User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Packages of biscuits - reduction in size

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I actually hadn't noticed anything, but notice a general trend that companies think they can and should just do things without informing their customers.... it just ends up upsetting people.

I just wish prices would stop going up in general.

I was thinking about starting to buy bulk for a lot of things. No packaging, therefore less mark up, and less waste.
    ROMEO likes this.
    Getting back into trading - see my Trade and Wish Lists (under 'About Me' tab)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    57 (100%)

Quaker Harvest Crunch Cereal has gone from 750g to 500g a box
    ROMEO likes this.

Trading Score
    97 (100%)

So sneaky! Just increase the price and keep the package size the same!
    ROMEO likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nessa23 View Post
    ...I was thinking about starting to buy bulk for a lot of things. No packaging, therefore less mark up, and less waste.
    Just make sure you know your prices before you do. Many things at Bulk Barn are actually more expensive than if you bought them in store on sale.
    ROMEO, Silk, tjthemanto and 2 others like this.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

I contacted a company about them doing this also. The thing that got me is on the package they said it was a new larger size and in reality it was a smaller size (i.e. less for the same price - I still had one of the older, bigger packages at home). They sent me a letter saying due to rising costs they have to raise prices - totally missed my point. It was the dishonesty that bothered me, calling it a new larger size.

Silk
    ROMEO likes this.
    Have a great life!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Peek Freans used to be my family choice of cookies now I buy Christies cookies only on sale but I do notice that quite a lot of things went up in price but mfr shrinks the size down... Milk it's still 1L, 2 L or 4 L and some ice cream mfr still have the 2L or 1L volume designated sizes (chaps man) juice, soy and almond milk is 1.89 L wondered why?
    ROMEO likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 24th, 2015 at 06:14 PM.
    ROMEO likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

This has been going on for awhile with a lot of products. As a consumer you have to be very careful, I noticed in one flyer they had maple leaf bacon on sale for $2.44 I thought that was a great deal, but when I went to the store the package was for 375 not 500, it didn't have the size in the add, it was one of those ads that something else is hiding the size.. Also the royal toilet tissues, they have so many different packages that you really have to know what you are looking for, different number of sheets, lengh, thickness sometimes you think you're getting a deal when you're not!,
    ROMEO, Silk, lecale and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    368 (100%)

This type of practice really annoys me. I swear they "hope" that consumers won't notice.
    Another item this applies to are (Christie) Wheat Thins......all the recent coupons are for 175g (seems the new flavours are this size) however the original flavour (my preference) are 250g sized boxes. That is quite a significant change.
    All I can say is buyer beware! Know your prices/sizes and shop accordingly.
    Natalka, ROMEO and Silk like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    I contacted a company about them doing this also. The thing that got me is on the package they said it was a new larger size and in reality it was a smaller size (i.e. less for the same price - I still had one of the older, bigger packages at home). They sent me a letter saying due to rising costs they have to raise prices - totally missed my point. It was the dishonesty that bothered me, calling it a new larger size.

Silk
    Why not name them? I am sure interested in who they are.
    ROMEO likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by lghend View Post
    Sorry men! I noticed that women's hygiene products are going the same way. They used to come in boxes of 20 (you know, every 6 hours for 5 days = 20 *box recommendation*), now it's 16. So now for many, a box doesn't even last the full "week". THAT ticks me off but it's not like you can stop buying them.
    OMG. This is so true. I notice it too, but I bet they don't care as long as they have customers and in this case, we women need it ( they know they will have customers), so it is all about supply and demand. and if all of the competing companies do it, which is what is happening, then we don't really have a choice. They took advantage of our weakness
    Last edited by Freestuffrighthere; Sun, Oct 13th, 2013 at 08:43 AM.
    Natalka, ROMEO and wolfwoman like this.
    GET $5 OFF Herbal and Nutritional Items Coupon Code: XIF785 http://www.iherb.com Low shipping charges to Canada Save about 30-40% Off retail prices. 14,000+Brand-Name Herbal & Nutritional Items Pay No TAX on items!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I noticed package size changes too, and it is happening to everything, for example, shampoo and conditioners, they used to be so big and same price, but now, the bottles have got skinnier, and same price. For baked goods, I tried not to buy them by doing my own home baking, and it is healthier too, I know what I put as my indgredients
    Last edited by Freestuffrighthere; Sun, Oct 13th, 2013 at 08:53 AM.
    ROMEO likes this.
    GET $5 OFF Herbal and Nutritional Items Coupon Code: XIF785 http://www.iherb.com Low shipping charges to Canada Save about 30-40% Off retail prices. 14,000+Brand-Name Herbal & Nutritional Items Pay No TAX on items!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Lot of Toothpaste have gone from 100 ml to 75-85 ml in the oast few years for the same price
    ROMEO likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Even Costco is jumping on the bandwagon.

When we started getting the Quaker yogurt bars there were 48 in a pack for around $12-$14
    Then it dropped to 42 for about the same price.
    Went last weekend, and there are only 38 in the box for $12.

Last time we will be buying it there. You can buy a box of around 32 in most stores now - and I believe the cost per bar is cheaper.
    ROMEO likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Reviving an old thread so I don't have to start a new one.

My DM likes Dr. Oetker Mug Cakes. Haven't bought any in a couple of months, and saw they were on sale during the RCSS no tax day. Just opened up one to discover that they have kept the same packaging, same size box, but now there is only 1 mug cake mix instead of 2!
    I wouldn't even mind that they decreased the number of mixes, but at least change the packaging to reflect that! Of course it does say 1 serving in the lower corner now, but when everything else looked exactly the same, I didn't think to check if the serving size had changed.

And you can't even say was on sale because it was a smaller pack - the last time I bought them they were on sale for the same price.
    ROMEO, wolfwoman and BumbleB like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information