User Tag List

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi all, with 4 kids and alot of expenses, we've decided to rent rooms in our home in BC to students in our downstairs basement, rather then renting to a family or couple. Since these are students we dont know if the Tenancy agreement applies? Anyone have any experience with this?
    any advice would be helpful, thank you
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Why wouldn't a Tenancy Agreement apply?? I'd contact your local council for further info..

this a student link which may be useful for you..http://cfs.bc.ca/section/41

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hey, thanks for the link...I guess my question wasn't written well. The Tenancy AGreement is very general in the sense that it is geared more towards renting a whole Suite. We want to rent out just a room..and have the students share common areas.
    Our dilemma lays in the area of visitors...We have 1 student who just recently shared with us that he is helping his ex girlfriend out by babysitting her 7 yr old daughter. And he didnt come forward with this infomraiton when we rented to him. We feel this is an awkward situation to the other students sharing the common area in the downstairs suite and now he is threatening us with the "Tenancy Agreement" but "students or student rooms" are not reallyt covered in this agreement. Also having roommates is not covered in the tenancy act agreement...

but thank you for this link anyways
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    Why wouldn't a Tenancy Agreement apply?? I'd contact your local council for further info..

this a student link which may be useful for you..http://cfs.bc.ca/section/41

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Did you not have then sign a lease with all the conditions listed - ie: number of tenants in a room, use of common area etc.? In Ont the Tenancy Agreement would not apply because it is rooms and you are occupying the house. I would go online and find the Tenacy Agreement for BC and find ouy exactly what it says. If you have a Landlord and Tenant Board you could call them for info.

Why don't you give him a reasonable time to move out and if he complains ask him to show you where in the Tenacy Agreement it allows him to do whatever he wishes.
    Last edited by MortgageMaster; Mon, Jan 28th, 2013 at 10:11 AM.
    Doug Boswell Mortgage Agent
    Intellimortgage Inc. # 12326

[email protected]
    www.dougboswell.com

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Thread Information