User Tag List

Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By TrueNorthTreasures
  • 3 Post By Angela273
  • 2 Post By anastasia1009
  • 3 Post By SassyAshley
  • 1 Post By Shwa Girl
  • 1 Post By oscarandme

Thread: No Frills - My First Big Coupon Experience...Uhhmm...

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

While I have used coupons here and there over the years, I haven't actively pursued acquiring them until recently (I am currently unemployed). I had 5 FPCs and a "buy 2 get 1 free" coupon that I wanted to use today so I could have the items this weekend for our BBQ.

I went to No Frill, the closest grocery store to where I live. I got 4 of the FPC items, the B2G1 items, and a few other things. It was busy at the store, but not hectic. When I went through the cash, I had my regular items towards the front and placed the coupon items at the back, with the coupons beside them so things would be as clear as possible. The cashier saw the coupons, became a little flustered, and started reading them, asking, "What is this?".

I politely explained what each one was and pointed to each item the coupons belonged to. She had already put all the items through the cash, so had to go back and remove/cancel them as she looked at each coupon. When she got to the B2G1 coupon, she was even more flustered and said that she couldn't put it through. Not knowing much about how couponing worked, I said, "Oh, because the items are already on sale?" and she said "No, because we're not allowed to put through more than a certain number of manufacturer's coupons". I was surprised - I didn't realize there would be a limit, as I was not stacking or combining coupons on items. I said, "Three is the limit??" She said yes, that she didn't understand it either, but that was the limit. I said that was okay, and that I would not get the B2G1 items today after all.

The transaction took longer and seemed more complicated that I expected it to be. The woman behind me in line was throwing sour looks my way, and there were two people behind her (because even though the store was busy, there were only two cashiers on tills).

I paid, somewhat embarrassed and flustered myself...and a bit angry, because if I can't smoothly redeem manufacturer's coupons for food items at a grocery store, there is something seriously wrong! I got to the car and thought, "Wait, this is not right". I looked at my receipt and saw that I had been charged twice for one item, and on the B2G1 items, she rang through SIX instead of removing the three that I chose not to get because the store wouldn't honor the coupon.

I went back into the store with my bags and got back in line (behind four other people). She called, "Oh, did I make a mistake?". I nodded my head yes and tried to hide my annoyance. She called to another woman who was working on the floor and said, "Joanne, would you talk to her??" (Meaning me).

When I showed Joanne the bill and explained the problem, her eyes bugged out when she saw that 6 items I did not buy had been rung through. I told her it was a busy day and that the scanner was likely sensitive and that I was giving her coupons, so perhaps the cashier had been distracted. Joanne said, "Even so, that is no excuse for being charged for 7 items you did not buy". Suffice to say, I felt some relief when she said that. I hate rocking the boat, but at the same time what should have been a 5 minute transaction at the till ended up taking me 25 minutes and almost cost me $22.50 (the amount I was overcharged). She apologized and wished me a nice weekend.

From there, I went to Shopper's Drug Mart to mail a letter and decided to ask the cashier *before* I shopped whether they accept manufacturer's coupons. She smiled and said they did (though looked at me a little oddly. Ha!). I thanked her, picked up the items from the B2G1 and the rest of my FPCs, as well as a few other items, and rang through with absolutely no problem. What a different experience from No Frills!

A lesson learned, if nothing else. In the future, I'll go to the store very early in the morning so there are no line-ups and the cashier can focus. I'll also make a point of looking up the stores' policies (limit of three coupons? *Really*?).
    This thread is currently associated with: No Frills
    Last edited by TrueNorthTreasures; Sat, Jun 22nd, 2013 at 05:53 PM.
    ticul and torontogal12 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Our local NF has a coupon limit of $10. It was many months later that they would accept more coupons, but a manager has to come down and approve it and do an over-ride. It is certainly sucky when we have to jump threw so many hoops in order to use coupons sometimes.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

No Frills near me is a max of 3 items price matched and max $10 coupons then over ride. I always go on a non busy or non cheque day and never had a problem.
    ticul and oscarandme like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Most PC stores have a $10 coupon limit, to accept coupons over this amount a manager needs to be called. I think this all came down to a cashier who did not know what she was doing who should have called a manager to help her.

I have no issues at my No Frills, even have a few favourite cashiers who get excited about my savings and are actually disappointed when I just run in for something and have no coupons.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TrueNorthTreasures View Post
    A lesson learned, if nothing else. In the future, I'll go to the store very early in the morning so there are no line-ups and the cashier can focus. I'll also make a point of looking up the stores' policies (limit of three coupons? *Really*?).
    Good thing you checked your receipt before going home.
    Hopefully, you can get 'Joanne' next time you shop there.
    Hope you get a job soon.
    oscarandme likes this.

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

Ditto!!
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Thread Information