User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By goodkarmacan

Thread: Why does our car seat selection suck so bad?

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I want to get Sam a FF/booster seat combo for Christmas but she's really attached to the fact that her current seat is pink. Is it even possible to find a pink one in Canada? All I can find are the $200+ ones that do RF/FF/Booster and I have no use for a seat that rear faces anymore. Why do baby companies insist on making 16 million pink seats for the US market but none for us?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

LOL, I've never even seen pink ones - most families I know keep to neutrals because of using the seats with different kids.

Or you could get a neutral, and get a cute pink cover for it.

There must be some US stores which will ship to Canada, as well.

What I found

(sorry, this link goes automatically to my computer's cookie, so it's my home city - check with your own)
    http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/turboboo...Box=&addFacet=

http://www.amazon.ca/Diono-Monterey-...pr_product_top
    http://kaczkids.com/Diono-Monterey-Booster-Pink

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I need one that harnesses and then turns into the booster I can find straight boosters and find the RF/FF ones both in pink but for some reason as soon as you hit the harness to booster category everything turns brown and grey. I've debated crossing the border to get her one but technically we're not supposed to because those seats are not approved by Transport Canada.

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

I would buy a carseat cover in pink and just put it on whatever seat you do find. I have seen carseat covers online; depending on the make/model you get, there should be something to fit. I just did a quick google search and found this one on ebay; I'd imagine there are lots more out there with a little research

Trading Score
    133 (100%)

A cover might be your way to go, unless you want to get a ff seat now and a booster later. Definitely don't bring one over from the US, you're right that they're not approved by Transport Canada and therefore most definitely not worth the risk!

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

There's one 3-stage seat (rear-facing, forward-facing and booster) on sale at Canadian Tire, starting today, that is pink and brown....
    The photos on the CT website are in flash, so I can't post them here, but here's the link for you:
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

As an added bonus, tomorrow's the day with bonus CT$ when you use the scratch card!

We are planning on buying the same seat in black and grey for my LO on the way.

Edit: the price is $165, down from $220 regular
    Last edited by glowworm2k; Fri, Nov 16th, 2012 at 08:08 AM.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

When I was pregnant with DD I bought her stroller set in the US. I had no idea until DH went to get the seat inspected (that it was put in right) that it was techinically illegal in Canada. The fine is pretty steep if you are caught with a US carseat.

Luckily for us I bought it at WM and they just exchanged the US base with the Canadian one (I got to keep all the fabric and switch it over to the new seat).

I do agree though, the US has more variety and cuter designs. I know other users have suggested carseat covers, there's a lot of variety for them plus it's easy to take them off and wash them! Worth looking into.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

While it is a bit pricy, the Britax Frontier comes in pink(we bought a bright pink one but I believe they have two girly seat colour options) and having high height/weight limits means it will last just about any child until they no longer need to be boostered at all, so IMO well worth the cost. This of course only if you wish to practice extended harnessing/use of high back booster. We bought it from amazon.ca recently, it was on sale for $250.
    sarajen likes this.

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Someone found me a purple and grey one at CT, that's going to have to be girly enough for her.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I'd be less upset about the potential for fines than the safety factor. I've read that the standards for car seats are more rigorous here than south of the border. Funny, my DS never did care much about his car seat!

Thread Information