User Tag List

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree526Likes

Thread: Dogs in Stores???

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    114 (100%)

I have a child who is terrified of dogs and I am allergic to them. Dogs do NOT belong in stores unless it is a designated PET store.
    And come on...you can't compare children to dogs. It doesn't matter that kids are noisy, messy, and gross. You know why? Because they are PEOPLE. They are covered by the human rights act and last I checked, dogs are not.

I used to work in a fast food restaurant and people would come in all the time with their little dogs in arms or in bags and were always confused and offended when we told them that the dog needs to leave. Its a health regulation. Its the law....

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Dogs in Pet Stores, Fabulous! Dogs in other stores... not so much. My Great Dane listens very well, is the biggest baby and loves attention from all people, but I had a good laugh at the thought of bringing her into Walmart, with her waggy tail alone I'd be paying for more broken merchandise than a bull in a china shop. Not mention all of the meals I would have to replace because she can swipe them off the McDonalds tables when walking by before you say Big Mac! Oh dear... the insanity!

But on a serious note, while I trust my dog completely to listen to me and heal beside me, I don't trust that she won't feel threatened by other people or their dogs depending on how they approach her. I would be destroyed if she nipped at a child (or another dog) who ran up to her and scared her. Let's face it, you know how to handle your dog, how to approach her, but others may not! Why would I put her (or myself) in that situation? I have to do what is best for her, so whether she would enjoy coming to other stores or not, it is just not going to happen Its up to me to be the gatekeeper to ensure her safety and others around her, that is just to hard to do in overly crowded places like store IMO.

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

Like I mentioned before I don't agree with pets inside places like Safeway,etc where groceries are sold but in places like Home Sense, Home Depot,CT,etc I don't have issues.

The funny thing about "So when your rights violate another persons rights they (your rights) have gone too far." that also then should go for people with children towards those that don't. While they may be used to calmy going about their business be it eating dinner or grocery shopping or whatever and have Jr. screaming and carrying on I am not. DH are childless for several reasons and would like to eat our dinner or grocery shop and not listen to bratty kids throwing a tantrum! What about smokers whether they be smoking in the car with the window down at a light so I am forced to breath it or on their condo deck so that I am unable to sit and enjoy MY deck that I pay a mortage on.If you really want to break it down someone somewhere is offended by what someone else does and it "violates their rights". Once again dogs in grocery type stores=no for obvious health reasons but elsewherenot aproblem and again this is JMO

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I can't be the only person surprised by an unexpected dog sudddenly appearing in an area when and where I wasn't expecting one. As an adult who grew up round dogs, pets as well as trained guard dogs, I'm capable of not showing any behaviour which may startle the dog into protective behaviour towards it's humans.

A lot of people are not capable of that, especially children who may be accosted by a dog which is the same size or bigger than them. Coming face to nuzzle with a jaw of sharp teeth can be very frightening to a child.
    Dee09, RSAS and Springbreeze like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by harbie View Post
    Like I mentioned before I don't agree with pets inside places like Safeway,etc where groceries are sold but in places like Home Sense, Home Depot,CT,etc I don't have issues.

The funny thing about "So when your rights violate another persons rights they (your rights) have gone too far." that also then should go for people with children towards those that don't. While they may be used to calmy going about their business be it eating dinner or grocery shopping or whatever and have Jr. screaming and carrying on I am not. DH are childless for several reasons and would like to eat our dinner or grocery shop and not listen to bratty kids throwing a tantrum! What about smokers whether they be smoking in the car with the window down at a light so I am forced to breath it or on their condo deck so that I am unable to sit and enjoy MY deck that I pay a mortage on.If you really want to break it down someone somewhere is offended by what someone else does and it "violates their rights". Once again dogs in grocery type stores=no for obvious health reasons but elsewherenot aproblem and again this is JMO
    I don't know but i think your comment about bratty kids is a bit harsh. Pets in stores I don't know if I am ok with it or not. I don't really like the idea of walking unsuspectingly into an aisle and coming face to face with a dog. I am not allergic to them nor am I overly afraid of them. My 2 year old daughter on the other hand is afraid. She was not always, but when my daughter was 1 a friend with her dog was visiting and she said it was ok for her to pet the dog. She was holding the dog so that she could see my daughter we let her sniff her hand first but the second my daughter reached out to pet her the dog bit her. My friend was mortified she has had the dog for years with kids of her own and had not bitten before but for whatever reason she choose to bite my daughter. I could have understood if my daughter had been loud or rough she was neither. Anyway what I am saying is you just never know.
    In a store where I know there is going to be pets well of course I expect to see them and keep a closer eye on my daughter, she tends to lose it know when she is faced with a dog. But in a grocery store/pharmacy etc.. I am not expecting them.

