User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: North Korea: Real threat or cranky kitty?

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

I'm sure most have heard about the threats coming out of North Korea because of the joint military exercises that the US and South Korea have been engaging in. It seems the threats are getting more serious from the North and the US has moved missiles into Guam and flown bombers over the DMZ in a show of force with the South after the North declared a state of war with the South. Every time the US and the South do drills the North gets miffed and pulls a stunt or 2. But this time it seems different.

I've personally felt it is a different situation, and I actually think they are serious. In my opinion Kim Jong-Un has the need to "prove" himself to his people and to the world and to make a name for himself. Even if they only captured and/or killed 1 American soldier they would consider it a success. I find the US is even taking it more seriously this time around which has me worried because the US is a "super power". The world is watching and being the news junkie I am I check out sites world wide and most are putting up maps showing which weapons the North have that could reach their particular mainland and what damage it could do. I've never seen this reaction before. It's usually just, "well the North is acting up again" and they move on. What really bothers me is that I was talking to a friend of ours that is only 4 months retired from the Marines and he is worried he will be recalled under the USMCR, he won't go into detail as to why he feels this way. I'm hoping the North is bluffing. To top it all off I read that a 6.9 earthquake was registered in North Korea today. There are plenty of weapons that can make such a register on the scale.

http://www.news.com.au/world-news/wh...-1226613169835
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

I agree that as a new leader Kim Jong-Un has to prove himself, but I don't know how much of the bravado is real intention and how much is a ruse put on to fool the N. Korean citizens. My guess is that it is mostly "display only" since they don't have the technology or manpower to go to war with anyone and K J-U knows it.
    TaraF likes this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I believe the threat is real. I too watch way too much news.
    Natalka and TaraF like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

I guess the question is: How crazy is Kim Jong Un? The latest is that he's advising all embassies to leave the country because he can't guarantee their safety after April 10. He could be all bluff but who knows. I guess it's something that only time will tell.

Oh WOB I'm horrible with news, I want to know what is going on globally.
    walkonby likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I believe the threat is real and I don't think he is in charge.

I have not been this worried about a nuclear threat since Reagan was in office.
    Natalka, TaraF, DaveP and 1 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Actually I am not so worried about them launching missiles as I am the states getting all push button happy again.
    TaraF and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I believe the threat is all-too real - but Un isn't the one to focus on, it's the puppeteers behind him - the old guard.
    Were I in Guam, I'd be concerned...

But I'm hoping it's just rhetoric and sabre-rattling, nonetheless.
    TaraF and Patty Smyth like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

We have a trip to Seoul in 1 week for a family wedding, flying out on April 13. Have been checking the news everyday, and each new news is worse than the previous one. Unfortunate that this is happening now. So...what's happening after April 10?

People in South Korea are not too worried though, everything going on as usual. I'm worried though, seems to me that the treats are more serious this time. Well I guess we'll have to wait till the very last minute to know if we have to cancel the trip.
    Natalka, TaraF and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    I believe the threat is real and I don't think he is in charge.

I have not been this worried about a nuclear threat since Reagan was in office.
    Are you thinking it's someone else within his Government making decisions or another country? I wouldn't be surprised at either.

The latest is: South Koreans leave joint factory park as North warns embassies on safety

My concern from that would be that the North and South live with this all of the time and if they are taking precautions perhaps everyone else who thinks it's all a game should be a bit less smug about it. And it seems within the media they are quite smug.
    Last edited by TaraF; Sat, Apr 6th, 2013 at 08:11 PM.
    walkonby likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TaraF View Post
    Are you thinking it's someone else within his Government making decisions or another country? I wouldn't be surprised at either.

The latest is: South Koreans leave joint factory park as North warns embassies on safety

My concern from that would be that the North and South live with this all of the time and if they are taking precautions perhaps everyone else who thinks it's all a game should be a bit less smug about it. And it seems within the media they are quite smug.
    Probably all the old military guard from his father's regime. Either way I would not take anything they say lightly, these crazies thrive on this kind of stuff though.

Can't imagine what they are showing on N.K. tv. The propaganda must be scary. How do you control a people, you rule by fear.
    Natalka and TaraF like this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

I was reading an article this morning that hinted at his Aunt & Uncle being the ones who they believe are making the decisions. Either way apparently Wednesday is the show down day and they are 13 hrs ahead so that's tomorrow evening for us.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TaraF View Post
    I was reading an article this morning that hinted at his Aunt & Uncle being the ones who they believe are making the decisions. Either way apparently Wednesday is the show down day and they are 13 hrs ahead so that's tomorrow evening for us.
    This means I need coffee now!
    TaraF likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Is North Korea pulling out of UK?

As Kim Jong Un threatens to attack the US, the North Koreans may be about to pull their ambassador out of London.
    A sign outside the pariah state's embassy - an ordinary home in west London - says they will be 'loading' on Tuesday morning.
    Despite North Korea warning that the safety of foreigners in their country 'cannot be guaranteed' beyond next Wednesday, the Foreign Office are refusing to pull their man out of Pyongyang.

{snip} When asked why the sign was there, he responded: 'One guy, a secretary is leaving the country at the end of his term. He asked for a van to carry all of his belongings.'There is a new secretary coming soon.'
    He refused to give the name of the old secretary or say who the replacement will be.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

lol walks I know! I'm a news junkie but when it's potential breaking news I can't sleep. I'm sure there's something good in that somewhere (potentially good work ethic if I was a journalist!) haha but it can't be too healthy With the latest move of removing the 50,000+ workers they have just totally isolated themselves and a totally isolated country with a crazy man at the helm who has "something to prove" can't be a good thing.
    Last edited by TaraF; Mon, Apr 8th, 2013 at 11:09 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information