User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By cliff
  • 1 Post By jasperandchar

Thread: Vacation Pay 2013

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I know this isn't really personal finance, but I was wondering...if I am a part-time employee am I entitled to vacation pay at the end of the year? I should also add that I have only been with the employer for around 7 months. I currently work part time and my boss usually rights me a cheque - they do not use a payroll company like ADP - so due to this I never receive a proper slip of how much of my wages goes to taxes etc. So I have waited abotu a month unsure if I should ask about vacation pay or not. If anyone could shed light on this it would be great :D
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by cliff; Mon, Jan 27th, 2014 at 10:37 AM.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Sounds to me like you are getting paid under the table (just my 2 cents worth), you should be getting a real paystub that shows your deductions/contributions. And yes part-time employees are entitled to vacation pay but I would ask your boss for a real pay stub to start with and then go from there, good luck
    Ciel likes this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Sounds to me like you might be getting paid under the table (just my 2 cents), you should be getting a real pay cheque that shows your deductions/contributions. And yes part-time employees are entitled to vacation pay but I would ask your boss for a real pay stub to start with and then go from there, good luck
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Vacation pay-it depends if work holds it back until you take vacation or pays it each pay period (4%).
    Yes, you should be getting a pay stub from whatever accounting program work is using. Most businesses are using software for keeping their financial records. Can't wait to learn how T-4s will be done in your workplace-by hand??

The only variation on the pay stub rule is if pays are direct deposit and workplace is wanting to go the no-paper route, then you have to log into personal account with HR to look up pay information/print slips.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Call employment standards in your province and ask.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

its usually done through the CRA deductions site but it doesnt show vacation pay or anything. But thank you for all your advice everyone!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Employers can choose to pay vacation and holiday on each chq, or once a year or at another set rate, so best to ask them what their policy is.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

does anyone know if there are any exemptions? or is it mandatory for employees (regardless of pt ) to get paid?

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

cliff, since we don't know where you are, we can't find you the info since each province is different.
    You can just try google your province and it's regulations for vacation pay for part-time employees.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

My friend works PT only abt 15-20 hrs per week , that too through a temping agency ( employment agency ) and he was told vacation pay is compulsory ( apparently ) under the employment standards act ( ESA )

He is ON , maybe ESA is diff for diff provinces

So every pay cheque ( weekly ) ..he gets paid 4 % of his hours worked as vacation pay

I guees they can pay him each period or accumulated ..he prefers each period.

I have done quite a few PT jobs including retail and was always paid vacation pay , either accrued or per pay cheque.

Even when I quit , I was given all my unpaid vacation pay wihout asking automatically ..nice lump sum for me
    Last edited by tjthemanto; Tue, Jan 28th, 2014 at 12:26 AM.

tightwad and proud of it! brunt's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Thank you so much everyone I am in Ontario and all your replies have really helped

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cliff View Post
    Thank you so much everyone I am in Ontario and all your replies have really helped
    Yeah just check Ministry of Labour and Employnent Standards Act ( ESA ) , their website should answer most of your questions.

Most employers are pretty scared of ESA and Ministry of Labour in ON and don't want to be in violation of it.

So even if you bluff or threaten them with going to Ministry of Labour if they are in violation of the ESA , they usually tow the line..as the last thing they want is Ministry of Labour investigating them for workplace violations ..especially safety & wages ..because lot of other nonsense thats going on in these companies also comes to light , not just your individual problem.

So a whole can of worms is opened involving other employees too when you file a complaint with the ministry ( in case you are mistreated ) and that's the last thing the HR of the company wants.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Put your request in writing to the owner and make sure you have a copy too. If you have e-mail, that's another way to try to make the issue dealt with.

Or just give the folks at Employment Standards a heads-up on your situation...
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Thread Information