User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: U.S woman to hand out notes to overweight children on Halloween

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

I am not even sure where to start with this. A woman in North Dakota said she will not be refusing candy to any children that may go trick or treating at her home on Halloween, but any child that she believes to be obese will be receiving a letter attached to their candy. Her mission? She hopes the parents will read it and take it as a wake up call of sorts to help their children.

Can we say that bullying is being taken to a whole new level? Thoughts? You can read the article HERE, but take a gander of the note below.

Name:  nasty.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  31.9 KB
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    vesper likes this.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Your child is **

I can be compassionate with her being concerned for a child's health. Her note isn`t exactly offensive - wording could be more assaulting.

I would not take the time to write such notes and look a child up and down on my door step. But hey, thats just me.
    snuffaluffagus and vesper like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

If she thinks that note is going to help anyone she is mistaken.If she is so concerned about obesity then give out stickers or sugar free gum to all children and forgo the candy completely.Personally If my child received this note from her I would be tempted to try the old flaming bag of dog poop on her door step!!!Yup I am immature like that.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 24th, 2015 at 06:37 PM.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

I don't find it terribly offensive either but, I do find it lacking class. Not sure if her approach will work as I see more parents on the defensive instead of considering her message.

We don't hand out candy and stuff either only because we know children get more than enough of it elsewhere. We give the pure fruit juice boxes and this year, I've also picked up sidewalk chalk, bubbles, and skipping ropes.
    ~RRLF $0.75 Organic Meadow, $1 Almond Fresh~

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't have children but if my child received a note like this I would be angry. I agree with lecale. She should stick to handing out sitckers, mini flashlights etc.

If she is concerned about child obesity, find a positive and helpful way. Volunteer your services or education through proper channels.
    DiamondLil, TaraF, lecale and 5 others like this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

I don't have children either but I can't be the only one that finds it ironic that she is looking to school some parents on their childrens weight while essentially feeding the problem by giving them candy. As others mentioned, she could easily hand out none food items or healthy food items to all of the children instead of singling out the children she feels are obese. OR she could save herself some money, save herself some embarrassment and save some potential children some embarrassment and retaliation of angry parents by shutting her light off and not handing anything out for Halloween.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

1) lots of children bulk out before a growth spurt..that's normal and not being overweight at all..

2) overweight doesn't equal unhealthy in the same way that skinny equals healthy. Many professional sports players are above BMI limits due to muscle mass rather than fat mass.

3) If she really wants to set an example...she shouldn't be hiding behind a note nor giving semi-anonymous interviews..she should be stepping up and being proud of her stance.

4) as others have said...either pretend to be out of the house or give non-food or healthy food treats..my local dentists hand out tooth-brushes, flosses, low sugar treats, the fruit shops apples or other fruit/veggies..toys are always good too.

Re: is it offensive??

IMNSHO...Yes. It's judging a child and by extension the parent's , on a brief( what less than 30 secs??) interaction... There's no attempt to allow for ANY other factor than over-feeding of unhealthy food...no though about her own perceptions of her ideal body shape.

As a former anorexic..judging children or young adults simply by thier body shape is highly damaging..It makes impressionable folk try to attain an unobtainable but socially desired form..body as social currency.

It's worse for young women as the socially desired form is super skinny with a moderate butt but biggish boobs. Males do get to have defined muscles and a more physically healthy body shape.
    DiamondLil, TaraF, lecale and 4 others like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

Unsolicited advise given under the guise of trying to 'help' is often unwelcome and offensive. This woman is setting herself up as the local expert on children's weight and that hardly qualifies as doing her part in "taking a village'. Getting out in the cul de sac with a soccer ball with the neighbourhood kids every evening for an hour would probably provide a more positive outcome for everyone. She might want to consider doing something like that to encourage parents and kids rather than to judge them. Glad she doesn't live in my neighbourhood.
    Last edited by DianneS; Thu, Oct 31st, 2013 at 01:11 AM.
    So many coupons....so little time!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Let the discrimination lawsuits begin. Attaching a note to candy like that tells the kid they are different and it isn't ok... and it is ok for anybody to treat you differently based upon that... even adults. What good are bullying laws when adults are allowed to do the same? Yeash some people just are not happy until they are putting others down... it is pretty low to do that to kids. Healthy Halloween treats are a option too if she doesn't like giving out sugar... some give out pencils or other things.

I am not saying that obesity is healthy here... I am saying how is a child supposed to stand up to a bully when we allow adults to do the same. (some curvy woman or big fella is going to be taking their kids out halloweening... any bets to how long until she gets a black eye?)
    DiamondLil and TaraF like this.
    Swagbucks, Earn 30 - $50 a month in surveys plus cash backs on your spending. You have to work at it, but it is WORTH it and it can help you buy some Christmas presents for free with Amazon gift cards or paypal payments. Referral link http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/cheekysaver

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Here is the radio show she was on
    TaraF likes this.
    Swagbucks, Earn 30 - $50 a month in surveys plus cash backs on your spending. You have to work at it, but it is WORTH it and it can help you buy some Christmas presents for free with Amazon gift cards or paypal payments. Referral link http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/cheekysaver

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

cheekysaver thank you for finding that interview. After listening to the caller who was talking about "the village", I think we found their idiot.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

So if she sees kids that are very slim, is she gonna give them extra candy?

My psychic senses tell me she is in for a tornado of eggings, toilet paper and flaming bags of poo....

I agree with the posters above, if she is so concerned about childhood obesity, she should have given out non candy treats. I think the woman is out for her 15 minutes of fame, but its unfortunate she is doing this by bullying children she thinks are fluffier.
    lecale and vesper like this.
    The average dog
    is nicer
    than the average person.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

so the kids she views as normal, or acceptable, deserve to be fattened up by her candy?

i don't get it.
    TaraF, thriftygranny and vesper like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Being an overweight child this would have mortified me. It was bad enough when you have "well meaning " adults saying do you really need to eat that.

She is a piece of garbage. This falls way into the NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS category.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information