User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: A year with no salary :( Advice?

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by natynat View Post
    Thank you for the reply. It actually sucks that you know what I'm going through lol....Hang in there!
    Just know you aren't alone hun. In the end it will be worth it. I've been out for about a year now, it is nice to be making money instead of getting more debt.

Even if you do take out loans, just try to continue to live as you have been, frugally to get them paid down once you are working. I have a mini heart attack every time I look at my student loan debt, almost 6 figures between me and my spouse. I did the 4 years masters (3 years schooling and 1 year internship) in 5 years. My debt works out to be about $6000-6500 per year of schooling, so at least I can look at it and see that it was basically tuition and books.
    Natalka likes this.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by matrix82 View Post
    Just know you aren't alone hun. In the end it will be worth it. I've been out for about a year now, it is nice to be making money instead of getting more debt.

Even if you do take out loans, just try to continue to live as you have been, frugally to get them paid down once you are working. I have a mini heart attack every time I look at my student loan debt, almost 6 figures between me and my spouse. I did the 4 years masters (3 years schooling and 1 year internship) in 5 years. My debt works out to be about $6000-6500 per year of schooling, so at least I can look at it and see that it was basically tuition and books.
    OH wow....that's crazy. My debt isn't too bad I guess...now that I see your numbers I will continue to save money and use coupons until my debt is paid off...and then most likely even when I work. I mean...who doesn't like free and super cheap things? Thank you for the support
    Complete quick surveys and cash out at every $20. Receive a cheque, deposit it into your bank. That easy! https://legerweb.com/2Q7V3

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Lots of great advice and it will be hard but worth it. I went back for my masters at 28. DH and I had just bought our home when I was accepted. I worked at much as possible and did weekend overnight shifts as a PSW for years even after I graduated to kill the debt. Once I graduated I found a full time job in my field and with the extra money as a part time PSW we were able to catch up as we did have to use savings a credit to finsh.
    17 yrs later we have just paid off our mortgage and have two sons 12 &9. The hardest part was delaying kids until the debt was more manageable. But in the end it all worked out
    matrix82, Natalka and natynat like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    Lots of great advice and it will be hard but worth it. I went back for my masters at 28. DH and I had just bought our home when I was accepted. I worked at much as possible and did weekend overnight shifts as a PSW for years even after I graduated to kill the debt. Once I graduated I found a full time job in my field and with the extra money as a part time PSW we were able to catch up as we did have to use savings a credit to finsh.
    17 yrs later we have just paid off our mortgage and have two sons 12 &9. The hardest part was delaying kids until the debt was more manageable. But in the end it all worked out
    Sounds like a great ending! I'm happy for you! 28 is about the age that I will want to go back to school to get another degree (teachers really don't make enough)...either a master's or law (can't get into law without a different bachelor). At least I'll be making more than $10 when I go back to school for the 2nd time lol.
    matrix82 and lilo0003 like this.
    Complete quick surveys and cash out at every $20. Receive a cheque, deposit it into your bank. That easy! https://legerweb.com/2Q7V3

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

You probably don't want to hear this opinion. But why do you want to go a year with no salary, in order to get what you describe as 'crappy salary'? I understand that you must really want to be a teacher, it's perhaps a dream of yours. But you really have to weigh what you're going to get in the end against what you have to do/what debt you have to go into to get it. I know too many people who followed a dream that just doesn't pay enough to pay off what it took to get it.
    GeorgiaK likes this.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    You probably don't want to hear this opinion. But why do you want to go a year with no salary, in order to get what you describe as 'crappy salary'? I understand that you must really want to be a teacher, it's perhaps a dream of yours. But you really have to weigh what you're going to get in the end against what you have to do/what debt you have to go into to get it. I know too many people who followed a dream that just doesn't pay enough to pay off what it took to get it.
    Ouch!

I guess the answer to that would be because I don't see myself doing a 9-5 job looking at a computer screen, doing spread sheets, or counting someone else's money. I was always taught to follow my dreams and not just go in to work for a paycheck. I also know a lot of people who went to law school and business management and other professions that pay well...and quit those jobs because they were not passionate about them.

Yes...teaching is a crappy pay...but it's rewarding. I'm sure most teachers will be able to tell you that. My goal is most likely to get a Master's and teach English in college...I will still be teaching, but my pay will be much better. Plus..when I do have children, I'll have the benefit of having my summers, Christmas, and March breaks with them. What other jobs get you that?
    teverett likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Nat, I would say, if you're able to, start growing a bit of produce, even inside (tomatoes, lettuce, etc.). Check Freecycle and/or Kijiji/Craigslist for a cheap deep freezer and use it to stock up whenever you can on staples. Deal with not buying clothes for a year, tell anyone who would be getting you presents for anything that you'd like GCs to a grocery store, or the SAQ (a girl needs a glass of wine once in a while!) or whatever. If you're able to take advantage of some MIRs now, do so, and hold on to the GCs you get back. When you have an extra $20, maybe prepay some hydro or whatever - it all adds up.

