User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By freecouponsforcanadians
  • 1 Post By sarah_cio
  • 1 Post By theguyz

Thread: Ontario EI Question

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am in a little bit of a prediciment. My babysitter decided that she no longer wanted to care for my children. She gave me an entire 2 days notice. I am still unsure why this happened but either way, with lack of family in the area and virtually no help from my husbands side of the family, I ended up having to quit my job to stay home with my children. With less money coming and chirstmas up ahead im starting to get a little freaked out. Im currentlyng looking for another babysitter in my area but this is not at all easy. I have been told to apply for EI becuase this could be "Just cause" for having to leave my job. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Thank you in advance
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

freecouponsforcanadians
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Unfortunately, as far as I know, I don't think they give EI for quiting your job to look after your children. They do give EI benefits if you have to quit your job to look after a critically ill child or relative. I would just apply and try to see what happens.
    anastasia1009 likes this.

Ilovecoupons!
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I would apply if I were you. And if you get denied, appeal the decision. MY BIL quit his job because he was returning to school and had to do an unpaid co-op which interferred with work hours. At first, he was denied benefits, but he submitted an appeal (a one page form) and he won!
    Wanna Join WagJag? àhttp://www.wagjag.com/?wid=32ea912f41ea7fd17f7c8a136779b461<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    Wanna Join Groupon? àhttp://www.groupon.com/r/uu20943525<o:p></o:p>

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

How long does this process take?

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Once you quit, you file for EI and then you have to submit your Record of Employment or your employer does electronically. Then two times I have been on EI takes about 21-25 days to hear anything and then if you have to appeal it takes 21 days. Plus factor in the holidays it may take longer.
    Good Luck

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

If you quit your job you don't get it. You have to have very special circumstances-eg. Dr. Notes etc... But then you would get sick benefits or passionate care benefits.
    I get laid off 3 times a year and I collect. There is a two week wait period after you have been approved.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

I have quit my job & got EI but I moved to follow my husband to a new city 8 hours away. According to EI
    http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/e...0.shtml#a6_5_6

In order to show just cause, the claimant would have to show that voluntarily leaving employment was undertaken only when all reasonable alternatives had been exhausted. Once the claimant has proven they had no reasonable alternative but to leave their employment to care for the close family member it will be difficult for them to prove they are available and capable of working and therefore entitled to collect regular benefits.
    The necessity of taking care of a young child must not be confused with the simple desire to do so, as the latter is a voluntary personal choice by the insured person. A person who voluntarily leaves employment by personal choice to take care of his or her child and then applies for regular benefits would have difficulty showing just cause as required by the Act.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I think you can try it but I agree with others that it is unlikely you will be granted on this basis. Good luck!
    Abby5 likes this.
    Start your savings with Ing direct orange key: 14063041S1

Have you tried swagbucks? http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/sciotti

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ashna101 View Post
    I am in a little bit of a prediciment. My babysitter decided that she no longer wanted to care for my children. She gave me an entire 2 days notice. I am still unsure why this happened but either way, with lack of family in the area and virtually no help from my husbands side of the family, I ended up having to quit my job to stay home with my children. With less money coming and chirstmas up ahead im starting to get a little freaked out. Im currentlyng looking for another babysitter in my area but this is not at all easy. I have been told to apply for EI becuase this could be "Just cause" for having to leave my job. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Thank you in advance
    With the information you have given us, I would say declined on an appeal as you just looked to family for help.

To win you need to PROVE and some reps will investigate, that you searched locally for a baby sitter ( not just family ), looked at daycare options, etc.... You need to express you had no alternative, but to quit as well they may phoen employer ans ask if you asked for a week off to find alternative for babysitter versus quitting. If daycare was available prove the cost of daycare versus working = lost money.

As for babysitter, lucky you got 2 days notice I know some that have phoned morning of and quit.

As for how long till you know, if you submitted your ROLE, you have 21 days since applied, you will get weekly reports to fill out in meantime ( does not mean you got ei ) and your 1st 2 weeks are not paid out as well expect if you win your take home is about 55% of what you did earn. After 21 days and seeing ist xmas I would not expect to hear anything back till 1st or 2nd week of Januray and at that point know if your getting ei or not, then appeal process can take another 21 days so end of January for verdict.

So if approved you would not see any cheques untill January most likely.
    Last edited by theguyz; Mon, Dec 10th, 2012 at 09:40 AM.
    Abby5 likes this.

Thread Information