User Tag List

Page 29 of 67 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast
Like Tree2781Likes

Thread: Canning Pics, Feel free to post yours!

Trading Score
    120 (100%)

I still have so many apples, and i'm leaving for mexico on sunday... I should make more apple sauce but I sooo don't have the courage to can anymore AND clean before we leave and prepare .. urgh
    cheekysaver likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by iggysbabysitter View Post
    I did 7 quarts of the eye of round (@$1.88/lb, makes 2 meals per jar) last night, and 5 pints of pork loin this morning, in the pressure canner I tried my canned turkey from last week in hamburger helper... with the brine I soaked the turkey in, then the 1/2 tsp salt for the jar, and all the salt in the HH... well that was close to inedible No more using home canned salted meats for HH... I'll try it with the less salted pork or beef next week. Hubby has taken to drinking his water, juice and pop from mason jars :/
    Hahaha... I drink hot tea out of mason jars... it keeps my tea warmer longer.
    Swagbucks, Earn 30 - $50 a month in surveys plus cash backs on your spending. You have to work at it, but it is WORTH it and it can help you buy some Christmas presents for free with Amazon gift cards or paypal payments. Referral link http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/cheekysaver

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tasha313 View Post
    I still have so many apples, and i'm leaving for mexico on sunday... I should make more apple sauce but I sooo don't have the courage to can anymore AND clean before we leave and prepare .. urgh
    Freeze them... then can them up when you can deal with it. (it is no biggy if they go mushy when your making apple sauce anyway!
    Angela273 and coley3 like this.
    Swagbucks, Earn 30 - $50 a month in surveys plus cash backs on your spending. You have to work at it, but it is WORTH it and it can help you buy some Christmas presents for free with Amazon gift cards or paypal payments. Referral link http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/cheekysaver

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    117 (100%)

wow !!!! those look AMAZING !!! I don't can but I have a million mason jars in every sizes you could possibly think of !!!! my husband said "stop it with the jars already" lol
    cheekysaver likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Jars are a great place to start when it comes to canning! There is a great deal you can do with a water bath canner.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If you're interested in winning some canning gear from Bernardin, they have a new contest happening right now on their facebook page ... the grand prize is $500 in their products. Seems pretty easy!
    cheekysaver likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I'm in the middle of pressure canning 14 pints of ground beef (browned, then canned), and then tonight I'll do 7 quarts of broth

putting the kettle on.. sweetproserpina's Avatar
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

RCSS Grimsby has lids on clearance rack for 50% off. Got 6 boxes yesterday!
    cheekysaver likes this.
    I love free books! Earn points at Swagbucks and get great Amazon GCs or Paypal $$.
    RLF: Goldfish!!, Butter, Astro Yogurt, Triscuit Thincrisps...

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by iggysbabysitter View Post
    I'm in the middle of pressure canning 14 pints of ground beef (browned, then canned), and then tonight I'll do 7 quarts of broth
    That is how I do it too... it works well in taco's, chili and spaghetti. The texture is a little different then fresh but it is still good. The best part is... it is precooked with no defrost time. It substantially speeds up a meal prep time.
    Angela273 likes this.

Each Day is a Blessing... Snow In Summer's Avatar
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

I didn’t know where to post this under the forums but since it’s preserving food I’m placing here. Move me mod’s if you feel the need to do so ...

I was watching Doomsday Peppers on the Discovery channel by flute last week. All off a sudden I was taking notes as … eggs could last for a year and cheese for 25 years!!!

Hello, I wanted to learn more about this … so I started surfing and low and behold the were absolutely right!!! I have now been enlighten.

Eggs:
    http://www.preparednesspro.com/safely-preserving-eggs

Cheese:
    http://www.preparednesspro.com/chees...-save-us-all-2
    Last edited by Snow In Summer; Sat, Dec 14th, 2013 at 11:36 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    137 (100%)

I've never canned before, but this thread is brilliant. My Mom used to can every year, and my sister does. I want to make jam for Christmas. Is this too much of a pipe dream folks?!? Or can I lean to make jam in 10 days
    cheekysaver likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda83 View Post
    I've never canned before, but this thread is brilliant. My Mom used to can every year, and my sister does. I want to make jam for Christmas. Is this too much of a pipe dream folks?!? Or can I lean to make jam in 10 days
    You can make jam in hours and it will last up to 3 years if it is prepared and stored correctly.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Snow In Summer View Post
    I didn’t know where to post this under the forums but since it’s preserving food I’m placing here. Move me mod’s if you feel the need to do so ...

I was watching Doomsday Peppers on the Discovery channel by flute last week. All off a sudden I was taking notes as … eggs could last for a year and cheese for 25 years!!!

Hello, I wanted to learn more about this … so I started surfing and low and behold the were absolutely right!!! I have now been enlighten.

Eggs:
    http://www.preparednesspro.com/safely-preserving-eggs

Cheese:
    http://www.preparednesspro.com/chees...-save-us-all-2
    Any way we can learn to preserve food is a good thing.

As for eggs, I have looked into this, and many on youtube have tested this process and the max shelf life in normal conditions unrefrigerated is around 5 months with the mineral oil. Once eggs are coated in the mineral oil they are no longer good for whipping. Eggs stored in the fridge without oil lasted 9 months easily.. just in the cartons. If you were concerned about a doomsday issue i recommend storing the oil on hand ... it is good for cutting boards anyway!
    (I am not a doomsday prepper I just like to have a years supply of as much as possible to have flux in my budget in case of emergency's... because stuff happens in life and every year it has bailed me out of unforeseeable expense issues that were beyond my control.)

As for cheese... I have tried this waxing and if you like the 2 and 3 year old cheddars you will love this. In about 8 months the cheddar is extremely sharp and much dryer then a standard store cheese. If your making a broccoli and cheese soup or a cheddar sauce you use much less of this stuff.

Some people have taken to canning cheese and cream as well... I will put a vid below for you... it is by a highly reputable prepper who has been canning for well over 20 years. I always recommend researching those who have already put these things into practice before trying them.

Last edited by cheekysaver; Sun, Dec 15th, 2013 at 07:37 AM. Reason: more info

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    137 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysaver View Post
    You can make jam in hours and it will last up to 3 years if it is prepared and stored correctly.
    Awesome! That's what I kinda figured Thanks!!!
    cheekysaver likes this.

Page 29 of 67 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast

Thread Information