User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: Do you ever hold up the line (and feel bad about it?)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

oy this happened to me too and it was crazy busy. the cashier was fine too and some in line looked curious but the optimum people understood. wish they had a few larger carts as the small ones are super awkward on pts days and redemption days.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

OP, I don't think you are holding up the line at Shoppers. Sometimes Shoppers don't have enough cashiers and as the line gets long, some Shoppers don't add a cashier.

I think it is poor customer service that makes the line long.

If there is more than one cashier and our order is complicated and takes time, we tell the person (s) behind us that we will be taking some time and wanted to warn them.

If there is only one person behind us with one or two items and we are next in line, we ask if they want to go ahead.

Some behind us, with a large order, say they will stay because they are curious about our shopping deals
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Mon, Apr 28th, 2014 at 05:47 PM.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    74 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    I think it is poor customer service that makes the line long.
    truer words have never been said....

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I don't completely agree, they could open another cash but they work out how many are open based on normal consumption. I think we can all agree that couponers and normal consumption do not go hand in hand. Look at the people in front of you next time, how many have more than 5 items? That is their business model (and how they make money because if everyone took advantage like we do, Optimum would not be viable)
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I feel guilty and often let people with only a few items go ahead of me.
    Ciel, Anna Michele and amangx like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    183 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    I don't completely agree, they could open another cash but they work out how many are open based on normal consumption. I think we can all agree that couponers and normal consumption do not go hand in hand. Look at the people in front of you next time, how many have more than 5 items? That is their business model (and how they make money because if everyone took advantage like we do, Optimum would not be viable)
    Agree with Fallen on this one - we are probably about 1/50 customers that they get (if not a higher ratio) ... I see people use their Optimum card but rarely with the emailed and mailed personalized offers and rarely any coupons ... but when it's a 20x pts Saturday they must be able to anticipate how many shoppers like us will grace their doors - no?

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I live in BC and they often advertise the 20x the points on local radio on the day of (i heard at least one ad every hour while driving(. Its the store's (and SDM's) responsibility to have all registers open (and not just one) with an additional cashier to cover breaks.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I did a large transaction once at SDM on a 20x day and it was a nightmare. I had tons of things so went early in the morning. I waited until no one was at cash or even looking like they were near to cashing out, but as soon as they start my order boom 5 people line up. I ask cashier to call up another cashier and she says she is the only cashier working. I had tons of coupons and she had a problem with most of them even though they were all good coupons, so that took extra long. Customers were giving me dirty looks and muttering under their breath (although loud enough for everyone to hear) all the while the line continued to grow. It was very uncomfortable, I ended up letting a few of the coupons go just to get it over with so ended up spending more than I wanted to. I thought it was ridiculous that there was no one she could call up to cash to help, surely a manager would have opened a till foe 15 minutes to get people through. In the end everyone was pissed off including me...don't like to be the bad guy especially as I was trying to do the right thing to avoid just this situation.
    Ciel and Anna Michele like this.

Expert in My Town :) thriftymom75's Avatar
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Usually at SDM I don't care lol. I get so many deals there and people behind me should take lessons lmao.. Especially those that don't use the optimum card lol. But most of the time they call for another till to be open . At walmart, if I have lots of coupons i usually tell the person behind me that I have lots of coupons. But I used to feel bad when I first started couponing... Not so much anymore.... If they don't like it, go to another till

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

The way I see it, if SDM only has one till open, you could be stuck behind someone with 3 carts full and no coupons - it is the same thing
    jsmile, Ciel, thriftymom75 and 1 others like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

They should have a system in place when you are redeeming maximum points etc. to accommodate large transactions and facilitate quick transactions at the same time. I don't think I should have to go to the 24 hr Shoppers at 3 am so that I don't hear the groans, sighs, comments etc behind me. If you are a loyal shoppers drug mart customer who achieves these reward levels, they should do a better job making it a rewarding experience. The optimum points program has been around long enough and they should have a plan to address this. I tell them when I enter that I will be redeeming max points so they have time to prepare for this. When you have bonus redemption days they should open one of their lanes for you. I don't think the customer should feel this need to avoid inconveniencing any other customer. Perhaps train the greeting perfume person to take a break from helloing everyone and have them handle these transactions at a separate cash register.
    Ciel, MillieH and Anna Michele like this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

You could be redeeming for one item like a camera though
    I find more people have problems when shopping on 20x than redeeming (they usually have extra staff on redemption days and special events. Mine was packed full of staff for the gala today)
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

It would be great if the pharmacy owners would scrap the little shopping carts for the two-tiered ones we see at Sobeys or Fortinos esp on weekend deal dates when pop/detergent/bathroom tissue is priced to move.
    Cashiers-I sometimes think more checkouts are built than will ever be open on busy days. Also, it could be a budget move-so many cashiers for promo days because otherwise store is quiet and there is nothing for staff to do.
    MillieH and Anna Michele like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    It would be great if the pharmacy owners would scrap the little shopping carts for the two-tiered ones we see at Sobeys or Fortinos esp on weekend deal dates when pop/detergent/bathroom tissue is priced to move.
    Cashiers-I sometimes think more checkouts are built than will ever be open on busy days. Also, it could be a budget move-so many cashiers for promo days because otherwise store is quiet and there is nothing for staff to do.
    I'd love a different cart style - I understand the little cart because of their small aisles, and the fact that they used to be more pharmacy/small items oriented. But now with their expanding grocery sections, the carts don't work - heck, a pack of toilet paper pretty much takes up the whole thing!

But what I'd love even more is a cart park in the parking lot, and a way to return carts without having to go back in the store and walk all the way around!
    Ciel, MillieH and Anna Michele like this.

Expert in My Town :) thriftymom75's Avatar
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

They actually put large carts in our shoppers last year. And we are just a small town in AB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ciel and Anna Michele like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information