• 3 Post By beckie.c
  • 1 Post By alicia
  • 1 Post By oscarandme

Thread: Where to sell jewelry?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Hi all.

My mother recently passed away, and I'm starting to go through her stuff. There is some jewelry. Nothing hugely valuable, but there's some gold. I'm keeping a few things, but I'm not really a jewelry person. Where is the best place to sell these items? I'm thinking pawn shops or those gold buying places wouldn't be great. Any other ideas?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Zonny, a reputable jeweler will likely buy the gold jewelery from you. You should be able to take it in and have them tell you how much they will be willing to give you for it. If you are satisfied with the what they offer, you can take it. If not you can try another jeweler or keep hang onto it.

We have a jeweler that we deal with regularly and I took him my gold charm bracelet, which I no longer wear. In the end, I was happy with what he offered but decided to hang onto it for sentimental reasons. The charms were for my engagement, wedding, anniversaries, birthday, first house, travel destinations and each of our kids. All that was hard to let go of.
    Natalka, Zonny, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Gold-sell it at your nearest jeweller. Some places advertise in the paper or you can try the mall if independant shops are not taking in the gold.
    Now for the non-gold jewellery: if any of it is a particular style that some collectors go for, try posting on their sites or Ebay. You may also wish to consider valuation during any local antique show event (fee-based) if you think there may be something valuable worth selling through an auction house or reputable dealer.
    Most of the effort will depend on how much time you want to invest in exploring new homes for the jewellery-or if your mother's estate could stand to have the cash value to settle any debts/taxes/executor costs.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Definitely check in at like a second-hand antique/collectible style shop, we have one close to where we live that buys certain older style pieces.
    Natalka, Ciel and oscarandme like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I sold a bunch of jewelry a few years ago in Halifax. I sold it to a jewelry store on Quinpool that didn't just buy gold for scrap, but might actually re-sell some of the pieces as is.

Keep in mind if you are selling jewelry that might have valuable stones in it to remove them before you get the gold weighed. Otherwise it is just a bonus thrown in to the gold. And if you are trying to sell pieces with expensive parts - you'll get pennies on it.

My Mom had a diamond ring legitimately worth $7500 (not those highly inflated appraisals - that is what it would cost to replace it). She tried selling it on consignment, at jewelry stores like I mentioned above. She couldn't even get $500 for it, so she gave it to me instead.
    Ciel likes this.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

There is a place they advertise allot here is Recycle Frog I believe is what it is called but not certain about fairness and reputation. I have some too I should do something with. Also the The Shopping Channel does that as well, maybe check their webste. Good luck and I am sorry to hear about your mother passing. Hope you are doing okay. Thinking of you.
    Zonny likes this.

Thread Information