User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree251Likes

Thread: Loblaws Buying SDM

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Mon, Jan 19th, 2015 at 04:09 PM.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I remember reading that going after luxury is the new thing because the cheap markets are already cornered by everyone and competition is rough, so this is really the newest way they can make money

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    I see a trend here: the most expensive luxury grocer coupled with the most expensive prestige cosmetics drug store and the most expensive clothing (Holt Renfrew, not Joe Fresh lol)
    lecale likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I just hope that the pharmacy records will be centralized now under Loblaws. I tried to get a prescription at a new Shoppers and they didn't even have me on file. I had to go back to the old SDM where I used to live in order for the records to stay up to date.

That doesn't sound like counselling services, catching mistakes, etc. to me?

I think Rexall will struggle too. How to compete with Canada's retail juggernaut. You can't.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    I think Rexall will struggle after this.

Now 25 % of the prescription market will be covered by Loblaws and SDM.

Those seniors and their precriptions are cash cows for SDM ..they charge $ 11.99 to count pills at SDM ..they actually make way more on these precription charges than on the actual drugs.

These pharmacist keep on talking abt. Providing other services like counselling patients , giving advice , catching mistakes yada yada ..but more often than not all they do is count pills..as they want to maximize their profits by hiring less staff and hence have very little time to spend with the customer's, counting pills and filling prescriptions and charging a ridiculous charge for doing the same is all they do thesedays.
    lecale likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Optimum will be safe for the short term, but eventually will change to PC points, i'm sure.

OPtimum is great, but I definitely have cut back on purchases the past year after the points stealing scandal.

PC points is not a great program. All my banking is PC, and 99% of my shopping is at Loblaws stores, and i don't have near the same value of points I would have from SDM for the same amount of shopping.

One thing, SDM has totally proven itself to be a badly run company the past couple of years. They did nothing but snub customers in so many ways. the bigwigs at SDM deserve to be replaced.
    walkonby, Shwa Girl and momi like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Mon, Jan 19th, 2015 at 08:48 PM.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Not good news. I just adjusted to the Optimum Program. But I am not worried about some changes because I will learn from you guys. We will share experience and give advise to each other. I am sure we can find the way how to survive in this unpredictable world of shopping. Should I stock up on SDM brands?
    LIVE SIMPLE likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

that galen weston always peeves me off.

he tries to be all down to earth, boy-next-door in the commercials, but you know he's super loaded.

it feels so fake :p
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I'd say Mr. Next Generation Weston is wanting his peer group to do more shopping at his stores. He's chasing a crowd he grew up with and now wants their shopping $$$. I wonder if that means dropping No Name items from the Loblaws grocery/Fortino's/RCSS stores and keeping them strictly in No Frills.

I think the pharmacists located in Loblaws owed stores must be wondering for their job security as well.
    torontogal12 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    that galen weston always peeves me off.

he tries to be all down to earth, boy-next-door in the commercials, but you know he's super loaded.

it feels so fake :p
    The only thing , I like about him is he is Canadian.

Rest is too fake and artificial.

Maybe the money he is saving by acting in his own company's commercials, if he put into his groceries, we would atleast have cheaper groceries at his Loblaws stores...bahahaha
    pippinelkhound and anisa like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

You can't fault the guy for making money. Anytime you walk into a Loblaws owned store you are lining his pockets. We've all done it.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Don't forget buying Weston bakeries products! Wonder Bread, D'Italiano, Ace Bakery, Country Harvest. It is called WESTON bakeries for a reason. Ever noticed you can't find Dempsters products in Loblaws stores? (I've never found them, anyway, and I've looked specifically). Dempsters is Canada Bread, which is owned by Maple Leaf Foods (the McCains).

George Weston bakeries owns Loblaws. http://www.weston.ca/en/Home.aspx.
    Last edited by torontogal12; Tue, Jul 16th, 2013 at 02:09 PM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So I wonder how long it will be before we see a spend $50 get a $10 Loblaws gift card promotion.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sisyphe View Post
    So I wonder how long it will be before we see a spend $50 get a $10 Loblaws gift card promotion.
    I personally don't think we will. What was the promo at Loblaws last week? Something like "Spend $100, get free Tide?" Can someone correct me?

The $10 off $50 is 20%. The free Tide WUS $100 is 5% (if it is the small jug of Tide that goes for $4.99, don't know the size it was)
    pippinelkhound and oscarandme like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 24th, 2015 at 11:17 AM.
    anisa, torontogal12 and oscarandme like this.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information