Now the other side to that is working in a pharmacy where in the last 2 weeks I have seen about 6 dogs. Really I kind of don't care but at the same time I do. You see if the dogs decide they need the bathroom and do not get outside in time, and the owners decide to just walk away (it will happen) I am the one who will have to clean that and I do not want to.

shaykeija
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I am allergic to kids. When I hear the little darling throw their little tantrums, and do that loud ear drum piercing scream. I feel my bp rise. I get chest pains, and usually triggers a migraine. I can take out my champion Shih Tzu ( and no you are not allergic to my dog, just her saliva, and no way am I going to let her lick you, she might catch something.) Do I take my dog in to stores, yes sometimes, and I have never been asked to leave. She is in my arms and her feet never touch the ground. People want to pet her and they get told absolutely not. Do you want me to pet your kid? Should I have to go into a grocery store, she has a mesh case she rides in. She does not shed, is vaccinated, used to lights, loud noises, and people My Tzu is better trained than most kids. Your are more likely to be allergic to peanuts, bee stings, perfume, pesticides, penicillin, pollen, grass, trees, smog, cigarette smoke, red wine, chocolate and nuts, then my non shedding dog.

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

I don't believe in non-service dogs in ANY type of shopping establishment, being it grocery, clothing, etc... A family pet is supposed to be at home, with his family, having fun. Not in an unfamiliar place, with strangers, loud noises, weird objects, or whatever else may come. You might have accustomed your dog to noises at home, different people on the street, but a dog is just that, a DOG! It's an animal first, animals can be unpredictable in the wrong situation. I have a Shih-Tzu as well, would I ever dream of taking her everywhere with me (whether she is shedding or not?) absolutely not! When I'm out shopping, she belongs at home where she's comfortable and knows her surroundings. Just my 2 cents...

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

And to the member who asked where the allergies go with service dogs? Well, herein lies the issue. It's the same as if saying "You can't have your wheelchair in here because it takes up too much room". Service dogs are trained, and wear a special harness that make it so random people don't just come up running to pet your dog. Your regular, run of the mill pet does not wear such harness, so that's why you risk the chance of bites to strangers.
    Natalka and Dee09 like this.

Trading Score
    57 (98%)

bratty kids throwing a tantrum
    well how about you keep your yappy dog away from my bratty child and we have a deal
    RSAS and Springbreeze like this.
    Can't say enough good things about Swagbucks & iRazoo ...Click the link to join too

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ex0ticb3lla View Post
    well how about you keep your yappy dog away from my bratty child and we have a deal
    Firstly my dog dosen't "yap" he only barks when someone knocks on our front door. Secondly I don't allow random kids to run up and touch my dog so that's not an issue and lastly I don't think you need to take it so personally. I did not say YOUR bratty kids or ALL kids are bratty. I'm sure if you were at theBoston Pizza that DH and I were in and experienced what we did a few weeks ago despite us choosing to sit in the bar/lounge area so that we could avoid the main dining area that was full the rim with familys then you might think different.

All I was pointing out that if you make the comment about "violating the rights of people" that that can also be used towards children, smokers,or whatever.

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Springbreeze View Post
    I don't know but i think your comment about bratty kids is a bit harsh. Pets in stores I don't know if I am ok with it or not. I don't really like the idea of walking unsuspectingly into an aisle and coming face to face with a dog..
    I didn't say ALL kids ar bratty or they are bratty all the time just like not ALL dogs and their owners poop in the store and leave it so it's not any harsher than anything else that was said. Since MY dog would be in my arms and NEVER walk around you wouldn't have to worry about him

Quote Originally Posted by Springbreeze View Post
    You see if the dogs decide they need the bathroom and do not get outside in time, and the owners decide to just walk away (it will happen) I am the one who will have to clean that and I do not want to.
    I agree that is beyond gross! I too have worked retail since I was 17 and I can't tell you the number of times I have had to clean up piddles,etc by dogs and a few have been service animals in training but at the same time I couldn't tell you how many dirty diapers,snot rags and kiddy vomit and blood I have also had to clean up while the parents just looked at me and walked away. It goes both ways is all I'm saying.

