User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Sobey's Queenston going to Freshco and Fortinos Eastgate No Frills SuperStore

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Do you go to the Ottawa Street Farmers' Market? http://hamiltoneatlocal.blogspot.com/
    Just for European grocery comparison shopping, visit Punjab Market, just behind the Shell station at Cent. Pky and Queenston Rd. You'll see some of the same that you saw at Starsky's unless Punjab Market changed its lineup of groceries to reflect current competiton in the area.

Speaking of farmer's markets-someone sells produce on King St. @Gray's Rd (Sty Crk) just a door or so from the lights on south side. I saw it two years ago in August. Whoever gardens sells eggplants and a decent variety of vegetables, so you might take the 58-Stoney Creek Local in and have time for quick shop then catch the local bus its next trip or walk up Gray's to Hwy 8 and Fiesta Mall. And eyeball the condo construction across the street on former Stoney Creek Dairy site. That's my produce tip if you want to shop on weekends. Bring your own bags and coins/small bills for your exact amount purchases.

If you feel like taking a long Saturday trip to Ancaster, the 5-Delaware West Hamilton bus runs from downtown on weekends into the Meadowlands and ends its run on one side the road by Sobey's (Extra). When 44-Rymal bus gets weekend service (by Sept if not July)-the bus is a quicker way into Ancaster from Eastgate (about 35-40min) but bus only connects with 16-Ancaster on the far side of town (hourly Ancaster service on Sat only which is what the regulars put up with; no Sunday service) or you'd have to walk up (30min plus another 10 to get to Sobey's) Kitty Murray Rd (past 4 traffic calming circles) from Rymal (called Garner Rd in part of Ancaster).

It just might be better to do a late night Friday trip because Sobeys is a 24h store and the 5-Delaware service is there. You could take the last Beeline into McMaster U, get off at the 1st stop by the gallery and then wait for the 5C to take you into Meadowlands. Don't take the Beeline (Main West/University) that goes IN FRONT of Mac Hospital because the 5C bus could be packed by that stop next to the hospital (been there, done that only after supper time on weeknights when coming home from Toronto via GO express bus a few blocks away...)
    Last edited by Ciel; Tue, Jun 17th, 2014 at 03:26 PM.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Love the Wong Wing deal, Anna Michele! Wow.
    Anna Michele likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I rarely go to that area..ottawa/gage.. I have no purpose to go there, I don't even go to center mall anymore since the new wal mart is now near the highway and target is close to me(2 mins away)
    I also prefer that walmart because it has a food section which I sometimes check out. their salmon is such a good deal! it's like 13 bucks or so but it's a huge piece! when you compare to fortino's it's so much cheaper at walmart!
    sometimes my dad goes to the ottawa farmer's market. so I'll ask him to pick me up a couple things..it's usually on his way to work. but I don't really go that far myself.

Oh I'v seen that Punjab market, you know where value village is..or was haven't been there lately don't know if it's still there, beside there there used to be a farmer's market..I don't know if it's still there or not but that one was pretty good too! it was big like a grocery store they had a lot of stuff there!
    King and Grey's I'll have to check that out. I rarely go there too..lol that's the problem beacuse everything used to be so close to my house all my grocery need's that is ..anywho, my brother lives in stoney creek, at hwy 8 intersection so that's near there if I'm ever going to his house I'll check out the one at king and grey, I'm interested to see!

I think Ancaster might be too far off, I never go there..it's nice there but it's a PITA going all the way to downtown and then going from downtown either up the mountain or to ancaster. I just don't like taking so many buses..takes up a lot of time by the time I come home it'll be late and I'll be exhausted, I just want to be able to come home cook dinner and still have time to relax without feeling exhausted, also in the heat..food goes bad, usually in the summertime when I go grocery shopping I take a medium sized cooler with me and pack it with ice because it's the only way, esp. if I buy things like yogurt and cheese and milk and stuff and meat especially.
    I just want the closest solution..a lot of people live in the queenston area and esp. now that they're building more houses down the road..it just really sucks. 2 of my faveourite grocery stores.
    but I guess I'm just gonna have to live with the fact that there will be no more Fortino's and Sobey's

also! another thing the Fortino's in stoney creek isn't exactly the same, you know at Eastgate where the chicken wings are and across from that the rotisserie chicken's are? and beside that there's those like ready to eat dinners with like chicken pieces and mashed potatoes or rice, I love those! they don't have those at stoney creek fortinos I don't even think you could buy them separately because I only saw a couple chicken wings there.. / I bought them separately once at eastgate fortinos but I it came out a lot more expensive! so not worth it and the packaged ones are like $6-7. I just feel like in some stuff there's more of a selection with the eastgate fortinos.
    /sorry for the long post.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

If you are shopping by bus, check out Metro's insulated bags, my shopping is always still cold/frozen when I get home. They are a bit more expensive than the reg reusable ones obviously
    Anna Michele and JDI007 like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Oh good to know thank you! if I'm ever there I'll check them out/ I noticed Starsky has some of those bags..do you know if they work the same?/ are any good?

