User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Car Insurance prices for a G2 (Ontario) driver... what did you pay?

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

So, I just got my G2 (late to the driving game) and was looking up insurance prices for a $1500 car (haven't purchased, just wanted to know) and they quoted me almost $3000. How much did you pay for insurance?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

For comparison, it's going to change according to province, and type/year of vehicle. Also, in our province we have a good drivers' reward program, so that changes the amount as well as you get a discount according to your safety rating. In SK it age doesn't matter.

Just as an example, for our 1999 Dodge Caravan, annual total for registration and insurance is $845.

Anyone in SK can use the rate calculator online (or if not in SK, do it for fun!)
    http://www.sgi.sk.ca/online_services/rate/index.html
    matrix82 likes this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by xox2010 View Post
    So, I just got my G2 (late to the driving game) and was looking up insurance prices for a $1500 car (haven't purchased, just wanted to know) and they quoted me almost $3000. How much did you pay for insurance?
    Do you have a university degree or are you a member of an affiliation such as CAA (probably not since you're getting your license now )? If so, try TD Meloche Monnex. Cheap insurance! Rather than waiting for you to prove to have 10 years of clear driving, they give you that up front. Granted I have had my license for 11 years now, but I only pay $67/month for auto insurance compared to my previous $120.
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by alicia View Post
    Do you have a university degree or are you a member of an affiliation such as CAA (probably not since you're getting your license now )? If so, try TD Meloche Monnex. Cheap insurance! Rather than waiting for you to prove to have 10 years of clear driving, they give you that up front. Granted I have had my license for 11 years now, but I only pay $67/month for auto insurance compared to my previous $120.
    alicia, good point about CAA. If OP is a new driver, but has a family member with CAA, OP can be added as an additional CAA member (10?$25?). CAA will provide insurance quotes to the additional members too.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

No, my mom has Belair Direct... nobody in my family has CAA. I don't think the college I go to offers car insurance.. I'm still under the age of 25 (19) so no matter what I don't think anyone is going to give me discounts lol.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Just did a quick search, and CAA for one year here in NS it is $80-$150 per year. If it saves you a significant amount of money the $100 or so would be worth it for the membership. Just check out TD Meloche Monnex. They have a drop down menu for Students to check for your school and also Associations like CAA. I don't have an ON postal code to put in and don't know your college so I can't have a look.

Question: a G2 is where you can drive on your own but not after midnight, right (we have different categories here)? I never had insurance of my own on my graduated license, just as a driver on my parents so I can't compare directly but $250/month seems high, even for an inexperienced driver.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

You can drive after midnight, but you cannot have more than 1 passenger I believe. Once you turn 20 though (if you still have your G2 and not your full G), you can have up to three passengers in the car.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Just check the TD Meloche Monnex site out.. they don't have my college listed but I'm going fill out the form and see what their prices are like. Thank you!

Trading Score
    133 (100%)

I'm with Johnson Insurance, they give a discount because of the college I went to. They were fantastic after I was in an accident (not at fault) and they have the best prices by far (for me). I believe their website is www.johnson.ca
    Unfortunately you're going to be paying quite a bit until you turn 25!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm paying $125/month on an Acura TL in the GTA, but I got a discount because I live 10 mins from work so I don't drive every day. When I used to drive daily it was over $200/m.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sounds about right for a new driver in Ontario. When I got my G2 a couple of years ago, in my early 30s, insurance for me was about $2500-$2800. If you can be a secondary under someone else and not own your own car, I would go that route. If you have to have your own car, you will pay.
    My kids dad, when he came here, he was 25. On a new car (a little Rio) we paid $4400 for the first year.
    Take a drivers course, if you have not already.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

As i_forget stated, secondary driver is much cheaper than principal driver. We added my 17 year old stepdaughter to ours (2 cars) when she got her G2 in April for $50/month. Principal driver would be much more.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Here in NS, I don't think it's so much age that matters as how long you've had insurance.

The last time we looked into it, the insurance for DH and I to buy a new car would be $3,000+ a year. We were both over 30 then, but had never had insurance in NS before so we were being charged a big rate. I've had a drivers license for nearly 25 years, didn't help a bit. Let it lapse for 18 months and you're back to square one. We decided it was cheaper to buy a house.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by xox2010 View Post
    Try calling TD for car insurance. They have great rates for new drivers with a clean record.
    BD Williams
    Insurance Agent Extraordinaire
    car insurance canada
    car insurance ontario

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I was paying $510/month when I was 18 with a G2 and 2002 Cavalier (Brand new). That was with no tickets...then I got some and it went up even more.

Now...as a "mature" adult (I use mature in quotations because my wife says I am immature all the time) on a 2013 Ford Explorer LTD and 2007 Civic...I pay $130/month with collision on them both.

Imagine how much money I would have saved if I was paying when I was 18 (10 years ago) what I am paying now.
    Matt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information