User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: A year with no salary :( Advice?

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by natynat View Post
    I'm thinking of investing in a freezer so that when meat is on sale I can stock up. I bought ground pork at 99c/lb yesterday. So a huge pack of it only cost me $3.

Just an update to this post. My grandma will be helping me out financially, so will both my and my boyfriend's parents. I'll be getting a loan from school and from the government, and hopefully another bursary. I may look into applying for a scolarship.

Other than that, I'm very stocked up on shampoo and body wash, as well as laundry detergents. I won't have to buy any of that! I'll try to work full time (depends on the hours work gives me) during the summer and put some away for the school year. Then there's going to be the winter break where I can work more hours. The internship in the spring of 2014 won't be the full semester since I'll be doing half semester courses. I think I will be fine. And, of course, I will use your advice. What a great community this is
    I know most people are into the idea of keeping meat or other food items in the freezer, but I am just wondering has anyone ever consider the cost of electricity that is used by the freezer to keep these food items during the period of storage? I have never track the eletricity cost and compare to see if I acutally save money at the end, but I always have this idea on the back of my head that it costs to store these frozen items.
    GET $5 OFF Herbal and Nutritional Items Coupon Code: XIF785 http://www.iherb.com Low shipping charges to Canada Save about 30-40% Off retail prices. 14,000+Brand-Name Herbal & Nutritional Items Pay No TAX on items!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by freefreefree View Post
    Open an ingdirect account and get $50 cash and then do some referals and you get a $100 or $200 or more to your account and plus your friends will Thank You (my friends were very happy when they got the cash in their account) for finding them cash. I got some cash here from refering my friends. Also, some banks offer bonus when you open ancccount with them and then have some kind of direct deposit or automated payment, and they will reward you $150 or so after usually 3moths. I got once $200 from TD for simply save (some kind of saving program, u don't really need to have much cash to do that) and $150 from Scotia Bank, and $150 from TD, and $100 from ING Direct. So, do the math, $50+$200+$150+$150+$100=$650. So, there all you have to do is some paper work and talking, no hours. and the best of luck.
    Wow. quite a bit of cash there.
    GET $5 OFF Herbal and Nutritional Items Coupon Code: XIF785 http://www.iherb.com Low shipping charges to Canada Save about 30-40% Off retail prices. 14,000+Brand-Name Herbal & Nutritional Items Pay No TAX on items!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

A year with no salary

Really?
    It is unthinkable for me

Last edited by happiness20m10; Sat, Dec 8th, 2012 at 02:12 AM.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Freestuffrighthere View Post
    I know most people are into the idea of keeping meat or other food items in the freezer, but I am just wondering has anyone ever consider the cost of electricity that is used by the freezer to keep these food items during the period of storage? I have never track the eletricity cost and compare to see if I acutally save money at the end, but I always have this idea on the back of my head that it costs to store these frozen items.
    It will cost a bit to run a freezer but really the cost is VERY minimal. I have two large 20+ year old freezers and the cost to run both of them is about .50 per day at the very most. We save a huge amount of money by using these freezers b/c I do all our baking (including bread) and we have a huge garden so beans/carrots/corn etc are frozen. When the Minute Maid juice was on sale for next to nothing (with those coupons last year), I bought cases of these that will last us a year. That in itself has paid for our cost to run the freezers for the entire year.

I should add that we bought both of these freezers used for a total of $125.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post
    It will cost a bit to run a freezer but really the cost is VERY minimal. I have two large 20+ year old freezers and the cost to run both of them is about .50 per day at the very most. We save a huge amount of money by using these freezers b/c I do all our baking (including bread) and we have a huge garden so beans/carrots/corn etc are frozen. When the Minute Maid juice was on sale for next to nothing (with those coupons last year), I bought cases of these that will last us a year. That in itself has paid for our cost to run the freezers for the entire year.

I should add that we bought both of these freezers used for a total of $125.
    Newer freezers should be alot more efficient - I read 15 year old fridges use double the energy as today's appliances.

Reading these brought back many memories of my student life back in the early 80s - living the poor life. Let me say it has gotten alot better mainly thanks to getting our excellent educations. And working for minimum wage, doing dull and sometimes physical jobs taught me to really appreciate what I now have.

My one regret (because I started University at 17) was never waitressing - I think a job with tips would have done wonders.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information