I think you're going to be just fine - the fact that you're planning now, instead of panicking later, speaks volumes.
    Natalka and Angela273 like this.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by screamy View Post
    I think you're going to be just fine - the fact that you're planning now, instead of panicking later, speaks volumes.
    Thank you for your advice I have been thinking of buying a freezer but I have NOO space here...and my frige is tiny. The produce...I think I will do that. I actually wanted to but my boyfriend said no...but what does he know lol. My mom does have a big garden though, and when I see her in the summer she always gives me cucumbers, tomatoes, and herbs She also cans/preserves them and gives me some for the winter

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Decided to just shut up.
    Last edited by Zonny; Sun, Oct 28th, 2012 at 08:28 AM.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

So many here have given you awesome advice, and the benefit of their experience. Of course, it varies in individual circumstances, and province to province - living expenses, job market prospects, etc.

Earning 50k a year isn't really 'crappy' pay, either. Plus it goes up with experience and further education as well.

I had to move away to go to university, so that was more expensive. However, had I had the option, I surely would have lived with my parents. I think that is something you should seriously consider, if you could possibly do it at all. (True love will wait...)

It took me 10 years to pay off my students loan - through those years I still got married, bought a new car, and we had a child. We lived extremely frugally. Well, we still do!

I totally understand wanting to be a teacher - for me, it was a lifelong dream as well. I saw it as a vocation, not just a job.

Wishing you the best of luck!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

what kind of salary do teachers get, i thought they did ok?

tutoring sounds like a good way to get some cash- you can control the number of hours and when around your busy schedule- keep up the hard work!
    matrix82 and natynat like this.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

What are the job prospects like in your area? Are you sure you'll be able to find a position in that field once your finished schooling? I say this because I personally know people who went through teachers college and then couldn't find a position. (I live in the Ottawa area)
    natynat likes this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I looked up the money thing last night, and depending on the education (whether you do a 3year university degree before a 1year teaching degree, versus 4year degree and 2year teaching degree) the range is here. http://resource.educationcanada.com/salaries.html/ so from what natynat says she'll be in the range of $36 - $56k (though I think these numbers might be slightly old). I think people sometimes forget how, in a double income situation that means, assuming your bf is making similar, that's 80-100k per year, on the low end 70k. I teach at the university level, after nine years of university (4 year BSc and 5 year PhD), and I make less than 30k per year (for part-time academics, meaning I am not tenured in. If I was and doing the same thing, I'd make 50-60k starting). This is temporary for me, but just be aware of that for teaching at a university... Unless you get a tenure track position, it is generally peanuts.

As for the original question: I would highly suggest tutoring which can easily be an evening/weekend job for an hour or two here and there. Here I charge $25/hr, or $20 if there are a lot of sessions with that person. It was always my fun money because you can't really completely count on it since people do cancel, etc. but I used to make $100-200/week with that. If you need something more concrete, then you need a "real" job. Also, is it possible to get a Student Line of Credit for that time? Not the greatest idea, but it helped me in the past few years when things got tight (assuming you are disciplined with it and don't use it as a 10k account to buy coffee/clothes ) - you'd need a co-signer though. I'd also suggest a small (upright) freezer to start being able to work on cutting the food section of your guys budget. Can you increase your hours a little bit per week now to save a little nest egg? You said you work 20 hr/week... Even if you worked an extra 5hr shift, then you could set that aside for next year. Or start tutoring now if possible and set that aside separate from your 20 hr/week.

Sorry that is all I have... Good luck. It's only one year! Start skimping now so you're used to it when it's mandatory and then you'll have a little extra as well. Oh, and there are scholarships out there, not bursaries that people just don't apply to. I got one for $2000 that I swear I was the only person to apply. They don't all need to be bursaries.
    Last edited by alicia; Sun, Oct 28th, 2012 at 11:01 AM. Reason: typo
    Natalka and lilo0003 like this.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    So many here have given you awesome advice, and the benefit of their experience. Of course, it varies in individual circumstances, and province to province - living expenses, job market prospects, etc.

Earning 50k a year isn't really 'crappy' pay, either. Plus it goes up with experience and further education as well.

I had to move away to go to university, so that was more expensive. However, had I had the option, I surely would have lived with my parents. I think that is something you should seriously consider, if you could possibly do it at all. (True love will wait...)

It took me 10 years to pay off my students loan - through those years I still got married, bought a new car, and we had a child. We lived extremely frugally. Well, we still do!

I totally understand wanting to be a teacher - for me, it was a lifelong dream as well. I saw it as a vocation, not just a job.

Wishing you the best of luck!
    My mom lives in the suburbs. Although it's 20 minutes away from me, that's 40 minutes to get to the nearest subway station, and if there's traffic that takes me about 2 hours. I had a very hard time to go to school while living with her because of the traveling and therefore the gas costs. Plus...I understand her boyfriend's joy when I moved out lol. Afterall, I'm not his child and yet he has to pay for my share of water, electricity, food etc. It's just better for everyone if I live on my own. And don't get me wrong...i LOVE it...it's just going to be tough next year Thank you for the advice, I wanted to give you a reputation but it doesn't let me because I've already done it before lol.
    Natalka and hok2 like this.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kasha100 View Post
    what kind of salary do teachers get, i thought they did ok?

tutoring sounds like a good way to get some cash- you can control the number of hours and when around your busy schedule- keep up the hard work!
    Start off with roughly $40 000. I will for sure try to do some tutoring. Or at least work Friday nights and Saturday mornings. That way I'll do 14-16 hours. I do 20 now and we're doing ok...Thank you!
    matrix82 and hok2 like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information