User Tag List

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

We have 2 boys 2.5 years and 3 months old and we're planning to take our first "big" vacation with them with the air miles we have saved up. They will be 3 and almost 1 year when we go.

I've been researching and considering either going to Honolulu or taking a cruise. I've heard Royal Caribbean is great for kids, but I've also heard Hawaii is quite fun too for little ones.

Can anyone give any advice or pros and cons for either trip choice?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Ive never been to Hawaii but I have been on a couple of cruises before although not on 'family' orientated ones. From what ive heard from people who have however I think a lot comes down to what type of people you and your spouse are as to which you choose.

Cruises especially the all inclusive style ones can be awesome for familys especially ones geared at the familys rather than what I would call the 'silver threads club' style of cruising. Cruising is great if youre the kind of people who like to kick back and eat as most cruise ships have an insane number of restuarants catering to almost every type of cuisine you can think of. For the kids there will be the swimming pools , cinema, kids shows, and most places now seem to provide some kind of kids club where you and your partner can drop off the kids so you get alone time too.

You are some what of a captive on a cruise ship however and surprisingly even on the huge ones that you see today you can feel a bit trapped after a while. So i would make sure whatever ship you go on, there are plenty of activites available for your childrens age range , otherwise after a few days you might be ready to 'abandon ship'.

I think if it was me I'd probably lean towards going to Hawaii and im not really a sun worshiper beach type person (with the red hair I look like a lobster in less than an hour of esposed sunshine). Most of the family resorts offer the same facilities as you would on the cruise ship such as the pools , kids clubs, and kids activities and most of the tourist resorts are close to cinemas and theatres if you want that kind of entertainment. But with being on terra firma if you have enough of the toursity stuff you can always hire a car and explore the island and get a bit of culture too which is good for kids even as young as yours are.

Im sure whatever you choose you'll have a great time so just do some research, make sure the kids are going to have enough to do so that you and your spouse can enjoy the trip and relax some too.
    http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/2010/canuckred.jpg

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

hawaii is supposed to be really expensive, and really touristy. If you like the idea of the south pacific try tahiti if you like things to be less touristy.
    southeast asia is great for vacationing too. very tropical and inexpensive.
    cruises sound a little more hectic, all the stopping and re-boarding. Maybe being based in one spot like in a resort in hawaii will allow you more of a peaceful vacation. do everything at your own pace. might be helpful with the 2 little kitty-cats you have.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I heard hawaii is super expensive, but if you do go say hi to dog for me

I heard the turks island is nice, they have that disney world theme place. My friend went there and stayed at beaches I think.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

I guess the reason why we're leaning towards Hawaii is because there won't be a language barrier and I figure it would be pretty safe for a first hot holiday with kids. Especially when it comes to things like carseats, foods, etc... So something touristy doesn't bother us.

Researched cruises... we would still have to pay for both our boys! 2.5 and 3 months! It's a lower rate, but I cannot dish out over $500 per child when only one would be eating (and very little)! They were only about $200 less than we were! The cruise lines justify it by saying that they provide loads of activities for the kids, but our oldest wouldn't be able to participate in too many because he's too young. Maybe when our boys are teenagers and they're at the age where they'll eat twice as much as we do!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I don't have any kids, but I've been to both Hawaii and cruises a few times.

Yes, as you mentioned you would be paying adult fares for both your kids on the cruise. You would also be paying full gratuities as well ($10/day per person). There won't be a language barrier as English is what's spoken aboard and on most of the Caribbean islands.

Hawaii is expensive, but there are ways to control costs. By renting a condo w/kitchen, you can keep food expenses low by cooking some meals. Travelling off season is a good way to find reasonable accommodations (use the Entertainment discount book). The trade winds keep the place cool at night, so in most cases, A/C is not necessary.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I vote Disney World- the best family holiday ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ... sorry just had to throw that in. I'm jealous. I want to go on a holiday too.

eri
    Female
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Disneyworld is awesome..I went in 1987 but I will be going again shortly We went to Eurodisney too (is that what it is still called?)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Air Canada has a 50% off sale today only on flights to Hawaii.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/offers/a...ntl_may08.html

Aloha!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

I'd do Hawaii now while your kids are still little and wait to go on a cruise when the kids are older and can take greater advantage of all the ammenities, food and kids activity programs that are offered on a cruise ship.

We loved Hawaii when we went (no kids), and always felt totally safe. It's a great place and people are all so friendly there!

Thread Information