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I have a large Compliments insulated bag-good for walks home from Fortino's as I never got around to buying the Stoney Creek dairy ones that used to be sold in the store.

I think you should see if Sobeys @Nash has the bags marked down!

I was last in the Fiesta Fortino's in the fall. Might take a peek tomorrow to see if the new store is still under construction. Used to shop at the Eastgate Fortino's after part-time job last summer/early fall-loved that Joe Fresh section and housewares! And the cherry pop!

Any chance of using up Club Sobeys points or donating them?
    https://www.clubsobeys.com/Members/Donate-Points.aspx
    Last edited by Ciel; Tue, Jun 17th, 2014 at 10:51 PM.
    Anna Michele likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Oh yea I liked their Joe Fresh clothing too and the housewares/ I'll check out Sobey's for their bags too they do have some you're right.
    /don't have club sobey's. don't collect those points.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

The Sobeys bags are good too but they have an opening at the top. The Metro ones have a velcro seal around the top rather than just a zip
    Ciel and JDI007 like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Good to know that Metro bags are better-will check Westdale Metro on way back home. Thanks for the tip, FallenPixels!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Sobey's-25% off everything in-store cards were visible in produce, meats, endcaps, etc.

Three grocery endcaps away from checkouts (where Gatorade is stocked on upper shelves), lower shelf had $3.99 Frosted Flakes, Corn Pops and one other Kellogg's cereal; 350g-600g boxes.
    Frozen desserts-the open freezer end had 99 cent single serve Haagen-Daaz ice cream cups and something by Nestle. A nearby stand of Off products (sprays but no Clips) were 25% off next to a pillar and Great Outdoors sprays were 50% off (plain white and green cans).
    No brand name pop-those shelves are empty but some Compliments canned soda and 2L bottles exist.
    Produce section has very limited organic produce in packages plus dressings; no cut fruit or veg trays at all. Lots of almond and pistachio packages in the zone. Tubs of cotton candy for $2.99 there as well! Yves Ground Round and similar products are $2.49 and up. Bakery still has strudels and cakes.
    Meat-limited ground packages and some cuts/parts left.

~~~~~~~~~~~
    Fiesta Mall Fortino's-exterior construction continues but existing store remains open. Noticed parking lot medians near current store have been removed and relocated closer to Wendy's/Tim Horton's (tons of Cathedral students in line at Tim's this morning!). Dr Pepper (12 cans) is part of the $4.99 pop specials and package has $2 off next purchase coupons; the cherry version does not have the coupon. Have only seen those coupons on Food Basics packs of Dr. Pepper which are going for $4.49 this week.
    Walked to Battlefield Square-Value Village will have 50% off sale next Monday-June 23. Found a sewing pattern I wanted and bought it. Kin's Farm Market was open-looks to have many kinds of produce. Popped into Denninger's to collect flyer and get 99 cent chocolate bar near cash.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Target-Queenston and Nash-stationery dept endcap facing wall display of vacuum cleaners had 70% off Nate Berkus items: cork board ($13.99 now $3.99), pencil cup, organizer, magazine storage boxes, etc.
    Electronics dept still has Blu-Ray copies of Lego Movie and also the two-disc sets by the main aisle as you go past Toys.
    Noticed towel display wall only has solid towels visible! Quite the change from my Oct. visit. The limited patterned Threshold stock (in each style-token 1 or 2 bath and 1 hand towels) are in the aisles with coordinating shower curtains.
    Personal care-endcap facing out near the travel size items, some bottles (250ml?) of BB Creme were $29.99 are now $25.99. Saw a few vitamins on sale (Treehouse? with turtle graphic).
    Starbucks-finally has a couple of tables with chairs. Got the Black Diamond cheese coupon at cash after paying for baked goodie!

Saw the lovely construction signs coming down Centennial Pkwy near King (no vehicles/lane closures visible) but once bus reached Queenston/Cent. Pkwy, immediately north of intersection, lots of orange signs were visible.
    Anna Michele likes this.

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

I went today front section and meat allcleared out a lil frozen and a fair bit of shelf food and h&b left last day for 25% ooff up to 50% monday morning good luck comeback andpostyourhaul dontforget to use up those juneexp

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk
    FallenPixels likes this.
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I might go by in the morning
    Anna Michele likes this.
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    I might go by in the morning
    see u there
    eventhecerealat$5.99 -50% -$cpn = $2 and change for a bigboxnotbad
    ihaveabunchofweetabix coupons sovi wasvchecking it out but they onlyhad 200gboxes mycoupons aregoog on 400g only

Ohyeahandlots of granolabars
    Last edited by Anna Michele; Sun, Jun 22nd, 2014 at 05:06 PM.
    Season 40 Winners At War

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Broke your space bar??
    Anna Michele likes this.
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

Lol crackedmy phone it workssometimes

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk
    Season 40 Winners At War

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information