User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: Flu & Pneumonia Shots, are you getting one?

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

So this is how the flu season has went in my household

Me: No Flu shot, No Pneumonia shot - Hit hard with the flu once. It was a few days of hell but I made it through.

DH: No flu shot, No Pneumonia shot - Has been hit with Bronchitis 2 times and Pharyngitis once.

Mom: Got flu shot - Hit with Flu once and Bronchitis 3 times

The flu was rough, I won't lie, but I still have no regrets about not getting the shot.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Flu shot contained Killed virus in it . It protects against three influenza viruses That attack in the flu season. Yes as you all said.. Is is not necessary to get the shot but there are some people who should get vaccinated who are at high risk. This includes children who are at least 6 months of age, pregnant woman, Old ages, and People having asthma, diabetes, and chronic lung disease. we should take Proper care of our health because Safety is better then Cure.
    Last edited by jameshennry; Thu, Apr 18th, 2013 at 01:18 AM.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I agree with jameshennry. As flu shot contains killed virus , it does not put adverse effect to our body but we should take Proper advice from a doctor so that we can avoid any unhealthy situation. I have read blogs on flu.ca related to the flu shot and got such a nice information. You all can also check this website.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

So this season I did not get the flu or pneumonia shot and neither did my husband. My mom got both shots about a month ago and I was at the clinic with her today (had to drag her there) and she has bronchitis. Could be a total coincidence that she contracted it around the same time she got both the flu and pneumonia shot as she did last year, but I'll keep my eye on her and see how often she has it this season. So are people getting either shot this year? I've read so much and seen so much on TV about the ineffectiveness of the shot that it only strengthens my decision to avoid them.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by TaraF View Post
    So this season I did not get the flu or pneumonia shot and neither did my husband. My mom got both shots about a month ago and I was at the clinic with her today (had to drag her there) and she has bronchitis. Could be a total coincidence that she contracted it around the same time she got both the flu and pneumonia shot as she did last year, but I'll keep my eye on her and see how often she has it this season. So are people getting either shot this year? I've read so much and seen so much on TV about the ineffectiveness of the shot that it only strengthens my decision to avoid them.
    flu shots do NOT protect against bronchitis or colds
    get your flu shot, wash your hands often, eat properly and rest.
    Natalka likes this.
    You can't change other people. You can only change yourself"
    - H. H. Getter

when we change our attitude, we change our lives

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by frugal50 View Post
    flu shots do NOT protect against bronchitis or colds
    get your flu shot, wash your hands often, eat properly and rest.
    I know the flu shot isn't for bronchitis but I find it suspiciously odd that 2 years running she has contracted bronchitis within weeks of getting the flu shot. God knows what they are putting in the flu shot or how it suppresses your immune system, even if only for a short time. Either way, I don't get the flu shot. I take my vitamins, I wash my hands properly, I am even a germ phobe to a degree. lol But I refuse to get the shot.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Strains in this years flu shot. As stated in the article they have about a 50% success rate.

http://www.healio.com/infectious-dis...14-flu-vaccine
    TaraF likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I know the flu shot isn't for bronchitis but I find it suspiciously odd that 2 years running she has contracted bronchitis within weeks of getting the flu shot. God knows what they are putting in the flu shot or how it suppresses your immune system, even if only for a short time. Either way, I don't get the flu shot. I take my vitamins, I wash my hands properly, I am even a germ phobe to a degree. lol But I refuse to get the shot.
    Flu shot boosts immune system, not suppress. Boosting process can take up to 2 weeks for complete boosting. During that two weeks, exposure to other respiratory viruses can lead to illness.

Respiratory illnesses circulate at this time of year, increasing susceptibility to such things like bronchitis.
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Sun, Nov 24th, 2013 at 12:44 PM.
    Natalka and TaraF like this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Thanks for the info Shwa Girl. I'm not anti vaccine as in I will tell people they should not get something. Everyone is different and need different things, but honestly, I'll take my chances with the flu instead of putting a vaccine in my body.

My husband reminded me that he did get the flu shot this year, because he said that the Dr went to give me a needle and I told him he just used it on my husband and that I don't do the flu shot anyways. So I am the only un-vaccinated one in the house again this year.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

with some health issues , i better get it...so, i got mine last week
    Natalka and TaraF like this.
    Thank's to DH who told me the grumpy Garfield was not at all representative of who i am

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

My husband reminded me that he did get the flu shot this year, because he said that the Dr went to give me a needle and I told him he just used it on my husband and that I don't do the flu shot anyways. So I am the only un-vaccinated one in the house again this year.
    You will still get the benefit of the flu shot. It's called herd immunity. If all the people around you (family) got the flu shot, they should not be able to give you the flu. They are protecting you, in a sense. So "yay" for your family.

BTW, herd immunity also works for babies under 6 months (they can't get the flu shot) and for seniors (they get sick easily).

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Alright folks it's that time of year again!!! So are you rushing out to get your flu and/or pneumonia shot? Saw my family Dr last week and this is how the conversation went.

Dr: So we'll see you in a month for your flu & pneumonia shot
    Me: Why?
    Dr: Why?
    Me: Yeah why? You know I don't get that crap, I'm more concerned about catching Ebola. *chuckles*
    Dr: You just finished cancer treatment...
    Me: Spare me.

So my decision, again, is to not get the shots. Personal choice. Now I'm quoting the following below for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Flu shot boosts immune system, not suppress. Boosting process can take up to 2 weeks for complete boosting. During that two weeks, exposure to other respiratory viruses can lead to illness.

Respiratory illnesses circulate at this time of year, increasing susceptibility to such things like bronchitis.
    My Oncologist informed me that cancer patients shouldn't get either shots while actively on treatment due to the fact the shots temporarily suppressing your immune system and cancer patients are already dealing with suppressed immune systems. Now, the suppression may be temporary, it may be small, but according to him it does indeed happen. Having said that, even if I wanted to get the shot (which I don't) though my treatment ended on Sept 30 I'm on immune suppressing drugs so why my family Dr would push it at me is beyond me. Meh.

Anyways, for those that do get your shot, don't forget that you can get your shot soon and you can get it from your Dr or at most pharmacy's.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

My Oncologist informed me that cancer patients shouldn't get either shots while actively on treatment due to the fact the shots temporarily suppressing your immune system and cancer patients are already dealing with suppressed immune systems. Now, the suppression may be temporary, it may be small, but according to him it does indeed happen. Having said that, even if I wanted to get the shot (which I don't) though my treatment ended on Sept 30 I'm on immune suppressing drugs so why my family Dr would push it at me is beyond me. Meh.

Anyways, for those that do get your shot, don't forget that you can get your shot soon and you can get it from your Dr or at most pharmacy's.
    You are right. Some people should not get it. Their family members should though, to make sure they don't give it to someone in the home with a supressed immune system.
    The oncology doc's word trumps the family doc, in this case.

The enteroviris D68 is around.
    Ebola is getting close.
    So you are right, for those who can get the 'flu shot, they should. It makes it easier for Emerg. department/family docs/walk-in clinics to rule out the 'flu if someone is sick with a respiratory thingy from now to April. Especially children.
    Your604 likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Shwa Girl you are right. It's the same reason why it's mandatory for health care workers to have the flu shot (I know it's still a reoccurring debate), which is to protect those with compromised immune systems.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm getting the flu shot. Likely from my doctors office or one of those free flu clinics in the community.
    TaraF and Shwa Girl like this.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information