Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By BC Gal
  • 1 Post By Natalka
  • 1 Post By thriftygranny

Thread: Whole Pork Loin, Chicken, and Toupie Style Smoked Ham question

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

I have a few questions and am hoping that some talented cooks can help me out....

Whole Pork Loin:
    I saw these on for $1.99 per pound - these are massive 10 pound pork loins. The butcher won't cut these up into smaller sizes for me because of the price, so I'm thinking of doing it myself. Has anyone done this? Do I just freeze it for a bit first and then cut up?

Toupie Style Smoked Ham:
    I noticed these on for $1.99 per pound and am thinking of buying one, roasting it, and chopping/slicing up for lunch meats and other meals. Any thoughts on this? Are these uncooked hams and how do you roast this? Marinade first?

Chicken Breasts:
    I'm thinking of roasting a bunch of the larger ones and then slicing for lunch meat. Would you marinade? Anyone?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

I bought a giant tenderloin and broke it down into smaller tenderloins, a roast, and some pieces for stew or sweet n sour pork. Definitely I would do it again for the right price, especially since it allowed me to cut pieces to the exact size and shape I wanted.

For the chicken...if it is skinless, boneless chicken breasts, I suggest poaching them in chicken broth. It keeps them moist and then you also have a great broth for soup! Just be careful not to overcook or it can get rubbery.

As for the ham...I don't know. The package should let you know if it is uncooked by the amount of time you need to cook it. I prefer uncooked hams mostly because they are real chunks of meat not pieces of meat formed together like a lot of the smaller, pre-cooked hams are.

Hope that helps and good luck!
    Crochetlady likes this.
    Join Beyond the Rack here and get a $10 credit!

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

anyone else?

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BC Gal View Post
    I bought a giant tenderloin and broke it down into smaller tenderloins, a roast, and some pieces for stew or sweet n sour pork. Definitely I would do it again for the right price, especially since it allowed me to cut pieces to the exact size and shape I wanted.

For the chicken...if it is skinless, boneless chicken breasts, I suggest poaching them in chicken broth. It keeps them moist and then you also have a great broth for soup! Just be careful not to overcook or it can get rubbery.

As for the ham...I don't know. The package should let you know if it is uncooked by the amount of time you need to cook it. I prefer uncooked hams mostly because they are real chunks of meat not pieces of meat formed together like a lot of the smaller, pre-cooked hams are.

Hope that helps and good luck!
    Thanks a bunch for your reply. Because I would want to cook the chicken breasts for lunch meat, I'm thinking of marinating and then roasting in the oven for better flavour.

As for the ham, I guess I'll have to hunt around for an uncooked ham - I just want something without too much int he way of added ingredients...

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Whole pork loin - I haven't bought the whole ever, because here pork loin chops go on sale quite frequently, and once in a while tenderloin does too - roast less frequently, but often enough for us to have some to freeze.
    When pork roasts are cheap in larger packs, usually two big ones, we cut those up to have for a variety of meals and uses.

The ham you mention - that's a preformed, precooked ham - not my fave, but I do buy it once in a while when they are cheap. I don't like the meat after it's frozen, it's quite watery. It's also usually very salty.
    Much better is to get a 'real' ham, roast it, then there's more variety with what you can do for meals, etc.

As for chicken breasts, sure if you can get them cheaply enough - my son loves chicken sammies for lunches (so do I!). I buy only the bone-in ones when they are on sale; I don't marinate them, just spice them up and roast them. They stay moist if you put water in the roaster and cover when roasting them. I also slice extra and freeze in ziplocks for future lunches. Even the bits - to make chicken salad sandwiches.

Slices of pork roast are also great for sandwiches - that's actually my son's fave.
    Crochetlady likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I do the pork loins often. i usually cut a whole one into 2-3 roasts. This is a very lean cut so I often will marinate them to keep the moisture in.You don't have to freeze before you cut them into roasts but I would partially freeze if you are doing chops so you can get the thickness you want.

I f the toupe ham is a great price i would buy it. I always soak a precooked boneless ham in ginger-ale overnight before cooking, I read years ago that this draws the salt out and I find it gives a nice flavor and keeps the moisture in. Natalka is right, frozen cooked ham is watery! However I will freeze leftovers to be used in frittatas or omelets or chopped up for casseroles, split pea soup etc.

I precook chicken breast often to freeze, if using boneless I brown them to seal in the moisture and then finish them off in the oven.No marinating required.I'm with Natalka on the bone in breasts they they have a much nicer flavor and are moister, I always stock up when they are a great price.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by thriftygranny; Sun, Mar 3rd, 2013 at 08:50 AM.
    Crochetlady likes this.

Thread Information