User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: I've been using coupons match-up with good deals ... but still no HUGE savings

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (67%)

I've been using coupons and match-up with good sales, but still haven't getting very far, am I doing something wrong?

I have a small stockpile of everything, but it doesn't seem like I save a BIG chunk every month - enough for a mini vacay or extra mortgage payment like alot of SC'er have been braggin'.

Please help.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

It can be very frustrating after you watch shows like extreme couponing. That show gives the impression that people can get up to 100% savings and that just isn't the case. I have checked out some of their youtube channels well after they were on air and they all say the same thing... our real savings is about 50% off our grocery bill. Of course that is in the USA where they have more coupons and incentives then here.

As for my couponing and stock pile... I am coming up on 2 years of couponing. I have what I consider to be a decent stockpile. I am on a very limited income and I can say it takes time. My savings is much closer to 30% less then what I used to spend and my stock pile keeps growing. In the first year I got a small but decent stockpile but I was not satisfied with my overall savings... I NEEDED to do better. In the second year it clicked to some of the things I could do to really amp up my savings.

The first thing I can say is... If possible use multiple addresses.

Use multiple computers to print off coupons... sometimes you can print off things like tablets too

Using customer appreciation cards like airmiles and shoppers optimum and sobeys cards are fantastic savings tools.

When limits are too strict and I can not get what I need I make a extra trip through the tills or I take someone shopping with me.

Price match at stores that allow it and save yourself some extra trips. Price matching at stores like Canadian Tire and Rona can get you the lowest price and they beat the price at rona by 10%... canadain tire gives you 10% of the difference in canadian tire money... that saves you basically 10% off the lowest price right there without coupons... add on the coupons and your a rockstar. Toys R Us price matches as well along with all of the other usual suspects like WM and Loblaws.

There are defiantly more but that is all I can think of off the top of my head.

When your couponing your savings grow as you learn to master more and more aspects of couponing. Please don't forget to add in the other ways being on this site saves you $. People teach you how to thrift shop, garage sale, reduce your electric bills, budget, get better prices on your cell phone, get better prices on your internet and so many other things. I am still learning and I love all the wonderful people on here that help me so much. I hope your savings come up in the next year!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

As you know their are lots of coupons out there but they may not be for products you or your family use so not saving as much as you would like, not saying this is the case but it can be frustrating.

Also keep in mind that out west people can stack coupons and that is not so in the other provinces, I'm personally a little envious.

Don't get frustrated it takes work as you are aware & time to get your mojo (if you will), price matching and using coupons at the same time get you the most bang for your buck + waiting for that fabulous sale (if you can) is where you really get the best bang for your buck.

Also look at the packaging for coupons on the boxes of cereals, granola bars and such you would normally buy when on sale and with a coupon if possible.

You're doing great!
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

its hard to keep track of price matching but it does add up
    last shop- chicken saved 15.oo
    veggies/ fruit saved probably 10.0
    bread saved 2.00 and used a coupon for fresh veg/ fruit
    probably price matched all but 3 items used 3 flyers and saved a lot of time

dont fall into the trap of buying 10 dish washer cleaners bc you have a coupon if you have never used/ needed the product before! even if it is a good price its a money out of pocket for something you dont need

if you are cooking/ baking from scratch you wont use as many coupons as some others as there are a lot out there for prepared foods/smellies and such that you may
    not ever use before and should not start buying bc there is a coupon for it!

do you have any idea how much you were spending before....that is the only way to tell...

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Tue, Jan 20th, 2015 at 08:25 AM.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

yep you are just starting -so it does take time -i have couponed for years and its getting harder to find cpns in stores because of the show people are grabbing so many tear pads or lots of coupons -trading on here is great -i just traded the last few days for coupons i need or stamps-gift cards you can use-just hang in there it takes awhile

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think same too.
    macw1960 likes this.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

My suggestion is to make sure you are buying at the best price point. Most retailers put items in their flyers that are regular price, so knowing the best price you can get the item for is important. Last year there were several staple items that only went on sale for a good price a couple times. If you are getting all your items every month, I suspect you could save more by waiting for better prices on some items. A stockpile happens due to buying at the right price point, otherwise there is no reason for a stockpile.
    Join Beyond the Rack here and get a $10 credit!

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

It does take time and that can be frustrating. BC gal's points are right on! I find the best thing I've "gained" is that ability to know what is a REALLY good buy and a REALLY good coupon. Reading the Brags and Deals area gives you lots of important info and trading is a good way to come up with those long expiring, coupons you really want and then waiting for that "best time" and boing! Great deals.

There's a thread called Frugal Living which gives you all kinds of ways to reduce your output and one called "What's in your wallet" that gives you ideas about making a few extra $s along the way.

The rewards points such as SDM are great as long as you're not buying things at a high price point just to get the points.

HOMEWORK - planning what you will buy, cook, save - helps

Remember it seems you either spend MONEY or TIME - I find the time I spend on Smart Canucks helps me to save on MONEY!

