User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Man cold

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    84 (100%)

DS was sick Fri, Sat and this morning, DH slept 10 hours on Fri night (I only got 4 hours because DD still wakes up at night) and then spent pretty much all day on the couch before heading to bed at 5pm. Okay, I get that DS got him sick and now he's not feeling well, but he has a serious case of "man-cold". He complains about the NyQuil commercial with the guy who asks his wife to call his mommy (which I and I assume most women find hilarious), and I'll give him credit, he's not whiney when he's sick, but he can't seem to do anything except sleep and watch tv. If I get sick, sure I try to rest when I can, but I still try to put an effort in to take care of the kids, tidy up, etc. I have never, ever, spent an entire day in bed and left DH to do all the work on his own (and I had 2 c-sections). And that is what the idea of the "man-cold" is all about; men go to bed, women move on.

And I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who don't fit this profile, but this is my experience and that of all the other women I have laughed with about this.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I find in general man cannot handle being sick like women can. It is funny I work in a "man's" industry but our office is mostly women. we all show up half dead as we put it, we are sick but we are there why because we have to be, but if one of the few guys in the office gets sick it is the end of the world. They cannot do their jobs, they need to go home, or can't come in where is the women are there doing out jobs.

Not to mention when they are sick everyone has to hear about it. They cannot just quietly not feel well, everyone in the office has to know the other locations have to know. Even than I laugh they talk about how they are going home to do nothing just go to bed, I get to go home and do a million things before I get to go to bed. I wish when I was sick everything was done for me but that doesn't happen, the bathroom doesn't magically get cleaned, dinner doesn't just magically appear (unless my mom is off that day than she will make dinner, bit even than the kitchen doesn't clean itself) and if I am too sick to do these things they are waiting for me when I feel better.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I go to work when I am sick but when I get home I snuggle up, eat soup and totally take care of myself by doing absolutely nothing.
    SassyAshley likes this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Personally, i hate it when anyone, male or female, goes into work when sick..If you are ill stay at home..

Annoy your beloved if you have to and if possible do what you can from home...

Please don't bring your germs to work..

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't know where you work but I have never had a job where they wanted you to stay home when you were sick....EVER. In fact, I don't know many people who have that luxury.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My family is pretty much like OP and my DH practically miss his mom and keep calling her name. lol.

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

My DH has had a few man-colds over the years. I was raised in a family where there were few options to stay home from school even when sick (two working parents, no family or other caregivers in the area who could take care of a sick child), so got used to "sucking it up" and going to school, etc. while sick at a very young age. Since I'm used to keeping on when I'm sick I generally do, although I try to work from home to avoid spreading germs around too much.

DH, on the other hand, generally can only veg out on the sofa and sleep when sick. I baby him for the first day of the man-cold as everybody needs a bit of care every now and then, but then he's on his own to cope (or not) without my help.
    ticul and angel_2011 like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Hope he gets better soon!

Well, my husband is the opposite - he'll keeping on going til he's at death's door, he's a real toughie.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

My dh would NEVER complain. In November, he got one of those really nasty flu's that are going around, he had a fever, a really bad headache and could hardly move, but he never once complained. He did the dishes just as he does every day, he help clean up and so on. the only thing he didn't do was go out. I too wish that when people are sick, the would stay home. There are enough diseases, colds and flu's out there that we don't need more help spreading them around to everyone near us. Especially with this years flu's, they're brutal. I realize that people need to work, they need the money, and not all employers will pay for sick days, but it's just common courtesy to stay home if your truly ill so that you don't bestow your lovely gift to all your co-workers and they intern pass it on to their families. I hope your ds and dh feel better real soon.
    Last edited by hollyquaiscer; Mon, Feb 4th, 2013 at 09:48 AM. Reason: spelling
    DiamondLil, lecale, ticul and 1 others like this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lghend View Post
    I don't know where you work but I have never had a job where they wanted you to stay home when you were sick....EVER. In fact, I don't know many people who have that luxury.
    I've worked places where they've said if you are sick, come in and then we'll judge if you are sick enough to go back home. Even then, you have to be projectile vomiting in order to be "judged" sick enough to go back home.
    Sadly that's it is at most workplaces.
    xox2010, Aimz, angel_2011 and 1 others like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GracieAnne View Post
    I've worked places where they've said if you are sick, come in and then we'll judge if you are sick enough to go back home. Even then, you have to be projectile vomiting in order to be "judged" sick enough to go back home.
    Sadly that's it is at most workplaces.

This is at my work place too. If I call in the night before my shift its ok, but if I call in the morning of my shift I was told that it would be considered lying that no one just wakes up sick so come in and we will decide if you are sick enough to go home.
    lghend likes this.

Smart Canuck couponclippercaitie's Avatar
    Trading Score
    171 (100%)

DH and I find the "man-cold" commercial HILARIOUS! Because it's sooooo true, he even laughs because he knows its true haha... Every time he's sick he's like "Caitie... *sniff* Caitie *sniff* .... I need some medicine *sniff*sneeze*... HAHA
    DiamondLil, Natalka, Aimz and 5 others like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    Personally, i hate it when anyone, male or female, goes into work when sick..If you are ill stay at home..

Annoy your beloved if you have to and if possible do what you can from home...

Please don't bring your germs to work..
    Quote Originally Posted by lghend View Post
    Two posts that I want to address.
    I work at a place that has paid sick days, they want you to use them and not infect any one at work, BUT they also have a harassment program well in place where they interview you for using too much sick time. It is complicated, but all computer generated " spitouts" that track you back 1 full year from the last occurrence.
    To avoid hassles and letters put on their files many workers go in sick.

Anyways at DH's work, no work? no pay, no exceptions.

So unless families have the luxury of being able to go a week or more without a paycheck while the person recovers, I think that is why most people go in when they are sick at his place.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

A lot of jobs do not have extra staff to cover you if you stay home sick. We have sick people coming into the pharmacy all the time to pick up prescriptions so it's impossible to avoid getting sick. It's a fact of life where I work. I wash my hands all the time, sneeze into my elbow if I can't get to a kleenex, wipe my counters/phone with Lysol wipes and try to avoid touching anything that someone else has to touch after. That's about all we can do.
    anisa and hollyquaiscer like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I can't profess to understand God's plan. Christ promised the resurrection of the dead. I just thought he had something a little different in mind.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information