Trading Score
    57 (98%)

Firstly my dog dosen't "yap" he only barks when someone knocks on our front door. Secondly I don't allow random kids to run up and touch my dog so that's not an issue and lastly I don't think you need to take it so personally. I did not say YOUR bratty kids or ALL kids are bratty. I'm sure if you were at theBoston Pizza that DH and I were in and experienced what we did a few weeks ago despite us choosing to sit in the bar/lounge area so that we could avoid the main dining area that was full the rim with familys then you might think different.

All I was pointing out that if you make the comment about "violating the rights of people" that that can also be used towards children, smokers,or whatever.
    i'm not taking it personally hence the joke. The differnce between your dog and my child is a substantial amount. At one point you were a child...just because you choose not to have children, doesn't mean you deserve to eat in peace at a family restaurant. Get it...FAMILY restaurant. I have a RIGHT to walk into a store and not see a dog wandering around the produce aisle, or walking into a FAMILY restaurant and not be seated next to a lady carrying a dog. There are health codes for a reason. You unfortunately don't have the right to tell my human being son where he can and cannot go. I'm sorry you chose not to have children, just as I am sure you are sorry I chose not to have a dog. But at the end of the day, my child has more rights than your dog ever will and for that your argument is invalid

BTW your comment about bratty kids offends me because its not the childs fault they're bratty, its the way they are raised. You could have made your point clear without bringing up bratty. Hence the reason for my Yappy comment it goes both ways
    Last edited by ex0ticb3lla; Tue, Jul 16th, 2013 at 03:13 PM.
    nadiabreckon and RSAS like this.
    Can't say enough good things about Swagbucks & iRazoo ...Click the link to join too

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

I have a RIGHT to walk into a store and not see a dog wandering around the produce aisle, or walking into a FAMILY restaurant and not be seated next to a lady carrying a dog. There are health codes for a reason.
    Ummm ya, that's why I said in almost everyone of my posts that I DON"T AGREE with animals in places that sell foods, ex Safeways, etc.... so I don't get this comment???

I'm sorry you chose not to have children
    Thank you but don't be. We have comes to accept that fact

my child has more rights than your dog ever will and for that your argument is invalid
    While you child has rights that my dog doesn't that doesn't mean your child's rights trumph mine or anyone elses. I have just as miuch right to enjoy a meal and not have to deal with screaming kids while I'm in THE BAR/LOUNGE area. That is a places that kids don't belong in my opinion.

BTW your comment about bratty kids offends me because its not the childs fault they're bratty, its the way they are raised.
    and comments by others that imply all dog owners let their dogs do their business in stores and leave it offends me as I am a responsible dog owner that takes the step of carring a water bottle to water down the area of grass where my dog pees so it doesn't burn others lawns... so yes it does go both ways

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

My rule is of thumb is: If you CAN leave it at home, then it's probably best to. Obviously people can't leave their kids at home but pets can be.

We have a dog but he only goes to the vets and pet smart (in terms of business establishments), otherwise he stays at home.

When this thread first started I didn't comment because I had never ran into it, but just today alone (DD and I had lots of errands) I saw 3 different dogs in 3 different stores (Rexall, Winners and Hallmark). I was seriously irked. I don't want to worry about a dog nipping DD or even myself in a store!

One dog had massive hair and I started sneezing hysterically because the owner was right behind us in line and the leashed dog kept rubbing against my leg. Gross! Dog hair all over my capris.
    nadiabreckon and Dee09 like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

comments by others that imply all dog owners let their dogs do their business in stores and leave it offends me as I am a responsible dog owner that takes the step of carring a water bottle to water down the area of grass where my dog pees so it doesn't burn others lawns... so yes it does go both ways
    I did not say all dog owners would leave it, I said that it would happen and it probably will eventually.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread Information