• 2 Post By canadascouponeer
  • 1 Post By super807
  • 1 Post By anisa
  • 1 Post By torontogal12

Thread: Target return policy - the trouble with coupons

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Mom has complained a few times about returning items to the nearby Target. She gets the third degree because there happen to be coupons used on the entire receipt

This time, she had bought some Mazola oil but when she got home she saw it was only a few days from expiry so she took it back. But they kept saying she had used coupons (but I don't think there are coupons for Mazola). She said she felt like she was being treated as if she had done something wrong.

Both times this has happened, they process the return as a no receipt return, even though she clearly has the original one with her. She is really annoyed because she doesn't want to be fl agged in their system as a serial no receipt returner

Just wanted to get other people's experience so we can figure out if it is a problem at this location in particular, or chain wide

Thanks!
    This thread is currently associated with: Target
    Last edited by torontogal12; Tue, Jan 28th, 2014 at 01:50 PM.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

are they trying to deduct the coupon amount from the amount they return to her?

so weird!
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

No they are processing it for the price she paid. The excuse was "the computer won't let me make any return when any manufacturer coupons are used on the receipt." That's the excuse they use to process it as no receipt returns.

Sounds like BS to me. Buy a ton of items and use one coupon and the whole receipt becomes void for any returns?

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    are they trying to deduct the coupon amount from the amount they return to her?

so weird!
    Last edited by torontogal12; Tue, Jan 28th, 2014 at 02:00 PM.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    53 (100%)

That is total BS. There is no such rule. I have returned things many times where there are coupons on the receipt. I have even returned stuff I paid for with both Target coupon and manufacturer coupon. If I was you/your mom I would definitely bring this up to the store manager because there is no such rule and employees should not be making stuff up, and then try to enforce it. Just one thing to note is that when you are returning something you paid partly with a Target coupon, you will not get the value of the Target coupon back in cash, or gift card. But if you used a manufacturer coupon to pay for it, you will either get cash back for the value of the coupon, or have the value put on a gift card.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

That is strange. Other stores do returns when coupons are used, even if a coupon is used to purchase that product. The coupon is in their system, so it will be processed to get refunded by the manufacturer. Haven't done any returns to Target yet, so haven't had the experience.

btw, yes, there is a coupon for Mazola. It's a $0.75 coupon, one version available as a printable SS, the other was in one of the little baking booklets.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

yup, sounds like the person processing the return, or whoever is in charge and told the employees to process returns that way, is taking the coupon usage personally and just making stuff up to punish customers
    torontogal12 likes this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

The only trouble I've run into with this is when the item shows a "refund value" and they claim that they can only give me back that much because that's "all I paid for it", which isn't true. Does anybody know if it's possible on Target's system to enter coupons after each item? I know the cashiers usually wait until the end, but I wonder if you could find a friendly one who would be willing to do it that way, if it's possible of course. I also don't know if it would just automatically go to the end of the receipt anyway, regardless of when it was entered in. That's one of the things that I like more about Walmart, because you are able to do it in this way so less likely to have issues when returning, as the coupons will show up right under the item they were used for.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I've examined them on this before. No matter when the cashier enters the coupon, it appears at the end of the receipt.

Re: my parents, I think it is the cashiers making up rules but it has been several different people so I'm guessing this is just a bad location.

Maybe if they didn't sell stuff close to expiry people wouldn't have to return them for a big hassle LOL

I just don't see why if you bought 10 items and used ONE coupon why you have such a hassle to return anything you bought on that receipt. What's the logic behind this?
    Quote Originally Posted by sun_shine View Post
    The only trouble I've run into with this is when the item shows a "refund value" and they claim that they can only give me back that much because that's "all I paid for it", which isn't true. Does anybody know if it's possible on Target's system to enter coupons after each item? I know the cashiers usually wait until the end, but I wonder if you could find a friendly one who would be willing to do it that way, if it's possible of course. I also don't know if it would just automatically go to the end of the receipt anyway, regardless of when it was entered in. That's one of the things that I like more about Walmart, because you are able to do it in this way so less likely to have issues when returning, as the coupons will show up right under the item they were used for.
    Last edited by torontogal12; Wed, Jan 29th, 2014 at 03:17 PM.
    sun_shine likes this.

Thread Information