User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Canada Post Delivery Notice Question

Rocky! Rocky! Rah Rah Rah c_mcarthur's Avatar
    Trading Score
    102 (100%)

So just to clear things up this is NOT a rant, lol
    I received a delivery notice pickup yesterday because I guess my mail carriers changed again I was so used to getting my mail at 1030 am every day
    Anyway they dropped off the notice at 1:30pm.
    On the card it says I can't pick it up until the next day past 1pm.
    Now I can't even pick it up today because I work at 1, so now I can't pick it up until wednesday.

Now my question is why do they make you wait a full day before you can pick up your parcel? Why can't we pick it up past 5pm (like the other option on the card says) the same day?

and I've already called before asking if it was dropped off at the post office and they always say no, you have to come past 1pm.

anyone who works with Canada post know?
    This thread is currently associated with: Canada Post, Guess

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    40 (100%)

I don't work for Canada post, but I'm guessing that they need time to finish delivering the post and then bring it to the correct location. When the post arrives at the location on the card they still need to process it. I'm assuming that it takes time to do this, especially in busier locations. If the mail carrier delivers to a large area, they might have to drop off undelivered parcels to many locations, which would also take time to do. This is just my assumption though and could be all wrong.
    blueeyetea likes this.

Trading Score
    102 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RebeccaRYoung View Post
    I don't work for Canada post, but I'm guessing that they need time to finish delivering the post and then bring it to the correct location. When the post arrives at the location on the card they still need to process it. I'm assuming that it takes time to do this, especially in busier locations. If the mail carrier delivers to a large area, they might have to drop off undelivered parcels to many locations, which would also take time to do. This is just my assumption though and could be all wrong.
    so if thats the case, im wondering where does my package go inbetween attempted delivery and dropped off by 1pm next day?

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Walkonby can answer this the best, but it's because the mail carrier brings it back to the depot, then the depot ships it out to the location nearest to you for your pickup. It is not brought back to the depot usually until the afternoon, then needs to be sorted and shipped again. Thus, at least a day is needed.

At this time of year, the mail starts getting heavier for the carriers, so their routes take more time, therefore, if you would normally receive your mail by say 10am, you might not get it till 12 or 1pm on a h3eavier mail day. In Ontario, the mail needs to be brought to boxes where the posties pick it up (at least it used to be that way years ago when I delivered the mail to the green boxes for the posties) and sometimes these deliveries can get behind as well, thus causing backup times.

Hope this help you out.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    102 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hollyquaiscer View Post
    Walkonby can answer this the best, but it's because the mail carrier brings it back to the depot, then the depot ships it out to the location nearest to you for your pickup. It is not brought back to the depot usually until the afternoon, then needs to be sorted and shipped again. Thus, at least a day is needed.

At this time of year, the mail starts getting heavier for the carriers, so their routes take more time, therefore, if you would normally receive your mail by say 10am, you might not get it till 12 or 1pm on a h3eavier mail day. In Ontario, the mail needs to be brought to boxes where the posties pick it up (at least it used to be that way years ago when I delivered the mail to the green boxes for the posties) and sometimes these deliveries can get behind as well, thus causing backup times.

Hope this help you out.
    that seems like alot of extra work lol
    why wouldn't they just drop it off at the post office on the way back to the depot?

and about the mail being later, im sure thats true, but i have at least 3 different carriers on my route.
    There was a blonde lady that came everyday at 1030am like clockwork, then theres a small dark haired lady who comes everyday at 1130am like clockwork.
    Yesterday when i was leaving for work at 1245pm, i saw a new mail carrier pulling up on my street.

