• 2 Post By tiffy1324
  • 2 Post By megansavingmoney
  • 2 Post By Ciel
  • 2 Post By DianneS
  • 1 Post By ilovecats
  • 1 Post By GeorgiaK
  • 2 Post By jamesfranco
  • 1 Post By Tierra Lemieux

Thread: Why do I have to train cashiers??

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    16 (100%)

I'm sure this rant has been posted a hundred times, but here it is again. Why don't companies train their staff on their policies for coupons and price matching? Why is it up to me, the customer, to train their staff?

The last two times I've tried to price match at Walmart, the staff haven't had a clue. The first trip, the cashier insisted that I couldn't price match and use a coupon on an item. The second trip, the (different) cashier didn't know if Walmart could price match with another province and also didn't know if you could use coupons and PM. Even though I showed her the ad-match policy, she needed to call the csm. Both times csm were on break! So we had to wait ages at the till and I felt bad for the people behind us. Csm finally arrives and everything is approved fine.

I joked that I would eventually get all the cashiers trained. But I really wish Walmart would train their staff, especially with the way they've pushed the ad-match policy.

Or have one till designated as couponing/Price Match till where the cashier is always trained and non-couponers don't get stuck behind us.
    This thread is currently associated with: Walmart
    elayjosh, Ciel, Decaf and 4 others like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Cashiers are probably just as confused when it comes to Ad Matching locally, provincially, or Canada-wide since it seems to be changing store by store, week in and week out. One day they are told one thing, a few days later another thing, and with the way shifts are, one cashier could easily miss out on a communication.
    hollyquaiscer and emg like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Yeah. I don't blame the individual cashiers, but Walmart as a whole. I wish they would spend a little time and money to improve customer service by training staff. And having a consistent policy would be nice as well.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Its for sure not just Walmart. Went to Target and my cashier had never entered coupons before -and heres my purchase with every item having a coupon. She started by changing the price of the item by the amount- instead of entering it as a coupon-. Manager had to come and fix the whole thing and re do the whole transaction. As a store that brags about thier coupon policy- all cashiers should be properly trained on how to process coupons.
    Ciel and sam786 like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    16 (100%)

I agree! I thought it might be because not that many people in my area use coupons. Which is crazy! Food here is so expensive!
    Ciel and sam786 like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I agree with the comments that stores need one dedicated coupon checkout with trained cashier. Might be the busiest till in the store!
    hollyquaiscer and sam786 like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

Ciel, I would prefer stores train all their cashiers properly. I can't imagine being stuck in a big line up of couponers....and I am one. Especially since, for every organized couponer, there seems to be one who dumps a whole pile of disorganized coupons on the belt at the end of the transaction and then starts digging in her binder for more. I'll take my chances in the regular line-ups...LOL. But yes, please train your cashiers on your store policies, retailers..
    Last edited by DianneS; Thu, Jun 26th, 2014 at 09:40 AM.
    Poirot and acosta like this.
    So many coupons....so little time!

Junior Canuck FreeIsMyFavourite's Avatar
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

having a separate line which is meant for couponing/price match would be awesome even if it allowed regular purchases through. but those customers would know they chose the couponing line!! so they cant get mad. I really do think that would be a great idea maybe you could email walmart and tell them about your idea!!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

They won't do it....designating certain registers as ones for ad matching and coupons only, they consider that to be discriminatory. Plus, no cashier wants to spend their shift doing nothing but ad matching and coupons. Then you have the issue that doing it that way, you'll get cashiers who are never fully and completely trained on either aspect. At least with allowing it to happen at all registers, all cashiers are subjected to ad matching and coupons.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

We assume that couponers are in the majority. We are a very small number that pms and uses coupons as compared to the masses of customers that don't. Why would stores bother opening a special queue for us?
    DianneS likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This reminds me of a time when a cashier was looking at a coupon at Shoppers and he said he wasn't sure what kind it was so my mother recited off all of the buttons for him to press to ring it in (F2, F1, etc.) She somehow had learned it subconciously without even trying to learn it, and now she often has to help the cashiers do it haha.
    Ciel and DianneS like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It all starts at the top. Complain to the HEAD OFFICE, who should be training ALL THEIR Front End Managers, in ALL the stores. THAT IS WHERE THE COMMUNICATION BREAKS DOWN. Only a few ppl are told of any new policies, or are taught the proper way of doing things in WM. Trust me on this, I am retired from there. If you don't get satifaction at the store level, then go higher. The biggest problem is communication, it only happens between a privleged few.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    87 (97%)

I was a cashier at Wal-Mart.

The Ad-Match policy is not part of Cashier training.
    The cashier called a CSM cover their ass.

TRUST NOBODY IS WAL-MART'S UNWRTITTEN CASHIER POLICY. FOR SOME UNNOWN REASON THE CASHIER WAS NOT SURE THEY COULD BELEIEVE YOU .ANY CUSTOMER WOULD BE CONSIDERED SUSPICIOUS.
    megansavingmoney likes this.

Thread Information