User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: Flu & Pneumonia Shots, are you getting one?

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    H1N1 vaccine included in all Canadian influenza vaccines since the 2009-10 season. This virus is still around
    Unfortunately many people do not know this and cannot opt out. I know many people that were sick from this vaccine when it was a separate shot.
    TaraF likes this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Whether a person gets the flu shot or not I can't stress hand washing enough. I see so many people who don't wash their hands (Ick factor #1) and cover your mouth and nose when you sneeze please? I don't understand why people insist upon just openly sneezing. Like your sneezes are too dirty for your hands so you're going to share them with everyone else? Thanks buddy! I actually carry OneStep SaniWipes with me to wipe down the tables/chairs of where I'm sitting in addition to having my One Step hand sanitizer and wet naps which are all back ups to use AFTER I wash my hands. lol

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TaraF View Post
    Whether a person gets the flu shot or not I can't stress hand washing enough. I see so many people who don't wash their hands (Ick factor #1) and cover your mouth and nose when you sneeze please? I don't understand why people insist upon just openly sneezing. Like your sneezes are too dirty for your hands so you're going to share them with everyone else? Thanks buddy! I actually carry OneStep SaniWipes with me to wipe down the tables/chairs of where I'm sitting in addition to having my One Step hand sanitizer and wet naps which are all back ups to use AFTER I wash my hands. lol
    Yes.
    Sneeze into your sleeve/elbow or tissue.
    Clean hands if sneezing into tissue.
    Discard tissue - don't reuse.
    toban likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    Unfortunately many people do not know this and cannot opt out. I know many people that were sick from this vaccine when it was a separate shot.
    they are looking at the benefits for millions rather than benefits for a few
    a tough decision
    improvements in formulation have been made since 2009

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Something that really bothers me is when people cough or sneeze into their hands and then don`t wash them before touching everything. Is it that difficult to cough or sneeze into your elbow or a tissue?
    Natalka and Shwa Girl like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TaraF View Post
    Myself, I'm against sanitizers, my family never uses any of these products, not wipes or liquids, and we don't use antibacterial cleaners either. I never even use the wipes provided in the grocery store to wipe my cart handle. My personal belief is that these products kill the less potent versions of viruses, leaving the big ones to take over and become resistant to what we have to fight them. The real answer is, wash your hands; don't just sprinkle a bit of water on them after you're in the bathroom or get off the bus, WASH them with soap and water. Feeling sneezy? Sneeze into your elbow. And when you do get sick? Don't race into your doc's office DEMANDING antibiotics to solve your problem. Prescribing of these for sickness that doesn't require it is what makes superbugs, viruses that are resistant to our current arsenal of antibiotics.
    Natalka, TaraF and Crochetlady like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    My personal belief is that these products kill the less potent versions of viruses, leaving the big ones to take over and become resistant to what we have to fight them.
    alcohol and antibiotics work differently
    antibiotics, when not used properly can result in resistant bacteria

alcohol, when used properly breaks the wall of the cell opening the contents so the bacteria cannot survive

soaps engulfs the bacteria and virus and water removes the bacteria from the skin. Soap and water may or may not kill

alcohol is used mostly when soap and water is not easily available

both alcohol and soap are beneficial
    TaraF likes this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Zonny I'm a HUGE handwasher, I think it may actually be to the point of being obsessive compulsive on it. lol I like the wipes to wipe the tables down (because people are gross and it's usually sticky anyways) and I like to wipe carts down before I touch them (still not touching my face after I touch the cart) I don't use the sanitation stuff as a "security blanket or to give me a false sense of security by any means, but I do use it for back up. I can't agree with you more on the handwashing!

I went to Tim Hortons with my husband the other day, all I ordered was a bottle of water for me and a coffee and sandwich for him, but I touched money and the chair when I put my coat down and doors to go in so I wanted to wash my hands before I sat down. See? germ-phobe. So I went to the bathroom and there was just a tinnnny amount of soap left. *sighs* but I figured I'd use it, I'm not eating, I'd wash my hands as best I could and then use a one step wipe. So I did. To my chagrin the lady in a stall came out and just dampened her hands quickly under the taps without soap, as I'm drying my hands under the dryer she went to a stall to grab TP to dry her hands. She drys them and drops said TP on the foor, dragging her hands along the dirty floor to pick it up she discards it in the bin and leaves. Umm ewww? And of course I had to get out that door to leave. People are disgusting. Hand washing is my HUGE pet peeve. I hightailed it out to the counter to tell them they were out of soap in the ladies room. lol
    Last edited by TaraF; Sun, Oct 12th, 2014 at 08:52 PM.
    Crochetlady, Zonny and Lynn49 like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Thank you to everyone who said they get the flu shot.

To the people who don't and don't have a good reason (ie, compromised immune system) - Haven't you ever heard of "Herd Immunity"? You don't get the flu shot for yourself, you get it for the people who can't and if they get the flu, it might kill them. When I was on chemo, my immune system was compromised so I couldn't get the flu shot. And, if I had caught the flu, it may have killed me.

And to those who are concerned about the make-up of vaccines, you should be more concerned about the daily stuff you expose yourself to. You'd be surprised about all the carcinogens (ie, cancer causing substances) that you're exposed to but have no idea. Vaccines are filtered after creation and have little trace of the original substances that comprise its make-up.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread Information