Anyone know why my route has 3 different carriers? lol

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

It is a lot of work, but a person does not necessarily pick up their packages at the postal outlet. Where I live, if I miss a postal delivery, I need to pick up my parcel at the Shoppers Drug Mart post office. And that is not where the posties pick up the packages they need to deliver. So once the postal depot receives back all undelivered packages, they are sorted and sent to a location near you for pick up, and that location is not always a postal depot it could be an outlet such as the one in many Shoppers, or another drug store.
    c_mcarthur likes this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

That's the case when I miss a delivery as well - pickup can be after 1 p.m. the next day at our SDM postal outlet. The good part about that is that it's open til 8:30, since I can't go during the day to get it.

We also have been having merry-go-round mail carriers - always used to get mail between 10:30 and 11 - then came the changes which were made across the country. Now, there are different carriers, and different times. The oddest is getting mail at 5:30 p.m.! That just seems odd, but at least we get it!
    xox2010 likes this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

aw sorry I did not see this till now c_mcarthur...so like I have been harping about for quite some time the NEW and Improved Postal Transformation that they call The Modern Post is coming soon ( or you may have it already) to a neighbourhood near you.

Basically hollyq was right.
    The carriers ( now called Delivery Agents ) have a much later start time than in the past, so that means they get out on the street later, so it would be a rare thing to get an early a.m. mail delivery under this new system. When it comes to parcels, packets, registered items, all of that, they now carry the full spectrum in their trucks.
    One guy had 61 parcels for one place one day!! On top of all his other deliveries door to door, he had to stop and attempt delivery of 61 parcels. ( OMG!)
    You will not see any more large step vans out there doing large parcels only, ALL the parcels now go to the Delivery Agent in his little Ford Transit van for the streets on his/her route. ( so many are well over 50 lbs too)

So when a card is left in a mailbox for pick up, the extra day is required because there is no way he could get that item ( along with so many other items he has) to the SDM or whichever place you pick up at before it closes that day.
    Many of the Delivery Agents are working well past 5,6,7 and later at night right now, they are exhausted physically and mentally. It is the way it is now at CP.

Your carded item is attended to first thing in the a.m.
    An inside worker scans all the items that have been carded ( not by just one Delivery Agent, but all of them) and brought back to the Depot and places them in another Delivery Agent's spot as they are responsible to bring all of them to the SDM first before they start their actual deliveries. One big shipment, one Agent, one drop off, instead of the many Delivery Agents .

Yes I agree that to the customer it seems inefficient, not the best way, but you would have to take that up with CP...they dreamed this all up.
    Last edited by walkonby; Fri, Nov 30th, 2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: ha ha , noticed a piece of a dangling sentence at the bottom under the post.
    c_mcarthur likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

WOB
    Could you also explain what happens with a envie/parcel with insufficient postage. We were discussing it in another thread
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    aw sorry I did not see this till now c_mcarthur...so like I have been harping about for quite some time the NEW and Improved Postal Transformation that they call The Modern Post is coming soon ( or you may have it already) to a neighbourhood near you.

Basically hollyq was right.
    The carriers ( now called Delivery Agents ) have a much later start time than in the past, so that means they get out on the street later, so it would be a rare thing to get an early a.m. mail delivery under this new system. When it comes to parcels, packets, registered items, all of that, they now carry the full spectrum in their trucks.
    One guy had 61 parcels for one place one day!! On top of all his other deliveries door to door, he had to stop and attempt delivery of 61 parcels. ( OMG!)
    You will not see any more large step vans out there doing large parcels only, ALL the parcels now go to the Delivery Agent in his little Ford Transit van for the streets on his/her route. ( so many are well over 50 lbs too)

So when a card is left in a mailbox for pick up, the extra day is required because there is no way he could get that item ( along with so many other items he has) to the SDM or whichever place you pick up at before it closes that day.
    Many of the Delivery Agents are working well past 5,6,7 and later at night right now, they are exhausted physically and mentally. It is the way it is now at CP.

Your carded item is attended to first thing in the a.m.
    An inside worker scans all the items that have been carded ( not by just one Delivery Agent, but all of them) and brought back to the Depot and places them in another Delivery Agent's spot as they are responsible to bring all of them to the SDM first before they start their actual deliveries. One big shipment, one Agent, one drop off, instead of the many Delivery Agents .