Welcome - keep up the good work! I've been on here for 4 years and I'm STILL learning new tips!
    Last edited by avoncallingu; Wed, Jan 16th, 2013 at 09:10 PM.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Start making a price book (or whatever it's called). Its what i'm going to do. I'm going to write down the prices of stuff that I buy so that I'll know when a good sale is on. That way I'll save money in the long run. I also only buy what I'm actually going to use. I just don't buy stuff because it's on sale. And if I don't have a coupon or can't price match for what I need, I'll buy the generic brand if its cheaper. I am not brand loyal.

There's no way that I'd save enough to make an extra mortgage pymt (I live in Toronto) but I usually save between 25 and 45% on a grocery bill.
    coupon girl and macw1960 like this.

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

Our home has always been thrifty. My DH is an accountant. He is the one that always seeked deals. But was still running to the store when items were needed and even paying full price at times . You might say it is a bit of an investment to buy a few extras, on sale and now I can say after a few good months, if we need something we have it. As the other seasoned SC'ers mention it takes time and mastering the points systems for the chains I think that is where you and I or I'll speak/write for myself need some hand-holding because it is all "Point-a-neze" to me. I was mentioning this to another sweet SC'er the other evening that for example SDM,my DH says not worth buying there because they charge too much to save money, makes no sense at all. A baby (that seems to be a big point-maker) (in a nutshell) how can I make points work for me if I have no babies to purchase for and she assures me it can but you gotta learn the ropes/rules. When I learn all I have to do then is convince my DH. I think too making a list maybe when you come back just jotting where you saved so you hae a running accountability visual to remind yourself of the great savings. When I look at some items I say-oh yeah I got that for $$$$ save $$$$ that trip, it is an invisble bank account until you get to the point where you say, wow I just need milk, bread, vegetables and a few selected items and the freezer can't take anymore too is another indicator.Keep going, we all have a great feeling that just taking another perspective look at your purchases you will realize you are saving more than you think and keep reading like cheekysavers' article and the other team members that there are lots of other ways to use as inspiration. You're SC'er, you are doing great.
    Last edited by oscarandme; Wed, Jan 16th, 2013 at 03:58 PM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (67%)

Thank-you all for your wonderful tips and advice.
    macw1960 likes this.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    As you know their are lots of coupons out there but they may not be for products you or your family use so not saving as much as you would like, not saying this is the case but it can be frustrating.
    Ahh..see but that's where you can sometimes get more coupons that you would actually use. Trade the ones you wouldn't use with other people that do need them.

I have a little coupon friend on here that i order coupons for...even though I won't use them I know she will. And she, in turn, gets coupons for me that she knows I would use! Kind of a win/win situation!!!

do some quick trades on here with a couple people. You don't have to join a train (I find them confusing...lol..so I avoid them)
    just check people's wish lists and see if you have anything they need and see if they have anything on their trade list that you would like.
    Last edited by Sunshyne1; Wed, Jan 16th, 2013 at 04:50 PM.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I think another huge thing to look at is what you have to buy. We are always willing to try new things if we can get them free or cheap but there are certain items on our grocery bill that rarely go on sale and rarely have coupons for so when they are on sale and we have a coupon we stock up (I have 4 - 10 kg bags of flour in my stockpile). There are many items you will never get for free or close to free you can only get them as cheap as possible. You need to look at how many of these items are on your regular grocery list.

Also a lot of people watching Extreme Couponers feel it has to be free, but rarely does this happen. Every person is going to have different savings based on their own needs.

I would love to get to the point where my savings would pay for a yearly vacation but right now I am just happy to have a little more breathing when it comes to paying the bill and being able to do a little me shopping without worrying about coming up short,

Trading Score
    59 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by larosa2001 View Post
    I've been using coupons and match-up with good sales, but still haven't getting very far, am I doing something wrong?
    The first and the most important thing that you need to do is: do NOT compare with others, it is not a competition. Every person and their household is different (so is their needs). Otherwise, you will feel kind of depressed or low achiever or whatever be the right word to use here, at least that is how I used to feel .

Secondly, try saving on things that you do buy any way. For example: tooth paste, toilet paper etc. If you feel hesitant/shy when using coupons, skip using those 10 cent (cheese etc.) coupons as they will make you tired and it can wait till you are more expert.

Thirdly, do not buy things that you do not use/like regardless of how great the deal sounds. Because, any thing cost you money (may be just tax) is not free. I used to buy shaving cream from p&g coupons for being free. But I finally realized that I don't like the product. Plus, I still pay tax on it and then there are better cheaper alternative. It was just dumb to spend extra while thinking I was saving. Same thing goes for shoppers points deals which is itself great but is not for every one. I discovered that after creating a small mountain of stuff from shoppers drugmart (which basically had me invest my money for some thing that I would not have bought otherwise ) . So help yourself by identifying what you actually need to spend on which will save you more than any thing else.

Happy shopping and good luck.
    Last edited by sporatic; Wed, Jan 16th, 2013 at 08:38 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information