User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: I suspected as much...Dollar stores

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I just couldn't imagine using a dollar store pregnancy test.

When I was, I took a home test and it was positive.
    Went to the doc, the pee test results there were negative.
    Blood test was positive, though.

Mia
    Female
    Trading Score
    70 (100%)

I think, Dollarama sells brand name products which are intending for selling in developing countries. I mean, they are cheap and made by using less expensive materials (products), or, in the best case, are simply discontinued. For example, if you noticed, brand name shampoos are more watery, yes, because, L'Oreal, for example, made those shampoos for Uzbekistan, not for Canada, USA or Germany, etc...

Of course, I don't mean, all the brand name products but mostly yes. I don't know, how Dollarama obtains those products but that is my observation. That's why Dollarama Hershey's Kisses chocolate tastes strange, not chocolately-milky, and so on...

Also, of course, the size of the items. Just be careful. You can buy bigger sizes at Walmart much cheaper than in Dollarama (and that is by not using coupons). And Walmart often sells the same sizes as well by the same price and sometimes cheaper than Dollarama.

No, I don't say, Dollarama items are bad just they have to be much more cheaper, taking into consideration their quality. For example, shampoos are not worth $3 which is a sale price of those at No Frills or Walmart. Considering their quality, they have to be 50 cents the most. But what is sadly more paradoxical, the same shampoos (Dollarama quality) are sold by much more expensive prices in poor developing countries where people can hardly afford to buy them.
    Last edited by Mia; Wed, Jul 9th, 2014 at 11:43 AM.
    Relax, enjoy your coffee (tea) and earn money! Any time, when you want! http://www.clixsense.com/?5881505
    And earn Amazon and other gift cards as well, fast and easy! Anyone can!
    https://www.swagbucks.com/refer/zerehas

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    For example, if you noticed, brand name shampoos are more watery, yes, because, L'Oreal, for example, made those shampoos for Uzbekistan, not for Canada, USA or Germany, etc...
    I don't believe that. Why would they be sold here at a discount, if that was the case?

I'm more in the camp that they get to buy ends of lines, or products that have a defect. Sometimes it's not necessarily the product itself but the packaging that has something wrong. By not selling it to big-name stores like Shoppers, or Loblaws, they're protecting their customer as much as their brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    That's why Dollarama Hershey's Kisses chocolate tastes strange, not chocolately-milky, and so on...
    It's the same as I'm explain above. I've been to the Hershey factory store, and most of what they sell are products that didn't pass quality inspection - so the only place they could sell it was in their own store - or passed on to discount retailers.

Mia
    Female
    Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyetea View Post
    I don't believe that. Why would they be sold here at a discount, if that was the case?

I'm more in the camp that they get to buy ends of lines, or products that have a defect. Sometimes it's not necessarily the product itself but the packaging that has something wrong. By not selling it to big-name stores like Shoppers, or Loblaws, they're protecting their customer as much as their brand.

It's the same as I'm explain above. I've been to the Hershey factory store, and most of what they sell are products that didn't pass quality inspection - so the only place they could sell it was in their own store - or passed on to discount retailers.
    Because they worth less.

Once I read an article about Huggies wipes which an Indian businessman brought from England and sold here, at Dollarama. So those Huggies wipes caused staphylococcus infection in babies. I read that from Health Canada website. God knows, in what country those wipes were intended to be sold. Here, in Canada, he was caught, and the wipes have been recalled. But I highly suspect that every product which enters Dollarama, is inspected. After all, those wipes have already been sold and some babies have already been infected in Canada.

BTW, the same is about those make up remover wipes which are still being sold in Dollarama. Maybe now they bring new ones which don't contain those bacteria but maybe not... And Huggies wipes are also still being sold...

My point is you never know from where and how the items in Dollarama are brought, how Dollarama obtains all those brand name products.
    Last edited by Mia; Wed, Jul 9th, 2014 at 11:41 PM.
    lecale likes this.
    Relax, enjoy your coffee (tea) and earn money! Any time, when you want! http://www.clixsense.com/?5881505
    And earn Amazon and other gift cards as well, fast and easy! Anyone can!
    https://www.swagbucks.com/refer/zerehas

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Mon, Jan 19th, 2015 at 07:56 PM.
    Mia likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Mon, Jan 19th, 2015 at 07:56 PM.
    Natalka and Mia like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Some brand name stuff is made by other companies and the brand name is just licensed by the other conpanies.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    I just couldn't imagine using a dollar store pregnancy test.

When I was, I took a home test and it was positive.
    Went to the doc, the pee test results there were negative.
    Blood test was positive, though.
    When I was first pregnant with my second, I had a strong feeling I was pregnant and the dollar store tests were the ONLY ones that gave me a positive and I used everything from the 20.00 Clear Blue ones to store brands.
    I don't buy much from the dollar store, mainly gift supplies/candy and on occasion bubble bath.
    ROMEO likes this.

KK7
    Female
    Trading Score
    618 (100%)

YIKES is all I have to say O bought Aveeno, Huggies Wipes now I am second guessing no more for me!!!
    Natalka and ROMEO like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    It's been bothering me since spring, and I've finally had the time to do a little searching around for anything that might support my suspicion so that I didn't feel it was "just me".

I quite like the Garnier Frictis shampoos and conditioners...they work very well for my hair. So I was excited to find the exact shampoo, in the exact bottle, at a local dollar store. I'm not sure which one, we have two different ones scattered around town. I bought a couple and was really pleased at the price.
    However! It was NOT the shampoo I was accustomed to! I had to keep adding shampoo to get the sMe foamy suds that I was used to and it still felt "watered down"! I thought it might just have been that one bottle, so I opened the other one the next day. Same thing. Okay, the game was on!
    I then picked up that shampoo a our RCSS, and used it the next day. THAT was the Fructis I was missing!
    So....I wondered IF those. brand-name products were just pale imitation of the real products.

Today I found this, and was thrilled that I wasn't the only one making those observations!
    http://money.msn.com/saving-money-ti...a-dollar-store
    #3: shampoo and beauty products....

I've stuck to my shampoo from RCSS, and used the other two in hand soap dispensers. They certainly didn't do what was expected of them as hair shampoo!

What are your thoughts? Any similar experiences?
    if I've posted this in the wrong location, please move it...
    Most probably it is the same exact product from the manufacturer... HOWEVER and Having said this... I will point out the following.

Stock at Dollar Stores are USUALLY things purchased at

a) Out of Business Auctions
    b) Going out of business sales
    c) Bulk purchase at places like a factory that is closing etc.

Basically its "old stock" never bought new from a manufacturer, this means it has already been sitting on a shelf for a few months to a year sometimes, that means the products needs some loving care when using. If you bought shampoo, shake the bottle well so the chemicals mix up once more for example, make sure no expiration date is printed and if so, make sure its not expired. etc etc.

They don't call it a "Dollar" store for nothing, things are cheaper because thye paid nothing or almost nothing, that item you purchased for a dollar cost them MAYBE 10 cents...
    ROMEO and sweetmomma like this.

The above service is for the Ottawa Area! Feel free to contact us for any of your computer or Desktop Publishing needs.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Interesting thread...

Silk
    ROMEO likes this.
    Have a great life!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information