Yes I agree that to the customer it seems inefficient, not the best way, but you would have to take that up with CP...they dreamed this all up.
    Wait this is a new system??? We were doing it in the small town I am from for at least 3 or 4 years...That was our system when I worked in a drug store post office. We would get our parcels delivered around 10 or 11am and they were the undeliverable parcels from the day before that the driver had taken out and attempted delivery. No such thing as separate delivery vans all the mail people used their own vehicles for letters and parcels. Once we got parcels in the morning it would take us at least an hour or two to put them through our system so they could be picked up (even longer if it was Christmas time and we had 100+ parcels to process). It ALWAYS made people angry when they would show up the same day and not be able to get the parcel because we wouldn't have it.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    WOB
    Could you also explain what happens with a envie/parcel with insufficient postage. We were discussing it in another thread
    I know I'm not WOB but when I used to work at the PO it would depend. Sometimes it would be returned to sender with a sticker over the "to" address saying insufficient postage and it would say what you needed to add to re-mail it and the sticker could be peeled off so you could use the same envelope. The other thing we used to see would be they would show up as postage due and the person receiving the envelope would get a parcel notice with a postage due price and if they wanted the envelope they had to come in and pay the extra postage to get the envelope.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

well if YOU send the envie without a stamp, or with not enough postage on it, the addressee gets that envie with a card attached to it requesting the missing postage be placed onto the card and plopped into a mailbox. OR sometimes it gets sent right back to you with a sticker placed over the mailing address that can easily be removed. The sticker states why it was being returned to you and CP is giving you a second chance to put the proper postage on it. You can remail it so the original envie does not have to be opened and readdressed.

Parcels? Wow, that I cannot say I have seen too often because most are weighed at the place you mail them. If you just slap a guesswork amount of stamps on a parcel, chances are it will come back to you marked insufficient postage, but the wait time is brutal! By the time you get it back, if it is clothing it will be out of style! lol

Has anyone actually gotten a parcel come back? I am curious now, can't say I remember ever delivering a return to someone for that reason.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by roseofblack25 View Post
    Wait this is a new system??? We were doing it in the small town I am from for at least 3 or 4 years...That was our system when I worked in a drug store post office. We would get our parcels delivered around 10 or 11am and they were the undeliverable parcels from the day before that the driver had taken out and attempted delivery. No such thing as separate delivery vans all the mail people used their own vehicles for letters and parcels. Once we got parcels in the morning it would take us at least an hour or two to put them through our system so they could be picked up (even longer if it was Christmas time and we had 100+ parcels to process). It ALWAYS made people angry when they would show up the same day and not be able to get the parcel because we wouldn't have it.
    When you say 3-4 years, well we always had a regular person ( letter carrier) in the old system who's job it was to bring the parcels to the RPO but with the new system there are so many more because there is no longer a YDC division( that is who used to deliver the oversized parcels all these years)
    When you say the guys used there own vehicles to do letters and parcels, yes that was the way it used to be, but now with the new system EVERY Delivery Agent has CP van and the job functions are changed completely.

This New Modern Post has been out West for about 3 1/2 years I think now, they were the first to be changed over. Not sure what small town you are from.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

The conversation in in blacklist I think
    In my case, my mailman knocked and I paid him the cost of the postage and he gave me the envie, in another persons case, they were left what she called a bill but the envie was also left, she wondered what happens if she doesnt pay it
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

My mail carrier seems to take the long way around this, he delivers all the mail and small packages (things that can be easily carried) then drives the packages door to door. He parked outside my place, dropped off a package, got back in the van and drove 3 doors away and dropped off a small package. Could have saved himself some time getting in and out to just walk them, mine certainly was not heavy if he started at the 2nd house
    ~ ~ ~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information