonder what effect doing it for food had on young kids back in the day?[/QUOTE]

Animals raised on small family farms are treated much more humanely than on the huge factory farms. DH worked at a chicken barn for 5 years years. I refuse to buy eggs in a store. Their first job every morning was to collect dead birds from the cages.

Thread Information