User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Duct Cleaning

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I get a least 3 calls a week for duct cleaning. The last time I asked for the company name and called them back. Big surprise that I went to voicemail. I just left the phone off the hook hoping to fill up the vm box.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Candini and luckbealady like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

What works better is answering and telling them to put your number on the do not call list.
    You can also put your number on the federal do not call list.

Yes, I know, calls like this are irritating... and some find their way around anything!
    hollyquaiscer, lecale and Candini like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

They haven't called us for awhile I guess they got tired of hearing that we didn't have any ducks that need cleaning, however we have plenty of dirty chickens.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I first misread the title of your post as "Dust" Cleaning - and I was going to say I just draw pictures in my dust.

The duct cleaning phone calls are irritating. I had some when I lived in an apartment building - there was one where I told them I didn't have any ducts, and then the guy said I had a nice voice and asked if I'd sing for him - that was creepy.
    You can definitely ask to have your number removed from their calling list. It's law that they have to obey (although when I was briefly a telemarketer for a cc we had to inform the customer that it could be 30 days before it happened). Of course, chances are it doesn't matter because the companies aren't really legit anyway.
    There's been many issues with the federal Do Not Call List, because it only applies to Canada (so your number can be sold to call centers outside the country); there is little fining and prosecution going on with perpetrators; and if you register your cell phone, many telemarketers now have a number they weren't able to get before.

For anyone interested, there have been lots of studies done that duct cleaning is not even needed (even IF your ducts are dirty) - and in many cases cleaning will make things worse. The reason being is that there is usually moisture inside the ducts, so it's not just loose dust flying around - it sticks and doesn't go anywhere. Companies that come in and clean will make dust and dirt move through your ducts more - and there are also companies that use chemicals/sprays to "clean", and these cleaners again can be harmfully spread through your house by the ducts.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 24th, 2015 at 09:35 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

OMG! I used to get this kind of calls several times per day including weekends and late hours. Also rude calls from Bell Canada.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Some of my favourite responses to these calls (not that I've tried myself)
    - give the phone to your child telling them Santa is on the phone
    - tell them you need to ask your spouse and set the phone down for 5 minutes before going back and telling them your not interested
    - come up with something to sell them with your own script to read ie: farm animals while making it sound like your in the barn lol
    ROMEO, hollyquaiscer, newb and 8 others like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I admit it, I have used profanity. I was nice for so long, really explained that we simply did not need or want that service, have asked them so politely not to call again as we will not change our minds ever. Ugh! Now I slam down the receiver hard 3 or 4 times and yell f off. My karma may be out of whack now, oops

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Decaf View Post
    Also rude calls from Bell Canada.
    They were fined a lot of money for those calls.
    ROMEO, hollyquaiscer, newb and 4 others like this.

New trade list
    Trading Score
    237 (100%)

I start talking Italian and they actually hang up on me. They called 2 days later and same thing called the next day and same thing. They actually stopped calling. It's been 4 months now.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I attempt to initiate creepy phone sex, or hand it over to my children. Depends if Daddy is in the room
    Both scenarios work.
    Still laughing over "dirty chickens" friggin loved that LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ROMEO, hollyquaiscer, newb and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

These calls have been back for the past few weeks now. GRRRRR.
    I have a baby at home and this is driving me crazy! I already have a short fuse because I lack sleep and wasting my time answering these calls is definitely not what I need! I have to answer because DH calls sometimes, or it could be from DS1's school, or doctor's appointment, but I HATE wasting my time with these telemarketers!

Air Duct Cleaning Services from East Toronto.
    Anyone else?
    ROMEO, hollyquaiscer, newb and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

I'm on the DNC list, and I must say, it really does work. Prior to that, I used to get calls all the time, especially from furnace and duct cleaning companies. They would just go silent when I would tell them that I didn't have a roof on my home so cleaning my ducts was the last thing I was really concerned about. They weren't sure if I was joking or serious.....just the way I like it, keep them guessing!
    Crochetlady and amira84 like this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    247 (100%)

On the studies maby so but I worked for a great guy and we went into a lot of houses and they needed it bad we did the glove and mirror test and even showed the customers how dirty it is. With Ontario duct cleaning and two others in town we had to re do there work as they just blow dust around and don't clean like you said and they got booted out as they are big time scammers. My ex didn't listen and got screwed $400 there was so much dirt everywhere . But a lot of houses need it . Take off a air return off your wall and hold a mirror down with a light and you will see if you need it . But be carefull if you do get it done and watch and make sure they have a thick return hose that's hooked to side of furnace beside the air return to the truck and let them show you inside to make sure it's down right.

Quote Originally Posted by luckbealady View Post
    I first misread the title of your post as "Dust" Cleaning - and I was going

to say I just draw pictures in my dust.

The duct cleaning phone calls are irritating. I had some when I lived in an apartment building - there was one where I told them I didn't have any ducts, and then the guy said I had a nice voice and asked if I'd sing for him - that was creepy.
    You can definitely ask to have your number removed from their calling list. It's law that they have to obey (although when I was briefly a telemarketer for a cc we had to inform the customer that it could be 30 days before it happened). Of course, chances are it doesn't matter because the companies aren't really legit anyway.
    There's been many issues with the federal Do Not Call List, because it only applies to Canada (so your number can be sold to call centers outside the country); there is little fining and prosecution going on with perpetrators; and if you register your cell phone, many telemarketers now have a number they weren't able to get before.

For anyone interested, there have been lots of studies done that duct cleaning is not even needed (even IF your ducts are dirty) - and in many cases cleaning will make things worse. The reason being is that there is usually moisture inside the ducts, so it's not just loose dust flying around - it sticks and doesn't go anywhere. Companies that come in and clean will make dust and dirt move through your ducts more - and there are also companies that use chemicals/sprays to "clean", and these cleaners again can be harmfully spread through your house by the ducts.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

I don't know why recently I am getting this kind of calls again, already registered with DNCL when they first introduced (a few years ago).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information