User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree189Likes

Thread: In Flanders Fields where Poppies Blow

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

In memory of my great uncle Eusebe who volunteered for the 22nd "Van Doos" Montreal Battalion during WWI. He was hospitalized with a wounded foot, and died, probably of gangrene, in hospital June 29, 1916. All of his pay was sent home to his widowed mother. He married shortly before he went to France and never came back. He is in the Wimereux war cemetery in France.
    Last edited by French Lady; Tue, Nov 5th, 2013 at 01:50 PM.
    Jina, Natalka, TaraF and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

The 2013 Veterans’ Week poster is a visual journey through time. Photos of Canadian military personnel from the First World War, the Second World War, the Korean War and modern-day missions, whose courage and valour served Canada through periods of armed conflict and peace, are layered from the background to the foreground.
    Prominently placed at the top are images of current Canadian Armed Forces missions, including Afghanistan, along with more subtle images of the First World War. Other sepia-toned images of the Second World War and greyscale images of the Korean War take us further on the journey. Rich, full-colour images at the poster’s centre depict Veterans and modern-day members and missions of the Canadian Armed Forces.
    A close-up image of a 60-year-old Korean War photo in the hands of a Canadian Veteran captures the eye. This focal point invites each of us to join the Veteran in remembering his Korean War experience.
    The film strip imagery evokes the evolution from wartime to present-day missions.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

National Memorial (Silver) Cross Mother for 2013-2014

Mrs. Niki Psiharis from Laval, Quebec.

Mrs. Psiharis lost her youngest son, Sergeant Chris Karigiannis, when an improvised explosive device struck his vehicle approximately 40km west of Kandahar City, Afghanistan on 20 June 2007 - less than two months from his scheduled return home in August.
    As the National Memorial (Silver) Cross Mother, Mrs. Psiharis will lay a wreath at the National War Memorial on 11 November 2013 on behalf of all Canadian mothers who have lost a son or a daughter in the military either in action or in the course of his/her normal duty.
    Mrs. Psiharis' other sons Peter and Spiro will be at the ceremony. Her spouse, Mr. Anastasios Karigiannis, passed away from cancer in 1990.

For the past four years, Mrs Psiharis has travelled with students from her son's former High School to the Remembrance Day ceremonies in Ottawa and has been a motivating factor to get these same students to complete more than 100,000 volunteer hours in the community during this same time period. Mrs. Psiharis is an exemplary citizen who has been able to maintain a positive outlook in spite of her terrible loss.

Battle Group: ISAF (International Security Assistance Force)
    Regiment
    : Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry

Karigiannis was an expert marksman and a member of the elite Skyhawks Canadian Forces Parachutist Team - the army's equivalent of the Snowbirds flying team.

Jina, Crochetlady and SnowFlakey like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

DH and I and having our citizenship ceremony at a veteran's health centre this Thursday and we couldn't be happier about this particular location.
    We will proudly wear the poppy on that occasion. Not only we will become proud Canadians, but we will also remember all the Canadian soldiers.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

How wonderful, Jina! Congrats!
    Jina likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    How wonderful, Jina! Congrats!
    Thanks Natalka.
    We missed our first ceremony in August because the letters got lost in the mail, but this time the location and date are far better. Makes it even more special
    Natalka and SnowFlakey like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I always get a lump in my throat when I think about Remembrance Day.

Dh served years ago. He knew that the government had two metals for his service. Imagine our surprise when he received his metal for his dress uniform last month. It was delivered via Purolator (where dh works). It is complicated and not something that he ever wanted to recieve.
    Natalka, TaraF and SnowFlakey like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Jina View Post
    DH and I and having our citizenship ceremony at a veteran's health centre this Thursday and we couldn't be happier about this particular location.
    We will proudly wear the poppy on that occasion. Not only we will become proud Canadians, but we will also remember all the Canadian soldiers.
    Congratulations Jina!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We came over to Canada in 1950 and i was too Young to remember our Canadian Citizenship swearing in. But i can tell you i have never been happier that they decided on Canada as their home.
    Jina, Natalka, TaraF and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Congrats Jina!

I find it such a shame that as the years go on it seems that people remember less and less. It was so incredibly hard for me to find a poppy box that I was just going to go down to the legion and grab one. My Grandfather served in WWII, I was looking through old photo albums recently and came across a notice in the paper that he was shipped overseas.

Name:  561566_10152526960435258_1895967529_n.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  99.4 KB

My Uncle served in the Korean war and my husband is a veteran of the United States Marine Corps. So for me it's easy to remember but I guess if you've never known someone that's served and as the wars of old fade, you forget. It's a shame really.

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TaraF View Post
    Congrats Jina!

I find it such a shame that as the years go on it seems that people remember less and less. It was so incredibly hard for me to find a poppy box that I was just going to go down to the legion and grab one. My Grandfather served in WWII, I was looking through old photo albums recently and came across a notice in the paper that he was shipped overseas.

Name:  561566_10152526960435258_1895967529_n.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  99.4 KB

My Uncle served in the Korean war and my husband is a veteran of the United States Marine Corps. So for me it's easy to remember but I guess if you've never known someone that's served and as the wars of old fade, you forget. It's a shame really.
    What a great keepsake! I Wonder if you can someone preserve this newspaper clipping before it gets any worse. This would be something fantastic to show your kids and grandkids and their kids in the years to come.
    Natalka and TaraF like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

"I find it such a shame that as the years go on it seems that people remember less and less. It was so incredibly hard for me to find a poppy box that I was just going to go down to the legion and grab one. My Grandfather served in WWII, I was looking through old photo albums recently and came across a notice in the paper that he was shipped overseas."

Yes, I learned the story of my great uncle Eusebe while researching my mother's family history. He's never mentioned in my family, as are other male relatives who went off to fight during the two World Wars. The only male relative who is talked about is one who achieved a rank of Surgeon-General in the French Army, and he didn't have to sacrifice his life during war. I find this sad, so I do what I can to keep the memories of those who seem forgotten alive.
    Last edited by French Lady; Wed, Nov 6th, 2013 at 12:58 PM.
    Natalka, TaraF and SnowFlakey like this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Snowflakey, I was wondering about preserving it as well but what kind of place would I take it?

Name:  lest we forget.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  39.0 KB

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TaraF View Post
    Snowflakey, I was wondering about preserving it as well but what kind of place would I take it?

Name:  lest we forget.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  39.0 KB
    I think my first step would be to bring it to an independent camera or photo store that does framing also. If they dont do it there, maybe they would have a suggestion where to bring it. That is a wonderful keepsake and i hope you can find a place to have it preserved.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

On the CBC website, they have an amazing listing of links to articles, videos, etc. - not just CBC stuff.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/rememb...-news-1.868307
    SnowFlakey likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information